All things Dundee FC

3 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

That was beautiful btw. 

I miss the bonetti era. Was good fun then 

It was irresponsible as f**k, but utterly mental. The one that stands out for me was a 3-2 win at McDiarmid. We created and missed enough chances to win that game about 10 times over. Caniggia in particular missed an open goal and two other sitters. We had one counter attack in the second half which was about 6 on 2 and still missed. Then Gavin Rae stuck a later 25 yarder into the top corner to win it. Other highlights included strolling to a piss easy 2-0 midweek win at Ibrox and obviously slapping the DABs 3-0 at home then 2-0 at Tannadice. The lows were brutal though 😂

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It was irresponsible as f**k, but utterly mental. The one that stands out for me was a 3-2 win at McDiarmid. We created and missed enough chances to win that game about 10 times over. Caniggia in particular missed an open goal and two other sitters. We had one counter attack in the second half which was about 6 on 2 and still missed. Then Gavin Rae stuck a later 25 yarder into the top corner to win it. Other highlights included strolling to a piss easy 2-0 midweek win at Ibrox and obviously slapping the DABs 3-0 at home then 2-0 at Tannadice. The lows were brutal though 😂

Won't see me arguing about it being irresponsible.  However best time of my life as a Dundee fan. Lucky to go out to Perugia with my dad. Just good times.

Not sure I would have picked Mackey but with the news of job losses and scrapping of most youth it would be a bit of a boot in the baws to fans and make us a laughing stock if we then went out and appointed anyone of note

recent example of arsenal players taking a wage cut for the sake of saving jobs and then ultimately sacking people anyway 

6 hours ago, Dan Danger said:

Anyone else heard any Charlie Adam rumours today? must be as coach as he will be about 20st by now

Been hearing that for a few years to be fair. Less likely now people have been axed. If true that's incredibly poor form by the club.

Been hearing that for a few years to be fair. Less likely now people have been axed. If true that's incredibly poor form by the club.
Hopefully pish. He'd be a lumbering mess nowadays. A bit like when we signed Chic Charnley but without the added bonus of Robbie Winters getting elbowed in the pus on three separate occasions.

I think the fact that he did respectably for Reading when he played last season proves he'd easily still have the quality to play at this level if he played here. The more glaring problem with the rumour (aside from the financial nature of it obviously) is that our midfield is probably our area of least concern.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

I think the fact that he did respectably for Reading when he played last season proves he'd easily still have the quality to play at this level if he played here. The more glaring problem with the rumour is that our midfield is probably our area of least concern.
Maybe he could play in goal?

Charlie Adam, 27 appearances for Reading only last season for goodness sake.

Crikey, even aged 34 he'd piss it at our current sub-standard operational level of football.

The main issue is, would he want to play for the current knots in charge of the team? I think not somehow, even if he does say he's a fan.

Professionalism always over rules the heart, plus the fact James McPake and Dave MacKay would likely feel intimidated by his very presence, rightly so as well.

Again, merely my opinion. 

1 minute ago, This Charming Man said:

Charlie Adam, 27 appearances for Reading only last season for goodness sake.

Crikey, even aged 34 he'd piss it at our current sub-standard operational level of football.

The main issue is, would he want to play for the current knots in charge of the team? I think not somehow, even if he does say he's a fan.

Professionalism always over rules the heart, plus the fact James McPake and Dave MacKay would likely feel intimidated by his very presence, rightly so as well.

Again, merely my opinion. 

A proper Charlie Adam rumour though, you must be in your element.

44 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

:huh:

We need to build a squad. 

Edit : unless you mean he'd only be coming in as a coach? 

It was the coaching I was referring to. Could have worded it better. 

It would be his major draw to Dundee and I would imagine the fee for player/coach would be eye watering and in slightly bad taste after the redundancies.

Edited by Crawford

Why spend the cash on Adam when we have an on paper already cracking midfield for this level including one already ex-Premier League, Scotland capped ace? Glaring other weaknesses in the team. Whilst it'd be a coup, it'd be a complete misuse of finances when we are in desperate need of a goalkeeper, CH & striker. There's no guarantees a notoriously out of shape footballer would be in amazing shape.

