All things Dundee FC

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Mate if we had Patrick Dangerfield (I don't even know if he still plays there anymore lol) we'd scuff this league. Even in that sport though, I'm always looking out for the Dees.

Dangerfield is still playing and did well last night considering he had a taped up middle finger. He is the Geelong  captain. Geelong missed a lot of scoring opportunities last night and Were only 1 goal ahead at half time. Thought the misses would come back to haunt them, but they dominated the rest of the game and won by 40 points. Grand final next week against Richmond - the best passing team in the league.

I know there are a lot of substitutions allowed in the game and players come off for a short rest, but the fitness levels seem to be incredible - they are playing on a full sized cricket pitch. 

13 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I have massive expectations now for this team next week, because last night was the most embarrassing night of McPake's tenure as manager, and he bloody well should know it. More embarrassing than his first derby loss (at least he had the excuse of being brand new), his 2nd derby loss, the QoS loss, the ICT loss, the Dunfermline loss, etc. Even though Hearts last night were a better team than all those, last night was the most embarrassing because it showed that McPake has learned absolutely nothing. It was the opening game of the season against Dunfermline all over again, except we played against a team that could fully exploit our weaknesses and any luck there was to be had in the game went against us rather than for us. I'd argue our starting line-up last night was weaker than that game at East End Park. I'll never be able to forget that he started Osman fucking Sow. I've backed McPake to the hilt going into this season, and already I'm furious. He needs to get next week spot on, or I think from the fans' point of view his situation will be untenable.

I don't think a probable scraped 1-0 home win against Morton should be enough to keep him in a job. He patently isn't up to it in big games. Last season he seemed to get some level of redemption by scraping a few wins against dross like Partick Thistle. It's all pointless as a McPake-managed team is absolutely not going to have what it takes to negotiate 6 play-off games. Even if he somehow flukes them, a side managed by him will get absolutely massacred in the top tier. It'll be worse than the Club 12 season. He needs binned immediately and replaced with a manager with at least SOME tactical awareness. Either that or you can write this season off pretty much now. 

On a scale of 1-10, I was a 6 at the start of the season, now Im down to a 4.

We went into the season with several key issues that looked like being an issue...

• No real keeper.
  • No width, apart from McDaid.
  • All 5 central midfielders being the same.
  • Strikers who dont score goals.

I wasn't overly worried about defence, I thought Forster might be worth a game, I was clearly wrong, Ive read decent things about Ashcroft, but he looked average at best.

Hamilton is never a keeper, he seems like a decent guy in DeeTV and other media items, but sorry mate, when you cross the lines onto the park, not nearly good enough.

Dorrans got a free ride last season, and lived on his name in a good few games. Byrne looks lost, Robertson is a tidy player, Adam looks incredibly unfit and unable in physical aspects of the game, Gowser runs about a lot, and tries really hard. If we play 442, Id argue a competent manager would play 1 of them, not 2. If we play 352, then only 2 should play. The entire balance is wrong, it was wrong last season, and its got worse.

Mullen is a very hard working player, but his stats dont show goals. Jakubiak looks like a flair player, but without the end product. Sow, yeah well, Im glad the physios have a new buddy. Afolabi looked good, but before we signed him, Id never heard of him. Hamilton will never get a game.

Its never going to happen, but McPake should go. He is the worst manager we have had, no personality, no energy, no clue about tactics. Its ground hog day, and we haven't improved in a year and a half under him.

Edited by Sangsom

46 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

On a scale of 1-10, I was a 6 at the start of the season, now Im down to a 4.

We went into the season with several key issues that looked like being an issue...

• No real keeper.
  • No width, apart from McDaid.
  • All 5 central midfielders being the same.
  • Strikers who dont score goals.

I wasn't overly worried about defence, I thought Forster might be worth a game, I was clearly wrong, Ive read decent thinks about Ashcroft, but he looked average at best.

Hamilton is never a keeper, he seems like a decent guy in DeeTV and other media items, but sorry mate, when you cross the lines onto the park, not nearly good enough.

Dorrans got a free ride last season, and lived on his name in a good few games. Byrne looks lost, Robertson is a tidy player, Adam looks incredibly unfit and unable in physical aspects of the game, Gowser runs about a lot, and tries really hard. If we play 442, Id argue a competent manager would play 1 of them, not 2. If we play 352, then only 2 should play. The entire balance is wrong, it was wrong last season, and its get worse.

Mullen is a very hard working player, but his stats dont show goals. Jakubiak looks like a flair player, but without the end product. Sow, yeah well, Im glad the physios have a new buddy. Afolabi looked good, but before we signed him, Id never heard of him. Hamilton will never get a game.

Its never going to happen, but McPake should go. He is the worst manager we have had, no personality, no energy, no clue about tactics. Its ground hog day, and we haven't improved in a year and a half under him.

