All things Dundee FC

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Anyway gents, POTY?

Ooft that’s a difficult question. Could you give it to McMullan who’s only played about a dozen games? He’s the 1 who immediately jumps out as making a huge difference to us. Really like the wee diving arab b*****d!

12 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Not a clue, hasn’t been that many stand outs so for that I’d probably say McMullan as he has probably made the most consistent contributions.

Honourable mention for Max Anderson and from January onwards Lee Ashcroft coming up with some big goals.

11 minutes ago, Robin.Hood said:

Here we go. First Post we can agree on. End this on a good note 🙂

The Inbetweeners Thumbs Up GIFFootball friends 

Edited by Yenitit

On 30/04/2021 at 23:38, The Master said:

I'm probably forgetting something obvious but have we ever played in a play-off before? 

In a promotion/relegation play-off? No, never in our history.

In any kind of play-off? Yes, on two occasions.

- In 1898, we needed to play Partick Thistle in a play-off game to decide who would finish in 7th place. Dundee won 2-0 with goals from Bill McArthur and John Malloch.

- In 1919, we played Cowdenbeath in a two-legged play-off final in the Eastern Division, as we weren't allowed in the SFL due to travel costs during WWI. Dundee won both games, 3-1 on aggregate, to win the 'championship'.

So technically we're 100% in play-off games we've played in so far.

Edit: Still the case after this, so just for posterity:

- In 2021, we defeated Raith Rovers 3-1 on aggregate over two legs in the Scottish Premiership play-off semis, and went on to defeat Premiership side Kilmarnock 4-2 on aggregate in the play-off final to gain promotion.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Ross County would undoubtedly be the preferred option for me should we get past Raith/Dunfermline. Hamilton would survive the fucking meteor that killed the dinosaurs. 

Fair play to McPake for scraping second place, however should we go up, if we're to show even a modicum of ambition, we need to try to get a proven manager in. Being slightly better than most of the sides in the weakest 2nd tier for years is one thing, coming up against Premier teams is quite another. 

2 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Love the Dee's in their every shape and form.

45 points out of 81 and finishing second in a sub-standard league. 

Regardless of the play-off results, decisions have to be made regarding the existing management team.

That is the reality in the real world I'm afraid.

Well done however to all this fine evening.  

Spot on, we haven't improved in 2 years under current regime

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Paul McGowan for me.

foil hat tinfoil kevin GIF by The Tick

This is my thoughts too.

Unpopular choice but the only player that has been constant for the whole season, a few errors but cancelled out by some brilliance at times.

6 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

are we the only fans who have a large part of our support who will moan like f**k about anything......we are on a good run finished 2nd and have a good crack at going up....i get the feeling that if dundee were to play man city in the champions league final and lose 5-4 on pens boys would be right on here greeting and wanting boys sacked 🤣

Some boys will be wanting McPake fired on the strength of the above post alone! Losing to Man City in a game that never happened, useless chunt has to go.

Fontaine = POTY

The stats prove it.

Not only has the wee no necked c**t been excellent in every one of his games he’s the sort of player you want to watch. Can’t remember who the last player we had who I felt that way about. Apparently though some lads on FB were slagging him like 2 weeks ago. He’s been ‘found out’ - ‘flatters to deceive’. Dear dear.

39 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Fontaine = POTY

The stats prove it.

Not only has the wee no necked c**t been excellent in every one of his games he’s the sort of player you want to watch. Can’t remember who the last player we had who I felt that way about. Apparently though some lads on FB were slagging him like 2 weeks ago. He’s been ‘found out’ - ‘flatters to deceive’. Dear dear.

At it.

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

In a promotion/relegation play-off? No, never in our history.

In any kind of play-off? Yes, on two occasions.

- In 1898, we needed to play Partick Thistle in a play-off game to decide who would finish in 7th place. Dundee won 2-0 with goals from Bill McArthur and John Malloch.

- In 1919, we played Cowdenbeath in a two-legged play-off final in the Eastern Division, as we weren't allowed in the SFL due to travel costs during WWI. Dundee won both games, 3-1 on aggregate, to win the 'championship'.

