All things Dundee FC

Not a single bit of difference. He’s still way out of his depth. Would be interesting if any statos out there (hiya RossB [emoji112]) could work out how many saves he’s made since he joined us and how many goals he’s conceded. Would he have saved as many as 70% of the shots on target in the games he’s played? Tbh I don’t know what the average saves by a keeper is but it must be a stat that’s done somewhere. I honestly don’t think for every 10 shots on target he saves 7 of them. I could be totally wrong and not for the 1st time but I’d genuinely be surprised if he did. It feels to me that unless the shots are hit straight at him, most go in. [emoji2359]

If Legzdins was a semi competent keeper we’d be sitting 2nd right now. I presume he must be pretty shit and a waste of money going by lack of game time. 

It’s frustrating as f**k that there are so many glaringly obvious basics to our starting team that are wrong and could fairly easily be rectified. 

Don’t think we can tell how good or otherwise Letitin is. Our thicko manager could easily be thinking he’s masterminding some Fergie type mind games thing going on with Hamilton, playing a long game that nobody else can understand.

The issue I have with Hamilton goes way beyond the flapping at crosses, dropping the ball, shots going under him, flogging goals etc. It's that even when he's called upon to do the simple stuff he still looks utterly hopeless.

First goal on Saturday was a decent connection with the header, but the ball bounced and went straight past his face and still he got next to nothing on it. Other than being hit straight at him, he couldn't have asked for a more comfortable height to make a save.

There was a goal he let in at Palmerston last season, that on first look appeared to be a cracking finish from the striker. It was hit early, and from outside the box, into Hamilton's bottom right corner. Then you saw the replay from behind the goal, and it was evident that he was bafflingly late to react to it, so much so that the ball was behind him by the time he got down to the point where he should have easily got a full hand to it.

The guy is just a hopeless goalie. It's not about confidence, he's technically garbage and doesn't appear to have any actual instincts for playing the position whatsoever.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

This about floored me.

Jack Hamilton has kept 6 clean sheets in league competition since he joined. 6 clean sheets in 45 games. 2 this season.

Conor Hazard kept 6 clean sheets in 11 games last season for us.

Calum Ferrie has kept 1 in 3 appearances.

No idea if you like/care about xG at all, but it has him conceding 5 more goals than you'd expect the average Championship keeper to have conceded this season.

Only Neil Parry comes worse off out of keepers in this division.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea if you like/care about xG at all, but it has him conceding 5 more goals than you'd expect the average Championship keeper to have conceded this season.

Only Neil Parry comes worse off out of keepers in this division.

Very interesting.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Gordon 2nd worst according to that

You need to factor in the goals scored then work out the saves as a percentage of the total shots on target (saves plus goals). I can’t work it out for Hamilton because I don’t know which games he missed. 
Looking at the keepers who have played every game, Fon Williams would move up to joint second with McAdams with a save percentage of 70%. Gaston has 68% Ridgers 67%; Gordon should be 6th, I think, with 65%. I don’t know what game MacDonald missed but he should be around 64/65%. The bottom 3 will be Parry, Ferguson and Hamilton. I can only say for certain that Ferguson will be on 60% because I know what games he missed.

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Gordon 2nd worst according to that

Gordon’s saved 65% of the shots on target.

Off the top of my head I think Hamilton’s conceded 26 league goals so that means he saves 59% of the shots on target or in other words 41% of the shots on target go in 🤦🏻‍♂️ holy f**k!

I think the games he missed that we conceded goals in are, Raith at home plus Ayr and Alloa away in which we conceded 6 goals.  

We’ve still to factor in his horrific use of the ball and the mayhem he caused by not coming off his line. 

Legzdins must be pish. 

Edited by Yenitit

Next season, regardless of division we are in or manager in charge we need to be addressing the goalkeeper situation and the backline. I see Marshall has been getting slated for being weak defensively recently which is fair enough but I believe he's the only one in the back 5 that can be assured of being in the starting line-up for next season.

