All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'd need to see the free kick again but I thought Hamilton was poorly positioned - not taking anything away from the beautiful strike. As a keeper, being at fault for half of the goals conceded isn't too bad if you lose two nil. When you're shipping 6, then it's astonishingly bad you still retain your place every week. I'm not advocating chasing him out the club but the club desperately need to bring in another keeper to put the frighteners on him and his position. 

You'd be the only one.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

They've been needing to do that for a while and haven't though so I doubt it'll change now. 

I genuinely believe McPake only saw what we were worrying about at the half time whistle, so now I think he'll be more proactive in finding, if not an outright replacement, somebody able to compete for the job. If the news that Forster is injured is true (I wouldn't complain), maybe that'll chase him to look for that other CB too.

Anyone with functioning eye balls can see we have needed to strengthen in those positions so it can’t be a surprise to McPake after last night. Not the first time we have been pumped like that... It’s bizarre that he hasn’t addressed the goalkeeper situation in particular as in failing to do so he is gambling with his job. 

I have massive expectations now for this team next week, because last night was the most embarrassing night of McPake's tenure as manager, and he bloody well should know it. More embarrassing than his first derby loss (at least he had the excuse of being brand new), his 2nd derby loss, the QoS loss, the ICT loss, the Dunfermline loss, etc. Even though Hearts last night were a better team than all those, last night was the most embarrassing because it showed that McPake has learned absolutely nothing. It was the opening game of the season against Dunfermline all over again, except we played against a team that could fully exploit our weaknesses and any luck there was to be had in the game went against us rather than for us. I'd argue our starting line-up last night was weaker than that game at East End Park. I'll never be able to forget that he started Osman fucking Sow. I've backed McPake to the hilt going into this season, and already I'm furious. He needs to get next week spot on, or I think from the fans' point of view his situation will be untenable.

The starting of Sow was his biggest mistake. Signing the cunt was bad enough, but fucking starting him, ridiculous. Forster can surely only be a benchwarmer for use in emergencies. Hamilton is completely pathetic.
Playing McGowan with Adam and Dorrans - all 3 cannot get about the park - again ridiculous.
You can only assume the Keyes would like to make some sort of return out of this dalliance in Scotland. Get fat Tommy the grass in and start reaping ffs.

If only we could play a 4-5-2... big issue for us is feeling the need to play both Adam and Dorrans, and therefore having no pace in midfield. Makes you want to play 5 in midfield... but we want 2 up front too. 4-3-1-2 with either Dorrans or Gowser playing behind the strikers, and Adam back alongside two between Byrne, Robertson and Anderson. Problem with that is there's no width. Maybe a 4-1-3-2, with Byrne or Robertson in front of the defence with McDaid on the wing, but then you'd have to place either Dorrans or Adam on the other wing, which isn't what you want...

Can't wait to see how McPake figures this out... by just continuing to play 3-5-2.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I'm not advocating chasing him out the club but the club desperately need to bring in another keeper to put the frighteners on him and his position. 

Sadly I think this will only make things worse. I don't see him as being the sort of player to cope well under pressure, or 'rise to the occasion' as it were. I also think that the impetus is on him to perform already, what with him being in the last year of his deal. I think McPake is relying on this making him come good and is perhaps influenced by the fact the club paid money (yep, actual pound sterling) for him. Nevertheless, even if bringing in another keeper shattered his confidence, at least we'd have another keeper to replace him and hopefully improve the team. Unfortunately for Jack, that's the most important thing for the club right now and whilst I don't think he was anywhere near as responsible for last nights pumping as folk are making out, he's had enough chances to prove he's a capable keeper at this level - he's not.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If only we could play a 4-5-2... big issue for us is feeling the need to play both Adam and Dorrans, and therefore having no pace in midfield. Makes you want to play 5 in midfield... but we want 2 up front too. 4-3-1-2 with either Dorrans or Gowser playing behind the strikers, and Adam back alongside two between Byrne, Robertson and Anderson. Problem with that is there's no width. Maybe a 4-1-3-2, with Byrne or Robertson in front of the defence with McDaid on the wing, but then you'd have to place either Dorrans or Adam on the other wing, which isn't what you want...

I wasn't particularly enamoured with the signing of Adam (purely from a tactical point of view) and whilst seeing him play for the first time last night completely changed that - I do still feel like him and Dorrans are too similar and probably too expensive to have in the same team. Kinda reminds me of myself on FM when you find a player with a low release clause and sign him despite having no room for them at all, just because you can. But I totally agree that the lack of mobility from two of the midfield three to press their wide players was fatal last night. I can't believe we got to half time still in that shape. Was Mullen not fit enough to start last night? Was he scared to start Afolabi because he's on loan?

I'm not entirely sure if Robertson is supposed to be a defensive mid or not. He generally seems to like to stay anchored in midfield but haven't seen him be an aggresive ball winning type as of yet. I fear for his development if he's being asked to play an unsuitable role to cater for others around him. Also wonder what Byrne is supposed to be contributing to this team if it's not him playing that role for us - also under the impression he's not on a small wage either given we enticed him down from the league above.

All in - I've no confidende in McPake's ability to build a squad/team nor his ability to utilise the players he has got to get results. With Nelms appearing to be an all too forgiving boss, it seems saving our season is in the hands of the Scottish judicial system - which might just be worse.

Don’t see how we can play a back 5. It means playing Forster, and he’s shite. Cammy is probs not good enough offensively to play wing back, although he has the legs for it. Marshall doesn’t. He’s 1/2 a yard short of pace too. It’s got to be 4,5,1 if you want to play Adam and Dorrans - with Robertson/Byrne and maybe Anderson and McDaid wide. We had 3 reasonable strikers, as far as we know, and we blow money on that fucking haddy Sow when we need a keeper.

34 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Can't wait to see how McPake figures this out... by just continuing to play 3-5-2.

A 3-5-2 would work with a competent, quick centre half being the only change needed (not including GK) from players we have.

We can bin Sow, no need to have him at all.

35 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Spot on Johnny, I'm not convinced watching the game the feller was even totally awake last night before he made his 'excuse me' early in the second half and retired.

'Pay as you play contract' so we're led to believe, I assume then the man's now due the club money.

Get rid asap please. Poor, questionable, desperate recruitment as highlighted in fairness on p&b from day one from more than one poster. Including also Arab posters passing comment.

We do not have any salaries to waste at this time.

Regards

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

A 3-5-2 would work with a competent, quick centre half being the only change needed (not including GK) from players we have.

Agreed. 3-5-2 is the strongest formation we have but McPake's not signed a defender to make it work. It doesn't necessarily even need to be a quick CH as Berra proved last year.