All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, Gold Dee said:

Cant believe there are some Dees happy to keep McPake on. Yes he was a good player for us but that shouldn't mean we are blindly loyal to him when he is not up to the job. Its heartbreaking to see the club I have supported for so long heading in only one direction.

Change it now Nelms!!

It’s absolutely staggering to read there are still some. Read on another forum a couple of guys claiming we played well yesterday 🤦🏻‍♂️

We were dreadful in the attacking 3rd but I suppose that doesn’t matter. The use of the  ball from out wide was very poor. 

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Could you imagine the toxic atmosphere if there were fans in Dens? Sadly this lack of supporters is going to keep him in the job longer.

Do the decent thing McPake and just f**k off, sick to death of the turgid shite, and the monotone depressing interviews.

Thank you.

Years of turgid shite is because fans were on there backs remember. 

Have we played well once this season yet without any fans?

The problem we've had at Dens with successive boards, for fucking decades is either giving hopeless managers far too long in the job to properly f**k things up, or not giving managers long enough, although much more of the former tbh. A top five of shite managerial decisions at Dens would be really fucking hard to narrow down, but appointing McPake would certainly be in there.  As i'm bored as f**k, mine would be: 

1. Overlooking Jim McLean

2. Punting Jocky twice

3. Appointing Dave "Coco" Smith

4. Sacking Jim Duffy whilst top of the First Division then compounding that by replacing him with Alan fucking Kernaghan

5. McPake - imo a far worse appointment than either McCann or even fucking McIntyre

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is shite. He could grind out wins when needed but he got the best out of attacking players regularly. Calling a manager boring when he's regularly set up teams that bring the best out of attackers is wild. May, MOH and Swanson have all been electric under him. 

For a while two seasons ago we regularly went into games with about 5 attackers on the field FFS.

I'd be more worried about him defensively. He inherited a squad that had Mannus/Mackay/Anderson/Wright, and then Davidson/Millar in front, as an established unit. He done well maintaining that and then rebuilding it, but it all coinceded with us also bringing through a raft of youngsters capable, thanks to Alistair Stevenson, in Clark, Kerr, Gordon, and latterly McCann.

A lot of our early style relied on players just chucking themselves in front of every ball, while Mannus was a far better keeper than given credit for. Would this style work with your GK/backline?

I’d be very happy to go and watch a team set up the way St Johnstone did under Wright. Playing  with 2 out and out wingers regularly who were equally as good playing inside, who wants to watch that! O’Hallaran, Swanson, Wright and the guy from Perth who’s name escapes me right now have all done great jobs for your club and regularly were the difference between the rest of the clubs outside the top 4 or 5. You’ve done Shaunghnessy a bit of a disservice though Random. 

Edited by Yenitit

14 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

1. Overlooking Jim McLean

2. Punting Jocky twice

3. Appointing Dave "Coco" Smith

4. Sacking Jim Duffy whilst top of the First Division then compounding that by replacing him with Alan fucking Kernaghan

5. McPake - imo a far worse appointment than either McCann or even fucking McIntyre

No space for overlooking Jack Ross for Terry McCann?

Oh and for the record McPake will never be worse than McIntyre and maybe just below McCann as it stands, but both were about the same level of novice appointments.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

No space for overlooking Jack Ross over Terry McCann?

I did consider the McCann nonsense as well, although I don't think we were ever going to realistically get Ross. Going cap in hand to McCann was indeed a f**k-awful decision.

Should have made it a top 10 really 

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Honestly reckon Hartley would be one of the best appointments we could make. Understand that people don't like to go back but he ticks all the boxes.

His last season with us was a disaster because he ran out of ideas after Stewart & Hemmings were sold and, quite frankly, any manager would struggle badly taking those two out of their team. He deserved to go at the time, but other than, 'I don't like going back the way' mentality there's nothing to say it's a terrible move to make.

Didn’t he run out of ideas at Falkirk as well Ludo. Apparently he had a budget to blow all other teams out the water in last season’s Division 2 and performed as expected. He has started this season well again tho but not for me although I wouldn’t object to it. 

Approach Levein and Wright then work back from there.  

Edited by Yenitit

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I did consider the McCann nonsense as well, although I don't think we were ever going to realistically get Ross. Going cap in hand to McCann was indeed a f**k-awful decision.

Should have made it a top 10 really 

Top 10 would’ve been just as hard! 😂 

Top 1 & 2 will always be 

1. Overlooking McLean

2. Appointing McIntyre. Without a doubt our worst manager since the war and I mean the 1st world war!

This is why you d souls never be on a 'manager oot' train of thought this early in the season, you just get your hopes up and depress yourself. I'm just angry because while we can probably grab a playoff spot like last season, the consistency just doesn't seem like it will ever be there with McPake. I still hope he turns out around, but the belief that he can is continually dwindling away with every dropped point or battering caused by basic errors, and now there's not much belief left.