I think we are very, very strong at CM and we can go forward as is in that area but need another winger to replace McDaid/McMullan when one is out of form or injured.

Think we are fine up front as well with Mullen & Cummings and don't necessarily need to add to this area provided Jakubiak has an injury free season next year. Would possibly be on the lookout for a target man style striker to mix things up as don't think Sow is good enough.

If I were being honest and having a cull of the squad (ignoring contract length) I'd be looking to get rid of:

Hamilton

Legzdins and/or Ferrie if neither manage to displace Hamilton before season's end.

Kerr

Forster

Fontaine

Elliott

Afolabi (Loan end)

Walcott (Loan end and presumably won't come back)

Moore

Sow

Nicholas Hamilton

That would take us down to a squad of around 15-16 (We've an absolutely massive squad by Championship standards) and if we can add 5-6 we'd still have a massive squad but cover in all the right places.

1-2 GK's (Depending on circumstances)

2 CHs

1 RB

1 winger

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Have to ask the question though @Ludo*1, could a better manager not get more from our current squad? Including the Keeper.

And the answer would be yes.

Still I'd agree with a lot of the players not deserving to stay on.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Have to ask the question though @Ludo*1, could a better manager not get more from our current squad? Including the Keeper.

3 shite managers, but none have got a tune out of Hamilton to the point where he could be deemed to even be a professional player. Levein, Neilson, Cathro, Locke & McGlynn couldn't get him looking decent either. Some selection of shite managers he's played under tbf, but too much damage is done. He's horrific.

A decent manager could probably get the likes of Elliott playing alright, but the rest would be on my cull list regardless of who's manager. I don't think any of them are good enough football players. Fontaine was once upon a time and Ashcroft is tied down so he'd be my back-up choice ahead of Fontaine and off Fontaine could go as we need to start with quality from the back if we want to be a half decent outfit IMO.

I don't think 5 additions to a massively, massively bloated squad that needs culled regardless of who we bring in player wise is a huge overhaul. We've got a 26 man first team squad when the average is about an 18 man squad supplmented by youth.

ETA: But to answer your question, absolutely with the players we have, a better manager would be doing much better. We've some cracking players for this level in the likes of Adam, McMullan, Cummings, Marshall (offensively), Byrne & McGhee. And dare I say it, McGowan would be an asset to most squads in the league too when utilised correctly. He'd be the best back-up CM in the league if we went with Byrne/McGhee/Adam IMO. And then we've got emerging talents like Anderson & Robertson!

There's lots to be positive about in regards to the squad and a better manager could do a lot more with it. I think the defensive area still needs addressed, however.

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

3 shite managers, but none have got a tune out of Hamilton to the point where he could be deemed to even be a professional player. Levein, Neilson, Cathro, Locke & McGlynn couldn't get him looking decent either. Some selection of shite managers he's played under tbf, but too much damage is done. He's horrific.

This is kinda my point, he must have been half decent at one point to get a Scotland call up.

I'm not defending him at all but he looks so under confident and nervous every game, it's more than likely a psychological issue, that could be worked out of him with the right coaching, can we afford him any more time though? No probably not.

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This is kinda my point, he must have been half decent at one point to get a Scotland call up.

I'm not defending him at all but he looks so under confident and nervous every game, it's more than likely a psychological issue, that could be worked out of him with the right coaching, can we afford him any more time though? No probably not.

3 years is enough time IMO.

And there's been some amount of shite called up to Scotland such as Scott Fox & Craig Samson!

I get the sentiment about Gowser but IMO he’s got to go. And @Ludo are you also suggesting we keep McDaid? McMullen has contributed more in the few games he’s played than the sum total of Declan’s efforts. He’s a definite punt. Not nearly good enough.

10 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I get the sentiment about Gowser but IMO he’s got to go. And @Ludo are you also suggesting we keep McDaid? McMullen has contributed more in the few games he’s played than the sum total of Declan’s efforts. He’s a definite punt. Not nearly good enough.

We need width and we can't just get rid of everyone.

He's not bad for the Championship IMO.