All things Dundee FC

57 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

This is the only keeper I can recall that took pens, is there any in the modern game?

PANINI FOOTBALL 78 #479-DUNDEE UNITED-HAMISH McALPINE | eBay

Plus, if he misses it's a mad dash back up the pitch.

I seem to recall there were quite a few songs back in the day about McAlpine’s misses 😉

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Yes! Players were made of stronger stuff - imagine Jordon got a wee taste of that?

I don't think that's the case. There's a reason the vast majority of those players were raging alkies. 

19 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Would we say the same if Hamilton was in goal?

I have to say I would, yes. I've no idea what Fontaine's attempted 'block' is all about either, btw. Exactly the same the week before against O'Hara. He has to be dropped. 

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

Things will pick up once we get Berra in as manager

It's Geddes turn next.

And to be fair to him, in his only season as manager, he won the Junior cup with Carnoustie Panmure.

We've got Mourinho on our hands and have him working with the goalkeepers FFS.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm the complete opposite. Goalies. They should be able to find top corners pretty regular.

Would you have been the saming had it been Rab Douglas in the goal? :lol:

Jose-Luis Chilavert is probably the most famous goal-scoring 'keeper. He took free kicks as well as pens. I think he was lazily linked to us during the early days of the Bonetti era by some lazy weegie journos.

Jimmy Glass of Carlisle probably scored the most SCENESworthy goal which kept Carlisle (I think) in the Football League in about the 97th minute of the final game of the season. 

Older Morton fans will remember Andy Goram scoring for Hibs with a clearance against them in a 3-1 last day win in 87/88. I think that gave them 100 goals against for the season, having conceded the exact same number in their previous Premier Division appearance in 84/85 😂

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

I blame him for our dreadful keeper situation that has never gotten any better.

Firmly believe replacing him would see a dramatic improvement between the sticks.

Replaced with?

I'm not sure how much input into recruitment our goalkeeping coach has, so for that reason I'd be wary of suggesting the poor standard is down to Geddes. However, I don't think it's fair to say it's 'never gotten any better'. Legs is hardly a world-beater, but in his first half-dozen games he hasn't thrown one in the net or looked like a calamity waiting to happen, which is in itself a significant improvement over Hamilton or Ferrie. 

I still think we definitely need to be looking for a better keeper come the end of the season, but it's no longer the match-to-match constant source of concern it was when Hamilton was the #1 choice. Centre Half is the biggest glaring weakness on this team now for me. It's scary the number of goals we concede and points we drop because of an individual error on the behalf of one of our CB's. All our defenders are guilty of it to be fair though, FB's included.

15 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Replaced with?

Bit of a cop out, but anyone that has retired recently from the game because of age and not bad performance would be great. Doesn't need to be a world beater or the best of the best.

Geddes uses the same drills, every training session and every match. Nothing new or different and to be fair, just about anyone could fill in his current roll by watching a session.

Preparation for a game when you need to be sharp is not achieved by plodding through the same program all the time. I just feel he doesn't offer anything to the goalkeeper that an A4 poster couldn't do.

Edited by Crawford

43 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Are you expecting him to reel or goalkeeper coaches? Anyway, I’ll give you Rab Douglas for starters.

I was going to suggest Rab, but I think someone just out of the game with more recent experience, maybe at a higher level, would be the best choice. Gives them a way into keeper coaching as well.