👏👏👏👏

We’re now on a run of games where we should be picking up a few wins on the bounce,papering over the cracks until the next half decent team and half decent manager pick his tactics apart at ease and these will be the crucial games and we’ll be back at stage 1 again which is where we are now. 

Edited by Yenitit

McPake's own self appointed mandate was that he would make the support be proud of the club again. A 6-2 defeat on the opening day of his second season in charge does not make me proud. Nor did the season that came before it. To be so embarrassingly out of United's league despite being the team with the parachute payment and having free reign to build his own side from scratch was sackable in itself.

When the season ended we were in 3rd place having just recently overtaken Ayr into that position - That does not make me proud to be a Dundee fan.

We, or at least a lot of us thought that McPake had turned a corner towards the end of last season with the unbeaten run we went on. That's it. A run that saw us draw at home to part-time Alloa and away to Greenock Morton and Ayr. That was the highlight of last season in a year that saw us put of the diddy cup by Elgin whilst fielding a full strength 11 (Or near to it) and draws against the likes of Peterhead & Cove. The same season that McPake suffered his 2nd 6-2 defeat to United - And did he redeem himself in the 2nd Derby? No, we put in an arguably worse performance but thankfully United limited it to just a 2 goal defeat.

Twice during last season we went on 4 game winless runs. It was all pretty shambolic really.

I thought he'd solved it though. The signing on Berra, the tightening of the defence, the allowance to still go and sign players that Prem clubs couldn't afford this season (Jim Goodwin admitted he couldn't get anywhere near Jakubiak's wage demands). I ignored the fact that Hamilton would still be our first choice, I ignored the fact that Forster and basically our whole CH area had been neglected once again. I believed.

Clearly, I should have taken my head out of the sand because the first game of the season was a humping and it was down to the very same problems that existed on day one of the season before. Right down to the 3-5-2 being exposed down the wings and having to change it after going multiple goals behind.

Do I think McPake is the worst manager we've ever had? No, he's not anywhere near it. He's clearly done some things right and seems to have been at least partly responsible for the generation of promising youth talent that are chapping on the door so fair play to him for that, but that does not make him a good manager. If egos weren't a factor, him slipping back into that role whilst we appoint someone with any semblance of competence to be first team manager such as Tommy Wright would be the best decision making done at the club since Nelms came in.

Before it started I was giving McPake last season to build his squad and put in a challenge for this season. Last season, in my opinion, was already written off before a ball was kicked.

This season I won't be as forgiving though, although we were heavily beat by Hearts, he did change the issue at half-time, something he would not have done last season and we played better for it.

However the defensive frailties and GK issue have been apparent for a while and should have been dealt with before now, being a defender himself, you would have thought it would be more obvious to him.

If he doesn't sort it out over the next couple of games, he needs binned.

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

However the defensive frailties and GK issue have been apparent for a while and should have been dealt with before now, being a defender himself, you would have thought it would be more obvious to him.

If he doesn't sort it out over the next couple of games, he needs binned.

Ham for hands will be murdering the confidence of the players just as bad as the fans.

Imagine being a defender and knowing that every mistake you make will be 1000 fold worse because of having that behind you.

Defence having a shred of confidence in the person behind them would make them much more solid.

Even sow would be an improvement in goal.

Edited by Crawford

5 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Ham for hands will be murdering the confidence of the players just as bad as the fans.

Imagine being a defender and knowing that every mistake you make will be 1000 fold worse because of having that behind you.

Defence having a shred of confidence in the person behind them would make them much more solid.

Even sow would be an improvement in goal.

I get hamilton is shite. But the defence infront of him is brutal.  Nae wonder he has zero confidence.

Get them tae f**k.

Glad we bought replacements to sort it..

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

McPake's own self appointed mandate was that he would make the support be proud of the club again. A 6-2 defeat on the opening day of his second season in charge does not make me proud. Nor did the season that came before it. To be so embarrassingly out of United's league despite being the team with the parachute payment and having free reign to build his own side from scratch was sackable in itself.

When the season ended we were in 3rd place having just recently overtaken Ayr into that position - That does not make me proud to be a Dundee fan.

We, or at least a lot of us thought that McPake had turned a corner towards the end of last season with the unbeaten run we went on. That's it. A run that saw us draw at home to part-time Alloa and away to Greenock Morton and Ayr. That was the highlight of last season in a year that saw us put of the diddy cup by Elgin whilst fielding a full strength 11 (Or near to it) and draws against the likes of Peterhead & Cove. The same season that McPake suffered his 2nd 6-2 defeat to United - And did he redeem himself in the 2nd Derby? No, we put in an arguably worse performance but thankfully United limited it to just a 2 goal defeat.

Twice during last season we went on 4 game winless runs. It was all pretty shambolic really.

