All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Smith took a few coaching sessions for the under 17s last year. Last year he went from group to group mostly joining in helping younger coaches.

So no surprise he hasnt been about.

Same person says Strachan is a waste of a wage. Yet I believe many Dundee fans think otherwise. Plus side of Strachan seems to be he dosnt get paid. If that's the case then that isn't so bad. 

The waste of a wage comment about Strachan, was that from a parent who’s son is perhaps struggling to make the grade?

I‘ve known 1 of the under age teams coach‘s for 20 odd years who tells it as it is basically. He said Strachan is a fantastic coach and him personally as a coach and especially the young players don’t know how lucky they are to have him at the club. 

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

The waste of a wage comment about Strachan, was that from a parent who’s son is perhaps struggling to make the grade?

I‘ve known 1 of the under age teams coach‘s for 20 odd years who tells it as it is basically. He said Strachan is a fantastic coach and him personally as a coach and especially the young players don’t know how lucky they are to have him at the club. 

Wage comment is correct. However I didnt realise Strachan isn't getting a wage. However said player seems to be well thought of. Seems to be down to the player to make a go of it 

However all this youth setup seems to be coming from Strachan. 

For me we need to start producing youngsters and at least cashing in on some. 

7 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Absolutely agree but it really is much easier said than done.

I don't want to degrade the efforts of the unders coaches, but there simply isn't a demand for our young players.

The unders schemes at much larger clubs down south struggle to cash in on players and they can take many more youngsters on at a time on too.

For example our new boy Alex. He went through the youth setup at Watford and now he is with us.

Gutted for everyone involved, but a few redundancies Vs everyone losing their jobs is a one way decision unfortunately.

Hopefully those that stayed on as volunteers are the first ones re-employed when things pick up.

17 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Absolutely agree but it really is much easier said than done.

I don't want to degrade the efforts of the unders coaches, but there simply isn't a demand for our young players.

Yet across the road they have managed to sell a few of them over the years and  get decent sums.

If anyone wants to tell me how much money we have made and who from regarding youngsters that be pretty cool 

Surely youth is our future ? We hardly ever seem to play them yet a fair few clubs  chuck them in and see how they get on . 

Kevin Mcdonald we did well with. 

Edited by G_Man1985

11 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Yet across the road they have managed to sell a few of them over the years and  get decent sums.

Goodwillie and Gauld they got about £6m for, if reported fees were all paid and settled. An amazing amount of money for a club their size off of two players. 

I'd love youth to be the route we go down but it isn't a very sustainable model at this level whilst we continue to overspend to get up/stay up. Whilst we chase every manager out the door after 12 months. 

What we should be looking to do - especially if the salary cap remains - is looking at young players being released from the elite clubs in England and battling it out with League 1/League 2 clubs for their signatures. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Goodwillie and Gauld they got about £6m for, if reported fees were all paid and settled. An amazing amount of money for a club their size off of two players. 

I'd love youth to be the route we go down but it isn't a very sustainable model at this level whilst we continue to overspend to get up/stay up. Whilst we chase every manager out the door after 12 months. 

What we should be looking to do - especially if the salary cap remains - is looking at young players being released from the elite clubs in England and battling it out with League 1/League 2 clubs for their signatures. 

Hadn't even thought of they two. Was thinking of the players recently they ended up getting development fees for. Souter, coote, freeman ( yet he came back ) .

Can't we also look at younger players in the lower Scottish divisions ? I agree however something clearly no right if we aren't producing anyone.

Mcintosh looked like some potential and sure we were close to getting a quarter million for ( i may have made this up )

Even the boys we usually send out on loan. They usually come back and then released.

Seems to be just Kerr we have stuck by.. 

Anyway hopefully this year forces us to play more youngsters. 

Edited by G_Man1985

1 hour ago, Wighton said:

I heard the 18s team is being ditched with 6-8 going up to the first team squad and the rest loaned out.

This was mentioned in March/ April im sure ( may have been myself ) . Sure McPake then said 6 youngsters will be brought up to first team squad 

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Wage comment is correct. However I didnt realise Strachan isn't getting a wage. However said player seems to be well thought of. Seems to be down to the player to make a go of it 

However all this youth setup seems to be coming from Strachan. 

Who said the boy was well thought of, his parent or coaches? Every player will be told it’s up to them regardless of age tho. 

Edited by Yenitit

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Who said the boy was well thought of, his parent or coaches? Every player will be told it’s out to them regardless of age tho. 

Was Mcpake who use to coach him and then he moved on. Then it was Barry Smith who told him he had to lose some weight and now its been between Scott Robertson and Kevin McNaughton who are coaching him. He was meant to head out to Kirrie but that hasn't happened just yet. 

Mcpake took one player with him at that age group and that was Robertson. 4 of them were left as season before the whole team got binned. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Dundee United have historically, for whatever reason been very successful in securing substantial transfer fees for home raised players. Even players brought in for a short period, that Nadir Ciftci fellow for example, £1.5M raised for goodness sake.

Agree with the idea of harvesting released youngsters from the elite English clubs. The gulf in finances is the enemy here however, most of these young lads will have been on six figure annual salaries before they're even old enough to legally buy a pint of beer.

Then there is the example of Glen Kamara, signed on a free from Arsenal, on a deal with us which effectively enabled him to dictate his departure for loose change after downing his tools when the notion took him.

Greater need to 'box clever' in the modern game I'm afraid.

Regards   

23 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

You could play snooker on that surface. Best in Scotland. IMO.

Nice to see that you are finally reaping the benefit of putting shite out on the pitch for the last few seasons. 

The Youth set up at any team all relies heavily on who is employed at the time to oversee it, for instance Shaun Maloney was rejected by Aberdeen for being too wee, as the youth coach at the time wanted big, strong players. The first team manager at the time also needs to take more punts on the ones with potential and keep playing them if they are good enough.

We, just now, seem to get rid of them too quickly or not give them a chance at all in favour of the likes of Sean Mackie, Josh McPake etc....

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Really?   In the time that Nelms has been here Hartley was given more than enough time.  McCann was also given every opportunity to show even a slight improvement.  Unfortunately he never bothered taking that opportunity.

Anyone on here want to argue that we should have kept McIntyre on for longer?  Anyone at all?

That only leaves McPake......

A decent managerial appointment from Nelms would be the best way to stop fans looking for any managerial replacement.

Edited by Shadow Play

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

Really?   In the time that Nelms has been here Hartley was given more than enough time.  McCann was also given every opportunity to show even a slight improvement.  Unfortunately he never bothered taking that opportunity.

I'm not talking about Nelms.

Hartley started getting chased about half way through the second season. McCann never even got a full season before it started. McIntyre should never have got in.. McPake was getting chased before he was appointed. 

There won't be a route consistently for youth to come through until there is consistency in the managers office. There won't ever be consistency in the managers office because the support won't allow it until Dundee sit 4th in the table or above, annually. 

I'm not talking about Nelms.
Hartley started getting chased about half way through the second season. McCann never even got a full season before it started. McIntyre should never have got in.. McPake was getting chased before he was appointed. 
There won't be a route consistently for youth to come through until there is consistency in the managers office. There won't ever be consistency in the managers office because the support won't allow it until Dundee sit 4th in the table or above, annually. 

f**k 4th, I want 3rd.