Mr Gandosaur

All things Dundee FC

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think McInnes was on a million a year with the sheep, and for what? abject failure and constant runners up. No thanks.

I’d give my left nut for his abject failures and constant runners up at Dundee 

2 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

I hate playing this game when we already have a manager as I think if McPake gets us promoted he should be our manager next season, no question. However if I really had to choose, my 3 would be: (I have my tin hat on for the last one)

1. Peter Grant
2. Paul Hartley (doubt he’d come back)
3. Kevin Thomson

Glad you enjoyed the beer gardens mate. 

7 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

I actually reckon Kevin Thomson could be a great coach/gaffer but I don’t think we can afford to finance another outside the box punt

28 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Not if you're chucking a million a year at the bearded wonder.

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Think McInnes was on a million a year with the sheep, and for what? abject failure and constant runners up. No thanks.

30 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

As above, me too @D TOTAL, however a reputed million per annum is not value for money, especially even at our Dens Park.

As per my previous posting, Tommy Wright, Tony Docherty and Charlie Adam, with considerable financial change leftover, happy days hopefully all round.

Only if James McPake is replaced though, which is highly unlikely however regardless what we think.

John Nelms', please read our pages and collective thoughts for goodness sake.

🖖 

I'm gonna put my tin hat on and say I'd give McPake another go if he gets us through to the final and whilst getting put out, we're not disgraced. I don't think McPake is the future and I don't think he's done a great job, but he'd have done enough to stay on to have another go.

My top 3 realistic choices would be:

1. Paul Hartley (the marmite option)

2. Stewart Petrie

3. Tony Docherty

We could get in any manager and the rot would still be there.

Something much deeper than a managerial appointment is wrong at Dens.

That being said, let's get through the "promotion rollercoaster" first.

46 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Not been to any. Like I said, I’d keep McPake but that’s the realistic options. Folk suggesting McInnes, Robinson, Alec Neil and Lennon etc f**k me🤣

Edited by RossDee01

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm gonna put my tin hat on and say I'd give McPake another go if he gets us through to the final and whilst getting put out, we're not disgraced. I don't think McPake is the future and I don't think he's done a great job, but he'd have done enough to stay on to have another go.

This is spot on. People have been complaining all season that we have the 2nd best this and the 2nd best that. Well, we finished 2nd and the same folk are still moaning. McPake hasn’t done that bad all things considered and we finished the season where expected.

Edited by RossDee01

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

Seventeen (17!) thousand pounds per week of a wage. 

No thank you, senor. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Seventeen (17!) thousand pounds per week of a wage. 

No thank you, senor. 

57 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Not if you're chucking a million a year at the bearded wonder.

I doubt it’s a million quid a year although in this I could well be wrong, but for as long as DM has been at Aberdeen their football he been fairly decent all in, Constantly challenging for 2nd and latterly(with gers) 3rd it’s only really been this season, the season everything worldwide, never mind football wise has went to pot that he had finally lost it.

I don’t think even Aberdeen have the revenue to support £1 mill per year for the gaffer, but if that’s the case I wonder what their players are on?

Just now, D TOTAL said:

I doubt it’s a million quid a year

He was about to 'leave' for Sunderland and Aberdeen asked what it would take to make him stay. HD said if they matched what Sunderland offered, he would. 

Aberdeen gave him a bumper £17k a week contract because he was finishing second - in a league where they had the second highest budget. 

That's like Dundee giving McPake a massive deal this summer - the only difference being nobody else will want the gormless bugger. 

In a few years time all folk will remember about McInnes was his maintenance of a decent beard, and "concomitant". That's literally it. 

50 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

This is spot on. People have been complaining all season that we have the 2nd best this and the 2nd best that. Well, we finished 2nd and the same folk are still moaning. McPake hasn’t done that bad all things considered and we finished the season where expected.

Ooft. What things considered?

Edited by Yenitit

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He was about to 'leave' for Sunderland and Aberdeen asked what it would take to make him stay. HD said if they matched what Sunderland offered, he would. 

Aberdeen gave him a bumper £17k a week contract because he was finishing second - in a league where they had the second highest budget. 

That's like Dundee giving McPake a massive deal this summer - the only difference being nobody else will want the gormless bugger. 

I think that’s being a bit disingenuous, I agree in this current league we are In we are second to hearts , if we were in top flight we would be a bottom 6 financed whereas hearts,hibs and I’d stick my neck out and say yinited would be paying roughly the same as dons

3 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

whereas hearts,hibs and I’d stick my neck out and say yinited would be paying roughly the same as dons

According to the top returns on Google (which can never be trusted, I know) they all have Aberdeen wages being 3 times more than Hibs and Dundee United - the two teams closest to them in the top flight. 

Anyone but Killie in the playoffs please. 

Thank you. 

To be fair, McInnes got St Johnstone to the top flight which they've never been out of since, did he not?

I think McInnes gets a hard time. Very good manager. Did he underperform with Aberdeen? At times, yeah. He had a golden opportunity to win a title for a non-OF team when Rangers were out of the league and Celtic had Deila, but even then, the odds are stacked massively, massively against them to the point that it's not even worth bringing up to hold against him.

Could he have won another couple of cups? Sure, he didn't disgrace Aberdeen except against Celtic in those sorts of tournaments though which again, isn't unexpected.

Did he deserve the £17k? Absolutely not. That was the point Aberdeen should have let him go instead of letting his Aberdeen career fizzle out.

As for Hartley, he should have been punted that same night McInnes' Aberdeen put 7 past us. He'd firmly ran out of ideas and it was one of the most humiliating results in my lifetime alongside the first 6-2 derby defeat, Gretna scudding us in a semi final and Airdrie putting 7 past us. That said, he also gave us some of the best attacking football I'd seen since the Bonetti's. He gave us the Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings combo that can be talked of in the same light as Coyne and Wright for the younger generation. He gave us our first legitimate promotion since we'd been fucked since 2005. He gave us our first top 6 finish since 2000. 

He then lost Stewart and Hemmings and fell out with GGH (with the rumour being that GGH's position was pretty much untenable after what went on). If United lost Shankland, Siegrist and Nicky Clark next season, they'd be in a relegation scrap. If pretty much any top flight team lost their 3 talisman, they'd be fucked. 

I've said before, but Hartley is in his 11th season of management. 2 of those seasons have been complete disasters. 1 season would cause debate(his second season up with us finishing 8th). His other 7? 4 promotions, a top 6 finish, saving Falkirk when they looked doomed and currently has Cove a bawhair away from getting the title ahead of two full time teams in Partick Thistle and Falkirk and whilst ultimately missing out on that title in the final 2 games, it's still really impressive stuff and he still has a chance of making Cove a Championship club by the season's end.

Compare that record to pretty much every other manager in Scotland and find me someone who's record is better than that. I'd wager that there'd be no more than a handful of names.

Fair enough, I get the idea that we should never go back as it's such a Dundee thing to do, but he's quite clearly been a successful and quality manager over his tenure as a manager and still our best since at least Jocky's 2nd spell if not Archie Knox.

Edited by Ludo*1