All things Dundee FC

If a goalkeeper can't organise his defense properly then there will be goals that he can't save per say but were his fault indirectly in the first place. A top keeper ensures the defenders are doing their job by making sure they're not blind sided and doing their job.

There's a reason Adam Legzdins has kept double (2) the number of clean sheets in the league as Jack Hamilton has in 5 appearances (compared to Hamilton's 13)  and a reason Calum Ferrie has played 3 times and only 1 clean sheet off Hamilton.

A good goalkeeper is the foundation of a tight defense.

Jack Hamilton is absolutely rancid, inspires zero confidence and we've looked better as a defensive unit since Legzdins has came in whether or not you think his shot stopping ability isn't that great.

I wouldn't be against looking for better in the summer but for now, Legzdins is the bona fide number 1 and deservedly so.

Edited by Ludo*1

10 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

I don’t think anyone has said that about Hamilton this season, I’m sure what I’d said is we should punt them all.

tbf to Hamilton against QoS a someone conceded a penalty in the first 2 minutes an unfortunate OG and a worldie from Gibson , I don’t blame Hamilton for any of those goals

Morton was another worldie 

did well against both Inverness and hearts before he was dropped for Arbroath 

again I’m not advocating him as our number one but I’m not convinced of ledzgins either and come the new season they should all be punted ,(if jack has the extra year I’m happy to have him as the sub keeper)

Fair one, didn't read your original post properly.

Thank you.

16 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Thinking about our formation. Could we play Byrne as an old fashioned sweeper. Pair whatever 2 of our centre halves you hate the least with the wee no neck c**t and Marshall as wing backs. Then McGhee, Adam and Anderson in midfield with Cumdog and Mullen up front.

Why when 4-4-2 is clearly working. 

Surely even McPake won’t move away from this formation 🤦🏻‍♂️

If he does change formation and we get beat I’m driving down to Ayr for a square go!

Edited by Yenitit

19 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Surely even McPake won’t move away from this formation 🤦🏻‍♂️

If he does change formation and we get beat I’m driving down to Ayr for a square go!

If gary Irvine is with him , I’d not bother with square go 

Surely even McPake won’t move away from this formation [emoji2359]

I was trying to accommodate Charlie who I don’t think can work in a 442, certainly without McGhee. Plus as everyone thinks Cammy is pish and Elliot has been responsible for giving away 3 goals* in his last 2 games it gets them both out of the team. Also gets Byrne in, who I think is one of our better players, but again struggles to fit in to a 442.

*clearly they were all Fontaine’s fault [emoji4]

27 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I was trying to accommodate Charlie who I don’t think can work in a 442, certainly without McGhee. Plus as everyone thinks Cammy is pish and Elliot has been responsible for giving away 3 goals* in his last 2 games it gets them both out of the team. Also gets Byrne in, who I think is one of our better players, but again struggles to fit in to a 442.

*clearly they were all Fontaine’s fault emoji4.png

Thon cunto that picks our starting 11 only has to decide which 2 are his starting pair in central midfield which I’d stick with Gowser and Anderson until they have a bad game. The other 9 pretty much pick themselves in current form. I’d be inclined to try Charlie behind Cummings in a slight tweak to the system in a 4-4-1-1 but that would only be if we got ourselves 2 up in any game just to see how it goes. 

Edited by Yenitit

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

*clearly they were all Fontaine’s fault emoji4.png

There's no proof with two natural wide men in a 4 4 2 Adam can't play central at Championship level. I get why there's opinions that he won't beable to, but there's no actual proof that anyone can give. McGowan isn't exactly pacy either and is less comfortable on the ball. The problem is it's either Anderson out or no Adam as McGowan is undroppable for McPake. My prefered pairing would be Anderson and Adam.

When he shoved Adam in for the midweek disaster against Ayr, McGowan out wide wasn't a fair reflection of the benefits of having McDaid and McMullen - it completely changes the team dynamics. 

I fully expect Adam to start against Morten and be the best player on the pitch, as he has been so many times this season, including the likes of the 6 2 pounding to Hearts. A perfect chance to rest McGowan for the game next Tuesday aswell - use the squad wisely bearing in mind ages of the pair.

It's being made out that Adam simply cannot play in a 4 4 2 when we just matched top six St Johnstone with him bang central. 

What would be your reasoning for dropping on form McDaid aswell? 

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

When our 4-4-2 failed previously, it wasn't because we had a ponderous player like Adam paying, it was because we had two ponderous players in the centre of the park, neither of whom offered anything in terms of going box-to-box or running ahead of the strikers.

I'd have no real issue with a midfield pairing of Adam and Anderson, as the latter offers all the things we were missing when we played pairings like Robertson and Dorrans, Byrne and McGowan etc.

