All things Dundee FC

No James, you need to score more goals than the opponent to win games. D'you know what stops that from happening? Giving up attacking and playing with a loser's mentality with 15 minutes to go. It's a deliberately isolated quote, but it doesn't help my mood one bit.

image.png.6ed8424ddbc9d81d95aba7a26f934df9.png

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

Callum Ferrie doesn’t look any better than Hamilton. The goalkeeping issue is a massive problem.

Ferrie done well enough to win PotY and YPotY at Stirling in the same season. He also fought off Gourlay and has been our most hyped youth keeper since Clangers.

Yet he looks an accident waiting to happen. I just don't get it.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Ferrie done well enough to win PotY and YPotY at Stirling in the same season. He also fought off Gourlay and has been our most hyped youth keeper since Clangers.

Yet he looks an accident waiting to happen. I just don't get it.

image.jpeg.96a9943f31f87a5b3e6631e1126a7c00.jpeg

8 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

image.jpeg.96a9943f31f87a5b3e6631e1126a7c00.jpeg

He needs brought home. If McPake contacted Charlie Adam but never spoke to the legend that is Speroni, well, quite frankly, he doesn't deserve even getting his youth role back.

15 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I thought he was poor again. A good through ball to Marshall and I’m struggling to think of anything else. 

On a positive note it’s good to see our young striker out at Peterhead scored today whilst our perennial crock and Jakubiak can’t even make the bench for a 15 minute spell at the end to see a game out. 

Surely you’re not suggesting Lyall Cameron should be playing? Were you at the Dunfermline game last Season? It is absolutely the right call for him to go out on loan and get some experience as he was miles out of his depth at this level. I agree McPake should go but using that as a stick to beat him with is utter nonsense.

Edited by RossDee01

Cant believe there are some Dees happy to keep McPake on. Yes he was a good player for us but that shouldn't mean we are blindly loyal to him when he is not up to the job. Its heartbreaking to see the club I have supported for so long heading in only one direction.

Change it now Nelms!!

A Craig Levein type appointment is the dream. The way he revolutionised Dundee United was quite something and they looked to be one of the major forces in Scottish football until it all came tumbling down when McNamara was appointed.

That said, his time is past. He's still far too loved in with Ann Budge even though he no longer works there, he's totally bought into the 'Hearts were shafted cause' and finally, he's got the stigma of United in his past which would mean he'd never get time. That, added to the fact that he was an absolute disaster for Hearts last time round would put me firmly in the, 'absolutely not' category.

Tommy Wright would be a steady appointment and whilst he done fantastic things with St Johnstone, they are very fucking boring and his teams rarely entertained and were full of absolute jobbers. Dundee fans ask for a lot, probably far too much and whilst I think he's the best candidate in the market right now, I'd still love to see Neil McCann rap his pus, errr sorry, I mean I still think he'd be a massive risk.

I'll be lambasted for saying this, but there's a fat tramp up Aberdeen way that has previously completely transformed clubs including our own that looks particularly attractive. Like a kebab after a night out.

Could you imagine the toxic atmosphere if there were fans in Dens? Sadly this lack of supporters is going to keep him in the job longer.

Do the decent thing McPake and just f**k off, sick to death of the turgid shite, and the monotone depressing interviews.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

Cant believe there are some Dees happy to keep McPake on. Yes he was a good player for us but that shouldn't mean we are blindly loyal to him when he is not up to the job. Its heartbreaking to see the club I have supported for so long heading in only one direction.
Change it now Nelms!!

Don’t think I’ve met one fan who want to keep McPake. He wasn’t even that good a player. Bang average.

It's great that Dundee gives every manager, even the ones that don't deserve it, a chance to fix things.

The problems at Dens have been the same for a long time. Regardless of manager or players. Since Hartley was in, we have only two players still at the club and have had 3 other managers.

Does that not mean it's the coaches and the training?

Thought we played pretty well yesterday for decent spells. Byrne seems to have finally been given the role that he’s good at. We have all seen what Adam brings. Real class, call it what you want. Thought Mullen had his best game yet displaying some good close control. The defence looks reasonably solid, a big improvement on the back 5 experiment. The keeper doesn’t inspire confidence - think we all know that. Dorrans continues to underperform. I’m not sure his heart is in it to be honest. Basically we have a squad with decent potential.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy Wright would be a steady appointment and whilst he done fantastic things with St Johnstone, they are very fucking boring and his teams rarely entertained.

This is shite. He could grind out wins when needed but he got the best out of attacking players regularly. Calling a manager boring when he's regularly set up teams that bring the best out of attackers is wild. May, MOH and Swanson have all been electric under him. 

For a while two seasons ago we regularly went into games with about 5 attackers on the field FFS.

