All things Dundee FC

Hearts away on opening day a side, that's a fairly shite fixture list.

Fewer home games. Face Hearts, Ayr and ICT away twice. Away to Dumfries on Boxing Day.

Shite.

Hearts away on opening day a side, that's a fairly shite fixture list.
Fewer home games. Face Hearts, Ayr and ICT away twice. Away to Dumfries on Boxing Day.
Shite.

Plus we have the 3 closest away days twice at home in Arbroath, Dunfermline and Raith [emoji849] and both start and finish away. Not sure it could be much worse.

Just now, Yenitit said:

We’ve been shafted. 13 home games and 14 away. Away to Hearts, Inverness & Ayr twice each plus away to the 2 teams with AstroTurf (Queens & Alloa) twice each. 

Piss right off 😡

Spinning it another way, home to Raith, Dunfermline and Morton who we've always had issues traveling to. The astro teams finished in the bottom 3 and we picked up wins there last term  (early draw at QotS reflective of our form at the time), indeed those would be the exact games you would want to play away from home. We also did well at Ayr last term. You could also argue that Hearts coming early is a big benefit if it takes time for them to get going, which it sometimes does for the bigger sides in this league (see us in 13/14, we were pish at the start).

I don't really see any reason to be wound up by any of this tbh. Teams all went into a computer and 50% of sides were always going to be slightly worse off.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Spinning it another way, home to Raith, Dunfermline and Morton who we've always had issues traveling to. The astro teams finished in the bottom 3 and we picked up wins there last term  (early draw at QotS reflective of our form at the time), indeed those would be the exact games you would want to play away from home. We also did well at Ayr last term. You could also argue that Hearts coming early is a big benefit if it takes time for them to get going, which it sometimes does for the bigger sides in this league (see us in 13/14, we were pish at the start).

I don't really see any reason to be wound up by any of this tbh. Teams all went into a computer and 50% of sides were always going to be slightly worse off.

This. 

Hearts will pretty much have a brand new squad and a big legal fee to shell out for. Best time to play them imo.

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

We agree on something 🙂

However will still get fans that feel its a conspiracy etc.

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

We agree on something 🙂

However will still get fans that feel its a conspiracy etc.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think it's a bit shit. Some teams had to suffer with the reduced season and we are one.

12 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Are you saying if we flipped the fixtures around we’d have a harder set of fixtures? Come on eh. 

The club has possibly lost out on money as well if crowds are allowed into the grounds from the 1st game. Oh and Hearts have possibly 3 of their main rivals twice at home and 1 away each. Nothing to see here. 

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think it's a bit shit. Some teams had to suffer with the reduced season and we are one.

Once we do the business this year and win the league we will be back to more crowds at Dens the following season. Mcpake in charge and the players we will have set his sights on we will be fine 🙂
1 game less at home, however a nice little cup run to sort that out

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Once we do the business this year and win the league we will be back to more crowds at Dens the following season. Mcpake in charge and the players we will have set his sights on we will be fine 🙂
1 game less at home, however a nice little cup run to sort that out

If you're not taking the opportunity to moan now like the rest of us, I'm denying you the opportunity for when this season gets real tough! 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you're not taking the opportunity to moan now like the rest of us, I'm denying you the opportunity for when this season gets real tough! 

Enjoy the moan if that gets you through today. When the season gets real i expect my club to be near top of the table and at least challenging for top spot. 

Just now, Yenitit said:

Are you saying if we flipped the fixtures around we’d have a harder set of fixtures? Come on eh. 

The club has possibly lost out on money as well if crowds are allowed into the grounds from the 1st game. Oh and Hearts have possibly 3 of their main rivals twice at home and 1 away each. Nothing to see here. 

I don't think definitively either way, we've been one of the 5/10 who are unlucky with the extra away fixture but that's the reality of the 27 game season, it is what it is. I don't think there's much point in trying to be too analytical over any of that and we were always going to face this sort of issue. It's all immaterial if the squad don't perform anyway.

22 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I don't think definitively either way, we've been one of the 5/10 who are unlucky with the extra away fixture but that's the reality of the 27 game season, it is what it is. I don't think there's much point in trying to be too analytical over any of that and we were always going to face this sort of issue. It's all immaterial if the squad don't perform anyway.

Yes or no, would it be better to have 14 home games rather than 13 and Hearts, Inverness and Ayr twice at Dens rather than twice away?

Edited by Yenitit

8 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Yes or no, would it be better to have 14 home games rather than 13 and Hearts, Inverness and Ayr twice at Dens rather than twice away?

We had a dreadful January in which we got humped by Dunfermline, Inverness and Motherwell with ease.  A game V Ayr, scheduled, was postponed. We got them in March and just before lockdown, our double header saw us take advantage over them, if the season finished, that would have had positive implications for the play-off. A lot of these scenarios in football are just unpredictable, new manager effects for example are a real concept (much harder to prepare your tactics when the opposition are changing their playing style).

It certainly is the most straight forward intuitive answer to suggest that we're in a worse position but it's difficult to quantify what that exactly means. The avg better performance in points per game last season for teams playing at home isn't huge (significantly closer to 0 than 1) and after that, you're really just looking at all these nuances and scenarios surrounding circumstances of individual games (like my example above).

It's unlikely that teams will be coming out of this season with genuine grievances about the home/away split and having to play (this seasons very poor) sides on astro that they'll be able to back up tangibly as being the decisive factor in failure. This isn't the Trans-Siberian league spanning multiple continents and climates and potentially encountering hostile environments, it's a case of a group of mostly central based players having to play at some grounds (that they are already likely familiar with) a bit more than others.