All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Paying a fee for Vertainen too.

If a manager brings money in, they get money to spend. Two of our biggest earners have taken pay cuts, we've lost Melamed, we earned seven figures more than budgeted for last season, highly likely to sell at least one player for 6 figures in this window, then obviously winning one Euro tie guarantees us £3m+.

I'm not for a second suggesting you'd get yourselves into trouble by signing Stewart or that. Just seems to be a case of Brown breaking his usual policy. Would be a very expensive flop, but not that big of a risk IMO.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Paying a fee for Vertainen too.

If a manager brings money in, they get money to spend. Two of our biggest earners have taken pay cuts, we've lost Melamed, we earned seven figures more than budgeted for last season, highly likely to sell at least one player for 6 figures in this window, then obviously winning one Euro tie guarantees us £3m+.

£3m for winning 1 European game 🤔 Champions League money is usually £333 000 per point in the group stage. 

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not for a second suggesting you'd get yourselves into trouble by signing Stewart or that. Just seems to be a case of Brown breaking his usual policy. Would be a very expensive flop, but not that big of a risk IMO.

We've always been willing to pay big money for "proven" players. Mays, now reduced, contract had him up as our highest ever according to rumours. Fat Tommy just liked to moan about a lack of money to make himself look better.

Just now, Yenitit said:

£3m for winning 1 European game 🤔 Champions League money is usually £333 000 per point in the group stage. 

Win one tie and we're in the groups of a tournament, which hands you £3m. That's what was reported anyway.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've always been willing to pay big money for "proven" players. Mays, now reduced, contract had him up as our highest ever according to rumours. Fat Tommy just liked to moan about a lack of money to make himself look better.

We apparently fund Charlie Adam through local businesses. The Marrs and Kilmac have been linked to playing a part of paying his wages. He is apparently on somewhere around £5k (although some suggestion has been nearer £3k).

These groups would be willing to back us for a 'break the bank' type signing but it's apparently a figure that we don't want to touch. Can just about understand you lads going for him with European money but don't know where St Mirren are getting that sort of money.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Win one tie and we're in the groups of a tournament, which hands you £3m. That's what was reported anyway.

You sure….

You need to effectively qualify out of the Champions League group stage to earn that sort of dough.  Nae wonder Barcelona, Real and Juve want to start a super league when all the European money is getting used on Europa League group stage qualifying matches 😂

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

We apparently fund Charlie Adam through local businesses. The Marrs and Kilmac have been linked to playing a part of paying his wages. He is apparently on somewhere around £5k (although some suggestion has been nearer £3k).

These groups would be willing to back us for a 'break the bank' type signing but it's apparently a figure that we don't want to touch. Can just about understand you lads going for him with European money but don't know where St Mirren are getting that sort of money.

I'm confident we won't be near £5k a week.

I've no idea why Dundee can't afford Stewart, but that doesn't equal us spending that amount. As far as I know we barely give players basic wages over 6 figures a year.

I'm confident we won't be near £5k a week.

I've no idea why Dundee can't afford Stewart, but that doesn't equal us spending that amount. As far as I know we barely give players basic wages over 6 figures a year.

Well, that's what the Courier says... it's money we don't want to compete with.

I mean, if you're confident in that £3m figure then he'd pay for himself if he helped you qualify.

3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

You sure….

You need to effectively qualify out of the Champions League group stage to earn that sort of dough.  Nae wonder Barcelona, Real and Juve want to start a super league when all the European money is getting used on Europa League group stage qualifying matches 😂

Screenshot_20210726-182443_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3fead6db6d332ea24bb306f386b6c053.jpg

Best chance for us is the Conference League, as Galatasaray will batter us out the Europa.

We obviously can't afford him - the £25k a week we pay Brophy has stretched us slightly [emoji849]

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Well, that's what the Courier says... it's money we don't want to compete with.

I'd say there's more chance someone external at your end isnt willing to fund another wage on top of Adams, than us spending £5k a week on anyone.

What I could see is us offering mammoth bonuses if we make it to the groups.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'd say there's more chance someone external at your end isnt willing to fund another wage on top of Adams, than us spending £5k a week on anyone.

What I could see is us offering mammoth bonuses if we make it to the groups.

Well, either way, it's a wage that our Americans, that have been free spending in their 8 year at the club haven't even bothered to compete with again, according to the Courier. If it makes you feel happier that he's joining you for a dairy milk and some bonuses, have at it.

Everything points to the opposite being the case though.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Well, either way, it's a wage that our Americans, that have been free spending in their 8 year at the club haven't even bothered to compete with again, according to the Courier. If it makes you feel happier that he's joining you for a dairy milk and some bonuses, have at it.

Everything points to the opposite being the case though.

I'd imagine Stewart will be offered a wage that makes him one of, if not the, highest earners at the club.

I don't believe we'll be spending anywhere near £5k a week on him.

Our "top end" will be £2.5k-£3k at most. At best I can see him earning in the top end of that bracket plus having the hefty seasonal bonuses we pay on top. 

I've no idea why Dundee "can't compete" with us for him tbh. Maybe you just don't want him and this spin is to prevent the club from criticism if he signs elsewhere?

Best of luck to gorgeous wherever he ends up. I'd enjoy him back at Dens but if its not to be then it's not to be.

Regarding earlier discussion, I'm pretty much bricking it going into the new season with the options we have in defence. They're another year older and haven't proven themselves as a formidable shield at a lower level. I'm baffled that people could watch us last season and think those same players will cut it at a higher level. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd imagine Stewart will be offered a wage that makes him one of, if not the, highest earners at the club.

I don't believe we'll be spending anywhere near £5k a week on him.

Our "top end" will be £2.5k-£3k at most. At best I can see him earning in the top end of that bracket plus having the hefty seasonal bonuses we pay on top. 

I've no idea why Dundee "can't compete" with us for him tbh. Maybe you just don't want him and this spin is to prevent the club from criticism if he signs elsewhere?

Why would a local journo that covers St Johnstone and the two Dundee clubs be trying to put spin on it?

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

Best of luck to gorgeous wherever he ends up. I'd enjoy him back at Dens but if its not to be then it's not to be.

Regarding earlier discussion, I'm pretty much bricking it going into the new season with the options we have in defence. They're another year older and haven't proven themselves as a formidable shield at a lower level. I'm baffled that people could watch us last season and think those same players will cut it at a higher level. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

100% this. Shitting it.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why would a local journo that covers St Johnstone and the two Dundee clubs be trying to put spin on it?

I'm not saying he is?

Journalists only report what they're told from those inside clubs.

I had Dundee midfielder Shaun Byrne on my podcast recently if anyone fancies giving it a listen it’d be much appreciated, any feedback welcome also, hope everyone enjoys 👍🏻⚽

Youtube: 

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0KQfjoxwDUeOAPr8B9dcjG?si=n8GeFxd1TxejtB1W5Nr50A&dl_branch=1

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-shaun-byrne/id1570371231?i=1000530036453