I thought he'd solved it though. The signing on Berra, the tightening of the defence, the allowance to still go and sign players that Prem clubs couldn't afford this season (Jim Goodwin admitted he couldn't get anywhere near Jakubiak's wage demands). I ignored the fact that Hamilton would still be our first choice, I ignored the fact that Forster and basically our whole CH area had been neglected once again. I believed.

Clearly, I should have taken my head out of the sand because the first game of the season was a humping and it was down to the very same problems that existed on day one of the season before. Right down to the 3-5-2 being exposed down the wings and having to change it after going multiple goals behind.

Do I think McPake is the worst manager we've ever had? No, he's not anywhere near it. He's clearly done some things right and seems to have been at least partly responsible for the generation of promising youth talent that are chapping on the door so fair play to him for that, but that does not make him a good manager. If egos weren't a factor, him slipping back into that role whilst we appoint someone with any semblance of competence to be first team manager such as Tommy Wright would be the best decision making done at the club since Nelms came in.

I basically echoed these exact sentiments in a rant form to my very patient coworker. It's so much more infuriating than any other loss under his tenure. I think McPake would be great as a youth coach or reserve manager again, but the sheer fact that Friday was a mirror of the opening game last season except against a better team has really made it an impossible job for him. Quite simply, he needs to win a lot of games convincingly this season to gain back the fans' faith already. I really like McPake as a servant to the club, but now even I might have been shifted to the side of no confidence.

Friday's issues:

1) Formation - 3 at the back left us seriously exposed down the flanks - needs to be 4-4-2 - Forster to be nowhere near the team and sign a centre half who is either pacey or who is experienced enough to position themselves to make up for pace.

2) Slow midfield - if we start with Dorrans and Adam then we need 2 other midfielders to chase and do the donkey work - in a diamond with Adam pushed further forward - I think this means Robertson stepping up a lot more to chase and harry along with one other - Byrne looks the obvious shout and it is much more like the job he did at Livi. Failing that we need someone to be the enforcer in midfield to protect Dorrans/Adam - but I don't think we have the budget for that. Alternatively, the person who might be able to do that is a defender - I think Kerr could actually do this as I don't believe he is the best option at right back (I'd have Elliott ahead of him).

3) Sow and McGowan up top - Sow should get a thanks but no thanks message ASAP - McGowan as an alternative to Dorrans/Adam but not in the same team as them. Start with 2 from Mullen/Jakubiak/Afolabi.

4) Goalkeeper - yes he does not inspire confidence but I think having another centre half and a midfield enforcer is more important if our budget is limited.

Next match - with the players available - I'd go:

Hamilton

Elliott McGhee Ashworth Marshall

Byrne

Dorrans Robertson

Adam

Afelobi Mullen

I’m going to try not to talk about formations, line ups, tactics etc. Totally pointless. We just need to empty McPake. And when we do let’s not have any Jocky/Smith/Duffy/Weighorst chat. The next manager should be picked on merit not what club he played for.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Friday's issues:

1) Formation - 3 at the back left us seriously exposed down the flanks - needs to be 4-4-2 - Forster to be nowhere near the team and sign a centre half who is either pacey or who is experienced enough to position themselves to make up for pace.

2) Slow midfield - if we start with Dorrans and Adam then we need 2 other midfielders to chase and do the donkey work - in a diamond with Adam pushed further forward - I think this means Robertson stepping up a lot more to chase and harry along with one other - Byrne looks the obvious shout and it is much more like the job he did at Livi. Failing that we need someone to be the enforcer in midfield to protect Dorrans/Adam - but I don't think we have the budget for that. Alternatively, the person who might be able to do that is a defender - I think Kerr could actually do this as I don't believe he is the best option at right back (I'd have Elliott ahead of him).

3) Sow and McGowan up top - Sow should get a thanks but no thanks message ASAP - McGowan as an alternative to Dorrans/Adam but not in the same team as them. Start with 2 from Mullen/Jakubiak/Afolabi.

4) Goalkeeper - yes he does not inspire confidence but I think having another centre half and a midfield enforcer is more important if our budget is limited.

Next match - with the players available - I'd go:

Hamilton

Elliott McGhee Ashworth Marshall

Byrne

Dorrans Robertson

Adam

Afelobi Mullen

I'm glad we agree on pretty much everything there. If I can see it, you can see it, and most people here can see it, surely he can see it too.

37 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I’m going to try not to talk about formations, line ups, tactics etc. Totally pointless. We just need to empty McPake. And when we do let’s not have any Jocky/Smith/Duffy/Weighorst chat. The next manager should be picked on merit not what club he played for.

We'll spend a few weeks interviewing someone decent and then get turned down then panic and appoint Charlie Adam. Don't believe for one second that's not what happened with Goodwin last season, some of the language used around it was very creative (i.e. Nelms tried to imply Goodwin was never offered the job, I'm inclined to think that's techincally correct because Goodwin made it clear he wouldn't accept what was on the table).

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

Weighorst’s a good shout Spud 👍