I'd be more worried about him defensively. He inherited a squad that had Mannus/Mackay/Anderson/Wright, and then Davidson/Millar in front, as an established unit. He done well maintaining that and then rebuilding it, but it all coinceded with us also bringing through a raft of youngsters capable, thanks to Alistair Stevenson, in Clark, Kerr, Gordon, and latterly McCann.

A lot of our early style relied on players just chucking themselves in front of every ball, while Mannus was a far better keeper than given credit for. Would this style work with your GK/backline?

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is shite. He could grind out wins when needed but he got the best out of attacking players regularly. Calling a manager boring when he's regularly set up teams that bring the best out of attackers is wild. May, MOH and Swanson have all been electric under him. 

For a while two seasons ago we regularly went into games with about 5 attackers on the field FFS.

I'd be more worried about him defensively. He inherited a squad that had Mannus/Mackay/Anderson/Wright, and then Davidson/Millar in front, as an established unit. He done well maintaining that and then rebuilding it, but it all coinceded with us also bringing through a raft of youngsters capable, thanks to Alistair Stevenson, in Clark, Kerr, Gordon, and latterly McCann.

A lot of our early style relied on players just chucking themselves in front of every ball, while Mannus was a far better keeper than given credit for. Would this style work with your GK/backline?

Regularly ground out wins when you went on big losing runs that simply wouldn't be accepted at most other clubs had he not had the credit in the bank with yourselves? In the 2018-19 season he went on a 9 game winless run with just a single draw in that time. In 17-18 you went on a 6 game winless run followed by a 7 game winless run later in the same season.  This is something that as I say, wouldn't have been accepted at any other club other than St Johnstone due to the huge amount of stock he had in the tank.

Stevie May that scored 6 in 24 games last season under him or O'Halloran's 2 in 24 ? Electric indeed. A purple patch, perhaps, but each player hasn't consistently done it under him and to say so is nonsense.

2 seasons ago, when you regularly fielded 5 attackers apparently, you scored a total of 38 goals in 38 games, a grand total of 7 more goals than the worst Dundee side we've possibly ever had that had Sofien Moussa, Jean Mendy & 40 year old Kenny Miller up front.

Tommy's a cracking manager undoubtedly, but I worry he was just a good fit with St Johnstone rather than a guy that's set up to be successful wherever he goes.

All this being said, he'd be one of my top candidates for the job. Your last point you raise as a potential negative for him at Dens, I'd see it as his biggest positive. As a former keeper I hope he'd be able to identify someone for that role. In his 7 year at your club as manager he didn't need to sign a single first choice keeper (Although I'd imagine he'd have had a large part to do with Mannus joining prior to this) because Mannus & Clark excelled under him (Until last season with Clark at least).

Edited by Ludo*1

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy's a cracking manager undoubtedly, but I worry he was just a good fit with St Johnstone rather than a guy that's set up to be successful wherever he goes.

I'm not going to debate this all day, but agree with this.

He came into a established, solid, top half side and kept that train going. He rebuilt the side, improved us from the Lomas season, and maintained that, but the caveat there was always the experience he had available to him, and the patience.

Right man at the right time.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Craig Levein

No, Ludo.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Tommy Wright

Yes, Ludo.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

there's a fat tramp up Aberdeen way that has previously completely transformed clubs including our own that looks particularly attractive. Like a kebab after a night out.

Dick, Ludo? I still don't get why that would be a bad move tbh...

3 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Surely you’re not suggesting Lyall Cameron should be playing? Were you at the Dunfermline game last Season? It is absolutely the right call for him to go out on loan and get some experience as he was miles out of his depth at this level. I agree McPake should go but using that as a stick to beat him with is utter nonsense.

Yeah it’s absolutely the right call for him to be playing for Peterhead whilst we have zero attacking options on the bench due to injuries and dropping points at home to the likes of Raith Rovers. Who would’ve thought to recall the strikers we have at Dens due to an emergency then send them out on loan again, who would’ve thought eh?

As for the game you’re ‘using as a stick to beat Lyall with’ as that the same game that was live on tv, giving a 16 year old his starting debut out of position at right midfield? As regards being at the game, the only games I didn’t attend last season home or away were the televised away league games hope that helps. 

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

No, Ludo.

Yes, Ludo.

Dick, Ludo? I still don't get why that would be a bad move tbh...

Honestly reckon Hartley would be one of the best appointments we could make. Understand that people don't like to go back but he ticks all the boxes.

His last season with us was a disaster because he ran out of ideas after Stewart & Hemmings were sold and, quite frankly, any manager would struggle badly taking those two out of their team. He deserved to go at the time, but other than, 'I don't like going back the way' mentality there's nothing to say it's a terrible move to make.