So technically we're 100% in play-off games we've played in so far.

Great info Ross 👏

10 hours ago, Meeniedee said:

are we the only fans who have a large part of our support who will moan like f**k about anything......we are on a good run finished 2nd and have a good crack at going up....i get the feeling that if dundee were to play man city in the champions league final and lose 5-4 on pens boys would be right on here greeting and wanting boys sacked 🤣

I'm afraid we're some distance from the above scenario. 

• 2019/20 - League cup vs Aberdeen (home) 1-2 - bottles a 1-0 lead late on
  • 2019/20 - Scottish Cup vs Motherwell (home) 0-3 - Motherwell with the cigars out
  • 2020/21 - League Cup vs Hibernian (away) 1-4 - Well at least we managed one here. Another stroll for the opposition though
  • 2020/21 - League Cup vs Hibernian (away) 0-1 - I think this was the game where we didn't have a single shot on target
  • 2020/21 - Scottish Cup vs St Johnstone (home) 0-1 - Out with a bit of a whimper in a totally predictable scoreline

In McPake's favour, he has (by the skin of his teeth) achieved what was expected before the start of the season. No one with any sense would have expected us to finish above Hearts of course. However it's been nothing like convincing and i think it's fair to say that with his strongest squad available we can generally get a result at this level. The problems come when he loses a couple of players, or has to adapt to a set back in a game. He demonstrably isn't capable of this, and that's in the second tier with a considerably stronger squad than anyone else bar Hearts. Whilst you could argue he deserves a shot at the Prem having got us up (if that comes to pass) - do you then risk a Neil McCann scenario where the start is so utterly terrible that we're effectively down after a quarter, or do you say "Thanks James, you did an average to reasonable job, here's a wee pay off" (OR at the very least get someone with good premier league experience in beside him). 

I'm afraid we're some distance from the above scenario. 
  • 2019/20 - League cup vs Aberdeen (home) 1-2 - bottles a 1-0 lead late on
  • 2019/20 - Scottish Cup vs Motherwell (home) 0-3 - Motherwell with the cigars out
  • 2020/21 - League Cup vs Hibernian (away) 1-4 - Well at least we managed one here. Another stroll for the opposition though
  • 2020/21 - League Cup vs Hibernian (away) 0-1 - I think this was the game where we didn't have a single shot on target
  • 2020/21 - Scottish Cup vs St Johnstone (home) 0-1 - Out with a bit of a whimper in a totally predictable scoreline
In McPake's favour, he has (by the skin of his teeth) achieved what was expected before the start of the season. No one with any sense would have expected us to finish above Hearts of course. However it's been nothing like convincing and i think it's fair to say that with his strongest squad available we can generally get a result at this level. The problems come when he loses a couple of players, or has to adapt to a set back in a game. He demonstrably isn't capable of this, and that's in the second tier with a considerably stronger squad than anyone else bar Hearts. Whilst you could argue he deserves a shot at the Prem having got us up (if that comes to pass) - do you then risk a Neil McCann scenario where the start is so utterly terrible that we're effectively down after a quarter, or do you say "Thanks James, you did an average to reasonable job, here's a wee pay off" (OR at the very least get someone with good premier league experience in beside him). 

I think what's frustrating is that we could and should have been a lot closer to Hearts.

Too many matches drawn that we should have won.

1-0 up vs Raith - lost a goal 4 minutes from the end.

3-3 draw vs Alloa - yes we were 3-1 down but we should really be beating teams like that.

1-0 up vs Inverness and looking comfortable then we conceded 2 goals in 3 minutes - thankfully got a 2-2 draw.

3-0 up vs Dunfermline with 12 minutes to go - drew 3-3.

1-0 vs Arbroath - finished 1-1 as we didn't turn up the second half.

Add in losses vs Ayr (2-0, 1-3), Queen of the South (3-2), 2 x draws vs Morton (2-2, 1-1), an insipid 0-0 vs Dunfermline, and a 1-1 draw against 9 man Inverness - no wonder we are annoyed.

Against the bottom 4 teams we have dropped 14 points - just not good enough.