All things Dundee FC

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

It depends entirely on what you're after in a player. I prefer mines to be composed, have a deft touch and have an ability to pick a pass. I want the game controlled. 

Anderson looks to have a bit of ability but is a bit "all arms and legs" - which is fine, when you're getting the breaks of the ball. The moment that stops I could see a bit of panic setting in for him and that's when the test of him will come. I can see Robertson have a horrible game and still look to take the ball on, still have that belief that he can make a difference. 

Agreed, good balance between the pair for a future midfield pairing. 1 sits and plays passes looking  to protect the back 4, the other gets up and down the park linking the strikers and midfield and also stretching the game to get on behind the other teams defence. 

Max has been a great find this season. Fisher looks good on the ball with a great diagonal long pass. Needs to work on his defending in terms strength and winning the ball in the air but that will come with time. Easier for young attacking players to break into any side than a young defender. 

5 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Agreed, good balance between the pair for a future midfield pairing. 1 sits and plays passes looking  to protect the back 4, the other gets up and down the park linking the strikers and midfield and also stretching the game to get on behind the other teams defence. 

Max has been a great find this season. Fisher looks good on the ball with a great diagonal long pass. Needs to work on his defending in terms strength and winning the ball in the air but that will come with time. Easier for young attacking players to break into any side than a young defender. 

100% this.

None of them or all of them might make it in the end, but all 3 have shown real promise to make a good go of it at least!

I just hope none of them get the Wighton/McIntosh/Deasley treatment as that more than anything could stunt their growth IMO.

Anderson very much reminds me of a slender version of Mark O'Hara thus far.

4 hours ago, Robin.Hood said:

Yes he gave Robertson a lot of game time ( everyone knows mcpake brought him with him from coaching the age group he did ). Didn't actually realise was as much and then yeah like I said were glimpses of a player. Hopefully he becomes good and we make some money.

How much opportunity was Ferrie given compared to say Robertson?

Genuinely happy he is keeping playing Anderson but you can't really drop him as he is adding to the team and again that is with goals also.

Said at start of season I'm all for youth however I just hope we don't just chuck them like we always have done for many years ( sorta already pointed out).

Macintosh I remember could have been something. Sure he was scouted by bigger teams.

Would like to see a young striker given a chance.

Loan spells are great though and I know from Strachan that is something he is huge on.

A goalkeeper has to take his chance and not make many mistakes right from the get go because any errors he makes will see the team punished. He’s had a fair fee hiccups shall we say. An outfield player isn’t under the same scrutiny unfortunately for Ferrie. 

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I just hope none of them get the Wighton/McIntosh/Deasley treatment as that more than anything could stunt their growth IMO.

This is what I fear, pretty much always these days with our youngsters seems to be the case since I think Mcdonald? 

The more game time the better and hopefully we make good profit from them / or anyone for that matter. Something we aren't very good at business wise or maybe none of our players are worth anything big over many years. 

5 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

In other news, I see the Courier is listing our 'GOAT's:

The Courier

Has to be Alan Gilzean in terms of whilst in a Dundee shirt and Claudio Caniggia as a player overall? The likes of Jocky, Cox & Wallace can be considered some of our biggest ever legends, but as the best player ever? Billy Steele or Charlie Cooke also get raved about, I suppose.

Georgi Nemsadze in my lifetime, however. Nothing comes close to his class.

The article was only considering Dundee born players though.

Should we push youth kind of like Falkirk’s business model as they seem to have sold theirs on for huge dough , seemed like when their players got to the 60 game mark big English clubs came sweeping in or do we even have time for that? In that we have to give up on promotion to do this or could we do both?

ignore this the more I think about what I just wrote here makes me think of what a stupid thing to say, although you get what I was going for, if it was that easy everyone would do it

Edited by D TOTAL

4 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Should we push youth kind of like Falkirk’s business model as they seem to have sold theirs on for huge dough , seemed like when their players got to the 60 game mark big English clubs came sweeping in or do we even have time for that? In that we have to give up on promotion to do this or could we do both?

Falkirk scrapped their youth system about 5 years ago m8.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Falkirk scrapped their youth system about 5 years ago m8.

Sorry, I wasn’t aware, when it came to selling youth for huge profits they were the only team I could think off bar maybe United a couple year ago too

Sorry, I wasn’t aware, when it came to selling youth for huge profits they were the only team I could think off bar maybe United a couple year ago too

No need to apologise to him, mind you my stop you getting a ‘right hard punch in the puss’ [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

No need to apologise to him, mind you my stop you getting a ‘right hard punch in the puss’ emoji3.pngemoji3.pngemoji3.png

A Grade A twit, he ignores me now, but not before he had a keyboard bashing meltdown..😃

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

In fact which team now in Scotland is THE team for youth development, as I found out it was Falkirk years ago, Hamilton had a wee go, Dabs for season or 2 even Queen’s Park , we had a wee spell right as we were going into a financial meltdown, who’s #1 now?

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

No need to apologise to him, mind you might stop you getting a ‘right hard punch in the puss’ emoji3.pngemoji3.pngemoji3.png

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

A Grade A twit, he ignores me now, but not before he had a key bashing meltdown..😃

Now now then, crikey c'mon fellers, I'm not having that sort of talk regarding our current club manager, lol.

Agree or disagree, James McPake is here for the foreseeable future in the immediate meantime of John Nelms' thought processes. We don't apparently have any say whatsoever.

642997681_AtributetoJamesFinlayson.gif.8c2d87b5161d59fd111081f4d6549f10.gif 

( DISCLAIMER, for the record in the current delicate climate, the above is merely a feeble attempt at Dark Blue humour. RandomGuy however is still celebrating a major cup victory, rightly so as well, imho ).

McPake saying McGhee should be back quite soon, which is encouraging. Really need him if we're to make any late pushes imo.

Edit: According to the McPake in the Courier, McGhee's about 3 weeks away from full training and availability. I believe Jakubiak won't be far behind him in returning.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

23 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

McPake saying McGhee should be back quite soon, which is encouraging. Really need him if we're to make any late pushes imo.

Agreed but in midfield or defence?  Think I'm edging toward defence though seeing how he and Max do would be worth a shot

39 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Agreed but in midfield or defence?  Think I'm edging toward defence though seeing how he and Max do would be worth a shot

I think of him now as a midfielder, but he could definitely go back to CB if needed I'd assume. Shows how much of a key piece he can be to both MF and DF.

I'd put McGhee back in defence for the time being. Going forward it's up to him to battle it out with Anderson, but our defence is chronic and needs all the help it can get.

I have liked the pairing of Ashcroft/Fisher as I've said earlier in the thread, but still not convinced Ashcroft has the quality and that Fisher is ready to be the starting CH (unless the alternative is Forster or Fontaine).

The day Charlie Adam cannot out-perform anyone we currently have to offer in midfield, he'll have just passed his 45th birthday, not his 35th!!

Don't quote me, however I think one of the guys on here said he's actually suspended for Saturday evenings' game.

Plenty opportunity then for a.n.other to assume and finally take on the grown-up role in our midfield, imho.

Thank you.