3 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Didn’t he run out of ideas at Falkirk as well Ludo. Apparently he had a budget to blow all other teams out the water in last season’s Division 2 and performed as expected. He has started this season well again.

Approach Levein and Wright then work back from there.  

Falkirk is a bizarre one. Throughout his career he's pretty much worked round the clock and generally put in more time scouting players than most scouts do but at Falkirk he seemed to just allow a contact in England to sign a squad full of players for him that he'd never watched play.

Hartley has been a manager for 10 seasons now. 2 have been absolute disasters, but the rest I'd say he's hit every target asked of him and improved the club he's been at. There's one season with us that's debatable considering the quality he signed for us, but in retrospect that was still lightyears compared to anything that's happened since.

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Top 10 would’ve been just as hard! 😂 

Top 1 & 2 will always be 

1. Overlooking McLean

2. Appointing McIntyre. Without a doubt our worst manager since the war and I mean the 1st world war!

We had William Wallace in charge (Our first ever manager) so you may as well have said the worst ever!

12.90% win rate FFS!

35 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Yeah it’s absolutely the right call for him to be playing for Peterhead whilst we have zero attacking options on the bench due to injuries and dropping points at home to the likes of Raith Rovers. Who would’ve thought to recall the strikers we have at Dens due to an emergency then send them out on loan again, who would’ve thought eh?

As for the game you’re ‘using as a stick to beat Lyall with’ as that the same game that was live on tv, giving a 16 year old his starting debut out of position at right midfield? As regards being at the game, the only games I didn’t attend last season home or away were the televised away league games hope that helps. 

If he can’t handle playing on TV, he’s not ready. Again, nonsense claim to suggest that he is. You’ve clearly just agreeed that he was out of his depth 6 months ago, so having had no more experience since then how is he likely not be any more capable now.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Falkirk is a bizarre one. Throughout his career he's pretty much worked round the clock and generally put in more time scouting players than most scouts do but at Falkirk he seemed to just allow a contact in England to sign a squad full of players for him that he'd never watched play.

Hartley has been a manager for 10 seasons now. 2 have been absolute disasters, but the rest I'd say he's hit every target asked of him and improved the club he's been at. There's one season with us that's debatable considering the quality he signed for us, but in retrospect that was still lightyears compared to anything that's happened since.

I can’t argue with that. A major worry is the amount of players he turns over and it doesn’t help with progression. His stint with Falkirk will put a lot of clubs of him but likewise he done well here until his last season, Alloa and now Cove.  

18 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

No space for overlooking Jack Ross for Terry McCann?

Oh and for the record McPake will never be worse than McIntyre and maybe just below McCann as it stands, but both were about the same level of novice appointments.

McPake is a million times worse than McCann. At least you could see what McCann was trying to do. Any idea what McPake is trying to do?

Of the 3 I'd say it's definitely:

1. Neil McCann

2. James McPake

3. Jim McIntyre

Each one is solidly in their place and come nowhere near as close to the one above. And they've all been shite.

8 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

If he can’t handle playing on TV, he’s not ready. Again, nonsense claim to suggest that he is. You’ve clearly just agreeed that he was out of his depth 6 months ago, so having had no more experience since then how is he likely not be any more capable now.

Very, very harsh of you to beat a16 year old with a stick like that when he was playing out of position. The laddie looks like he has great potential and most be thought highly  by others to be playing for his country at his age level. I never agreed on anything about him being out his depth. I will say however  he was played out of position. 

Played where he did in the few friendlies he did for us he’d do a job in an emergency coming off the bench for 10-15 minutes, the last 2 weeks have been an emergency due to injury. Bad man management. 

Edited by Yenitit

I don’t want McPake sacked but purely because I don’t think we should be wasting that kind of money at the moment and we are desperate for consistency in the playing squad which would change again under a new manager.

The only credits I can give him is that he does try to change things if they aren’t working, although he’s obsessed with 3 at the back, and he gives the youths a chance. We do try to change it up between short and long passes as well which none of his predecessors ever did.

Tbh I don’t see us challenging Hearts this season and I’m confident we will make the playoffs anyway so I can’t see us getting rid in the circumstances. Performances have been unconvincing, but we’ve lost the most difficult game of the season and won and drawn at home against 2 form teams. Disappointing not to win yesterday but 4/9 instead of the the expected 6/9 is hardly terrible.

Drop points at Alloa though and I’ll be looking out my best pitchfork [emoji23]