All things Dundee FC

10 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

aye think our 3rd goal brought the internet to a standstill.

You'd think Dundee being the box office club we are, that they would be prepared. All of those ads and all the money we bring their way etc.

As happy as i am with recent performances it leaves me with resentment that the issues within the squad were left for so long that we couldn't even give Hearts some competition.

At the moment i have a shred of hope for the play offs, but can't help thinking that McPake stumbled upon this formation  and personnel - especially considering McDaid should be at Partick.

I have the formation and largely the personnel i moaned for all season but can't help feel the months of misery have cost us another season. That is down to poor management i'm afraid, however let me stress i'm currently content in this moment.

Unfortunately the season will be summarised through the whole stramash - there's only one outcome that can meet the clubs targets.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yip, which despite the inevitable "see, told you" nonsense from McCann fans on here, I could almost stomach if it meant the end of McPake.

I don't come on here much but, seriously, are there actually people who think McCann was anything other than a complete disaster? 

Legz is undoubtedly an upgrade, but I think the upturn is about a lot more than just the change of keeper. 
McMullan has made a night and day difference to our ability to play formations with a back four and still pose a threat going forward, and the emergence of Anderson as a good box-to-box option has meant that we can finally play a legit 4-4-2. 
Concede that the point you are making about goals conceded is perfectly legit, but the team performances as a whole have been a lot better since Legz took the #1 jersey, and I think that's mostly down to other additions and changes.
Was looking at the table last night and noticed that only Hearts have scored more than us in the league. The scary bit is that only Queens and Alloa have conceded more, and not just that, but behind us there's a gap of about 9-10 goals until the next worst defence. You're quite possibly absolutely correct, in that even if we'd had a league-average defence since day 1 of the season, we'd most likely be in the thick of a title race.

Agree totally.

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Hearts has this thing won? Not sure what they've done the last 8 weeks to ensure any confidence they won't be a dumpster fire the final 5 matches and blow it?

If we had the usual 36 games then I'd totally agree, but they only need 4-5 points minimum out of 12 available to win the league, and that's insinuating either we or Raith win every single one of our last 5 games, which tbh I doubt.

Here's hoping you're right though!

Neilsons arse collapsed at the same time in the season with the DAB's, and we all know how that turned out. Good luck to Hearts, because they're going to need it. Shocking state of affairs, him strolling this league. IMO.

Controversial, but I think Paul McGowan has been back to his absolute best since being back in CM. He gave away a goal against Ayr in the home fixture about a month ago, but other than that he's been consistently one of the best players on the park.

Just the other night, the second goal was all him. He had the wherewithal to bully the defender who was trying to usher it out of play, do one of his famous pirouettes and allow us to kill the game by keeping the ball alive and setting that goal up. Then our third was the goal of the season for us IMO.

People say he's not got legs and put him in that bracket with Adam as not doing a lot of running but he does an absolute power of work in the midfield area harassing the opposition.

This is his 7th season as a Dee. He deserves at least another.

On paper, he's probably the midfielder that drops out for Adam, but it's a credit to himself that he's keeping himself in the team just now and I don't buy that it's just because he and McPake are mates.

ETA: I'd also add, that it's his play that's allowing Anderson to drive into the opposition box time and time again and ensuring the midfield area is safe in the same way Shaun Byrne would do as well.

Edited by Ludo*1

5 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Neilsons arse collapsed at the same time in the season with the DAB's, and we all know how that turned out. Good luck to Hearts, because they're going to need it. Shocking state of affairs, him strolling this league. IMO.

Does "DAB" refer to Dundee United and what is the meaning?

11 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Am I the only one who doesn't think Hearts has this thing won? Not sure what they've done the last 8 weeks to ensure any confidence they won't be a dumpster fire the final 5 matches and blow it?

I can see Hearts folding over the final few weeks, but I think the gap is too big to close and they'll limp over the line in any case because I think both ourselves and Raith will still drop points between now the end of April.

It's why this season has been so infuriating. Just looking at the table, Hearts lead is such that you'd assume they've been fairly dominant across the season and strolled the league, when in reality Dundee, for example, have consistently dropped silly points here and there, blown leads, inconsistent form etc. Had we been a bit better able to turn just a couple of those draws into wins, losses into draws, even half-a-dozen more points would have made the title an actual competition.

At this point, I'm really just hoping that our settled side and run of form continues on into next season and we can challenge for the title then in a league without a team with a budget the size of Hearts. The concerning thing is that before last season's league was called, we were in a very similar position, in that we had a settled side that was consistently grinding out positive results and yet that didn't carry over at all into this season, and it's taken us 20 games to get our shit together yet again.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Gowser can absolutely be a decent/good player at this level if he’s alongside someone that has the legs (like Anderson or even Byrne). Paired with Adam it just doesn’t work; but possibly bringing one on for the other at around 55/60 minutes every other game could have some benefits. I think McPake is starting to see that they both can’t play together or play a full match at full power for more than 1 game at a time.

25 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Jazza Manager of the Month.  Congrats. The results and performances have been better. Let’s hope the curse of manager of the month doesn’t rear its ugly head for a pishy end to the campaign.   

Yep well done to McPake and congrats. Some people can’t get in here quick enough to have a go at him when things aren’t going well so it’s only right that he gets the credit he deserves when they do. I’ve said on numerous occasions that I don’t think he’s the man for the job however if he can pull promotion out the bag hen I will happily hold my hands up and admit that I was wrong. 

Edited by RossDee01

It shouldn't be taking him 20+ games to get to grips with this division, spot the flaws in the side and correct them every season. Apart from that, yes, credit where credit is due. He sorted it in Feb and March last season, and so far in March and April of this we've actually looked like the team I had hoped we'd be back in September.