I do think that there is still a place for Jordan McGhee in our midfield, but I'm not convinced that's as part of a central two, and I also think that we'd be asking for trouble playing 4-4-2 against stronger teams, Hearts, lower Prem opposition should we get to the playoff final etc.

Oh, and aye, McMullan has made a significant difference to the dynamic of our 4-4-2 with his ability to create problems even when coming from really deep starting positions on the park. None of the wingers we had previously offered anything like his constant threat. The lad we had on loan from Rangers was like playing with 10 men on the pitch. A complete passenger.

Edited by Boo Khaki

There's no proof with two natural wide men in a 4 4 2 Adam can't play central at Championship level. I get why there's opinions that he won't beable to, but there's no actual proof that anyone can give. McGowan isn't exactly pacy either and is less comfortable on the ball. The problem is it's either Anderson out or no Adam as McGowan is undroppable for McPake. My prefered pairing would be Anderson and Adam.
When he shoved Adam in for the midweek disaster against Ayr, McGowan out wide wasn't a fair reflection of the benefits of having McDaid and McMullen - it completely changes the team dynamics. 
I fully expect Adam to start against Morten and be the best player on the pitch, as he has been so many times this season, including the likes of the 6 2 pounding to Hearts. A perfect chance to rest McGowan for the game next Tuesday aswell - use the squad wisely bearing in mind ages of the pair.
It's being made out that Adam simply cannot play in a 4 4 2 when we just matched top six St Johnstone with him bang central. 
What would be your reasoning for dropping on form McDaid aswell? 
Thank you.

My reasons for dropping McDaid are a) he’s bang average (that’s being kind) b) playing on the left doesn’t suit him c) we can only play 10 out field players and d) he’s bang average. I’m not suggesting we play this 11 - just putting it out there. It allows Marshall to play further forward. Gets Byrne (one of our best players) in the team, gives Adam’s some extra running power around him, keeps 2 strikers on the park and offers at bit of cover for our soft as shite centres.

Somewhere deep in his loins there is a good capable player in Cammy Kerr, we seen it under Hartley.  I'd have kept him in the starting 11 over Elliot.  

If Elliot gifts another goal tonight, so 4 in 3 games, I’m going fucking nuts.

17 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

My reasons for dropping McDaid are a) he’s bang average (that’s being kind) b) playing on the left doesn’t suit him c) we can only play 10 out field players and d) he’s bang average. I’m not suggesting we play this 11 - just putting it out there. It allows Marshall to play further forward. Gets Byrne (one of our best players) in the team, gives Adam’s some extra running power around him, keeps 2 strikers on the park and offers at bit of cover for our soft as shite centres.

A, C and D rules out Kerr then. McDaid has been brilliant since coming back in.

We won't agree on McDaid and there's no reason we have to. Blaming Elliot for 3 goals in the last 3 games is mindless but with Cammy Kerr as your display picture there's no point in debating.

Not having a go, just completely disagree. For what it's worth i absolutely think Marshall could be effective further forward (Left wing).

Hopefully we win tonight, with what i think is the team that deserved to start. Adam to come in on Saturday.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

We host Raith on 24th April at Dens, so stay within 2 points of them until then and a win would give us a good chance of finishing 2nd, with a trip to Palmerston the final league game the weekend after.

FWIW I think Raith are a better side than us currently. Not necessarily in terms of player-for-player, but they are better coached and play better football when they are going well, so I think we need to go on a bit of a tear and hope we can take 3 points off them at Dens.

I'm beginning to worry a bit that we do kinda half-arse this season but stumble our way up through the playoffs, because I'm sure that would keep McPake in the job, and I'm no convinced that we wouldn't just be staring at a 14 point campaign relegated-by-christmas season next year. It's a difficult one, because of course we should be wanting the team to be promoted, but I don't want McPake managing this side in the Premiership. I don't think there's any chance in hell of a McCormack/Scott situation, because Nelms and Keyes appear to be overly patient with managers even if they are underperforming.

A, C and D rules out Kerr then. McDaid has been brilliant since coming back in.
We won't agree on McDaid and there's no reason we have to. Blaming Elliot for 3 goals in the last 3 games is mindless but with Cammy Kerr as your display picture there's no point in debating.
Not having a go, just completely disagree. For what it's worth i absolutely think Marshall could be effective further forward (Left wing).
Hopefully we win tonight, with what i think is the team that deserved to start. Adam to come in on Saturday.
Thank you.

I don’t think Cammy is as bad as you do, you’re not alone in thinking he’s shit, maybe I’m wrong - but there is no way anyone can argue McDaid is anything but bang average at best.
My display picture has been Cammy for years, I see no reason to change it. Doesn’t mean I think he’s a good player - I just think he’s a really good, honest lad who try’s his best.