Reading fans forum descriptions of him are extremely encouraging until it hit January:

'Waste of a wage and the exact opposite of what we need. We are not a retirement home, we need to invest in youth. '

'His legs have gone'

'His total lack of mobility and therefore reliance on long pings and lack of defensive shape is a problem though, so I wouldn't be keen on him getting much pitch time. '

'Totally off the pace. Looks like he’s been drinking.'

'I like Charlie, however he`s out of shape'

'Charlie Adam for me was key to our run over Christmas, now can’t even get on the pitch as he's so overweight and unfit'

'Was genuinely like watching a pub player the past few month'

'Was worse than being with 10 men today due to Adam. Could have been sent off (diving), lost the ball NINE times. Didn't press the ball. Awful.

End the experiment'

No thanks.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

A proper Charlie Adam rumour though, you must be in your element.

Not really Ross, just extremely frustrating the club would happily employ in recent seasons complete charlatans and clowns as manager, yet could not see the obvious benefits of engaging Charlie Adam as player/assistant manager.

Dave MacKay, FFS, let's continue our long sleepwalk.

Regards

(Just read Ludo's posting re Adam's spell at Reading, let's remind ourselves, we are lower league Scottish Football)   

3 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Not really Ross, just extremely frustrating the club would happily employ in recent seasons complete charlatans and clowns as manager, yet could not see the obvious benefits of engaging Charlie Adam as player/assistant manager.

Dave MacKay, FFS, let's continue our long sleepwalk.

Regards

(Just read Ludo's posting re Adam's spell at Reading, let's remind ourselves, we are lower league Scottish Football)   

Exactly, let's remind ourselves that we are lower league Scottish football with glaring weaknesses in the side and are struggling financially due to a global pandemic. The last thing we need is a very expensive addition (Quality or not) in an area that has no need to be strengthened and would more than likely only be denying our only massively promising youth player some invaluable game time.

Just because he was a quality player doesn't mean he has anything to give as an assistant manager either. That's ridiculous.

Charlie Adam in every newspaper for the past three years - "I'll return to Scotland if the right club want me" - *insert multiple unsubtle hints about it being Rangers hes desperate to join

Dundee fans - "Its us! Hes coming home!"

14 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Exactly, let's remind ourselves that we are lower league Scottish football with glaring weaknesses in the side and are struggling financially due to a global pandemic. The last thing we need is a very expensive addition (Quality or not) in an area that has no need to be strengthened and would more than likely only be denying our only massively promising youth player some invaluable game time.

Just because he was a quality player doesn't mean he has anything to give as an assistant manager either. That's ridiculous.

Ludo, stay with me and whilst I as always respect all opinions, I do not and cannot agree.

Please name, highlight any potential midfielder on our books who would be more effective than Adam at our level. (Please don't say McPake's mate Dorrans).

As for Charlie Adams' managerial credentials, ridiculous?

Jeezo, amusingly we currently have James McPake and his other mate, Dave MacKay, or has everyone forgotten this extremely worrying fact?

Regards as always   

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Absolutely this. We also thought Dorrans, Byrne and Jamie fucking Ness were great signings who would stroll it at this level. Unfortunately we failed to factor in a manager completely out of his depth who didn't and likely still doesn't know how to utilise then properly. I don't see how being shite for a complete non-event of a Reading side in the mid-to-lower reaches of the second tier in England translates to him dominating the Championship. If anything he'd come up thinking himself he'll stroll it which would be entirely the wrong attitude. 

Signing a washed up Charlie Adam is a Football Manager (The game) style Hail Mary that would cost a fortune and most likely result in an unfit and overweight footballer contributing little other than a flukey 30 yarder once every 6 months. Pointless. 

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Charlie Adam in every newspaper for the past three years - "I'll return to Scotland if the right club want me" - *insert multiple unsubtle hints about it being Rangers hes desperate to join

Dundee fans - "Its us! Hes coming home!"

Scintillating stuff.