All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Results are all that matters at the end of the day. Hopefully the defence gained some confidence today from the clean sheet. There’s not going to be much pretty football played on that surface unfortunately. 

Results aren't all that matters when we know we'll be in the play offs. This squad will finish top four, McPake or not.

We need to be seeing the team being tactically astute and showing real signs of being strong enough to go up  - since we have been inept in competing with an average Hearts side (just like with Dabs last season).

Things have improved ever so slightly with two wingers; Jack Hamilton being replaced today was a pleasant surprise and Walcott and McGhee could potentially be a good pairing for  the play offs.

I said before the game we would win today and it's down as a routine home win for me. With our budget and advantage of talent I'm not going to look on a home win to Arbroath as anything but expected. It wasn't convincing in the slightest either, when you consider the difference of club aims.

Ayr on Tuesday then Alloa on Friday, there's absolutely no excuses for less than 6/6. Performances are very much needed to build some level of confidence for the play offs or I'm afraid we've blown alot of money on another failed season.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Missed the game altogether today owing to an unavoidable commitment.
Was it a penalty for definite?

Looked pretty certain imo. Walcott left his foot in just a bit late, reacted in a guilty fashion and little protest from our players. Cracking save off a decent penalty from Legzdins.

3 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Results aren't all that matters when we know we'll be in the play offs. This squad will finish top four, McPake or not.

We need to be seeing the team being tactically astute and showing real signs of being strong enough to go up  - since we have been inept in competing with an average Hearts side (just like with Dabs last season).

Things have improved ever so slightly with two wingers; Jack Hamilton being replaced today was a pleasant surprise and Walcott and McGhee could potentially be a good pairing for  the play offs.

I said before the game we would win today and it's down as a routine home win for me. With our budget and advantage of talent I'm not going to look on a home win to Arbroath as anything but expected. It wasn't convincing in the slightest either, when you consider the difference of club aims.

Ayr on Tuesday then Alloa on Friday, there's absolutely no excuses for less than 6/6. Performances are very much needed to build some level of confidence for the play offs or I'm afraid we've blown alot of money on another failed season.

Thank you.

I hear what you’re saying and it’s hard to disagree with most of it. Halftime today I was less than certain we’d be in the playoffs considering at that point we were 4 points behind 4th, we’ve shite all season bar about 2 games and a win was all I was caring about. Ive excepted McPake isn’t getting punted anytime this season so we’ve got to shitfest our way through the season. If you’re looking to be tactically astute, which we all want, that isn’t happening anytime soon with this manager. I’ll take a performance that includes a win and a defensive display that saw the opposing team have 2 I think shots on target every game. Halftime I didn’t see us losing the game but I had doubts about us winning it and thought we were 45 minutes from being fucked. 

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Missed the game altogether today owing to an unavoidable commitment.
Was it a penalty for definite?

A long day of sticking forks in your eyes?

To me the pen was really soft, he didn't dive in to the challenge and I didn't think he even touched the Arbroath player, that being said my eyesight is starting to go.

I get what you're saying aswell, just feel we shouldn't be looking at beating Arbroath as anything but expected.

Those teams in 5th and 6th have played two games more than us. We've played Hearts 3 times and others still have to play them. I know it's never wise with Dundee to look too far ahead, but we will be making the play offs, whether we scrape by or manage to throw a run together and get second.

As an example on performances, if you watched the Rangers v Celtic League Cup Final last season there was only one team who looked like potential treble winners and it wasn't Celtic. They scored with their only attempt and Rangers missed chance after chance. At the time the Celtic fans gloated but the signs were there of positivity for the currant buns and its shown this season.

Our performances and vision as a team is honking and if we slithered up through the play offs (I don't believe for a minute we will) our celebrations would be short lived as McPake would have us sinking to depths that a McCann and McIntyre combination couldn't even reach.

Maybe its harsh but it's how I'm feeling. Until McPake leaves I genuinely dont think we can move forward as a club. Of course I'd rather see us go up this season anyway, but nothing is pointing towards promotion to me at the minute. Maybe, just maybe if we can keep two wingers on, find our right formation and keep Hamilton out the goal I'll be more positive reaching the play offs, but i can only go on what I'm seeing.

Thank you.

Was the penalty struck well or was it straight at the keeper? Curious if legzdins is an improvement or it looks that way cause Arbroath never had a sniff as we defended fairly well today

2 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Was the penalty struck well or was it straight at the keeper? Curious if legzdins is an improvement or it looks that way cause Arbroath never had a sniff as we defended fairly well today

It was a pretty decent penalty attempt, had pace and was headed for the corner, though not enough to overstretch Legzdins. He looked in command of his box even in the 2nd half with the sun in his eyes. Definitely deserves a run to show he's our #1 keeper.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Really good save imo. It was maybe yard inside his left hand post and along the ground. Wasn’t powerfully hit but a good save all the same. Legzdins was just a far more composed keeper all round. 

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

It was a pretty decent penalty attempt, had pace and was headed for the corner, though not enough to overstretch Legzdins. He looked in command of his box even in the 2nd half with the sun in his eyes. Definitely deserves a run to show he's our #1 keeper.

I suppose he’s got nothing to lose and everything to gain if he puts in a shift against ayr and Alloa and probably and most importantly Dunfermline, keep and clean sheet against any of these guys I’m in the legzdins camp(until the end of season)

I get what you're saying aswell, just feel we shouldn't be looking at beating Arbroath as anything but expected.

Those teams in 5th and 6th have played two games more than us. We've played Hearts 3 times and others still have to play them. I know it's never wise with Dundee to look too far ahead, but we will be making the play offs, whether we scrape by or manage to throw a run together and get second.

As an example on performances, if you watched the Rangers v Celtic League Cup Final last season there was only one team who looked like potential treble winners and it wasn't Celtic. They scored with their only attempt and Rangers missed chance after chance. At the time the Celtic fans gloated but the signs were there of positivity for the currant buns and its shown this season.

Our performances and vision as a team is honking and if we slithered up through the play offs (I don't believe for a minute we will) our celebrations would be short lived as McPake would have us sinking to depths that a McCann and McIntyre combination couldn't even reach.

Maybe its harsh but it's how I'm feeling. Until McPake leaves I genuinely dont think we can move forward as a club. Of course I'd rather see us go up this season anyway, but nothing is pointing towards promotion to me at the minute. Maybe, just maybe if we can keep two wingers on, find our right formation and keep Hamilton out the goal I'll be more positive reaching the play offs, but i can only go on what I'm seeing.

Thank you.

Totally agree with all that but I’m really looking forward to the play offs, if we make it. I’m expecting absolutely f**k all so just 1 round would be a bonus.
I’ve said this before but the last manager who left us for a step up was Duffy in 1996. Before that it was Archie Knox. Duffy left for Hibs and Knox basically left to be Fergie’s assistant at Aberdeen. I really hope when our next manager leaves, after this useless cunto obviously, goes to a much, much bigger job for then he/she will have been a rip roaring success with us. That’s got to be the dream.

2 minutes ago, K.T said:

Why do I have no recollection of Andy McLaren playing for us? Have I erased the whole Kernaghan era from my mind?

Must have erased the Alex Rae era too as it was him that signed him.

Started off not too badly then decided to have one of the all time great meltdowns and tried to batter the ref then was punted for it.

Why do I have no recollection of Andy McLaren playing for us? Have I erased the whole Kernaghan era from my mind?

I doubt Andy has much recollection either!

My memories of him are mostly positive. The sort of flair player that gives fans a wee lift amongst all the shite.