All things Dundee FC

28 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Has to be Fin - can't see Ness, Byrne or McDaid being of serious interest to anyone on the topflight.

I do presume that the whole story is crap, admittedly...

Byrne was widely regarded as a bit of a coup when we signed him, wouldn't be surprised if he went on loan to a top flight team to save on his wages.

Byrne back to Livi would be my guess. 

I think Robertson could become a very decent player in time, but I also think he's not yet at the point where he's going to be a regular selection in a team that should be aiming for promotion. I could understand it if the club sold him if they felt the offer was too good to turn down, even though that means he'd probably just end up sitting on the bench not playing for a Premiership team.

If we announced we'd signed Callachan but sold Robertson, I'd be ok with that.

Edited by Boo Khaki

55 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

If we announced we'd signed Callachan but sold Robertson, I'd be ok with that.

This is absolutely mental to me. One has the potential not only to get us out this league but to play, comfortably, at the level above. 

The other is a heidless chicken who, despite being exceptionally pivotal to us getting out this league, will be one of the first bombed out of the club (and rightly so) as he's technically fucking woeful. 

I don't think the club is in any position to be turning down bids for players based on 'potential' alone. 

The number of times a player comes into the team at 16 or 17, folk presume they're going to push on and be sold a couple of years down the line for squillions. The times that actually happens compared to how often the player is still plugging away, in and out of the side at 22 or 23, is vanishingly small. We've seen it before with Wighton, and to a lesser extent Cammy Kerr.

Getting promoted should be the #1 priority of Dundee FC right now, and Callachan suits that purpose far more that Roberston does.

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't think the club is in any position to be turning down bids for players based on 'potential' alone. 

The number of times a player comes into the team at 16 or 17, folk presume they're going to push on and be sold a couple of years down the line for squillions. The times that actually happens compared to how often the player is still plugging away, in and out of the side at 22 or 23, is vanishingly small. We've seen it before with Wighton, and to a lesser extent Cammy Kerr.

Getting promoted should be the #1 priority of Dundee FC right now, and Callachan suits that purpose far more that Roberston does.

Robertson looks a much better player than Wighton at that age.

2 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Robertson looks a much better player than Wighton at that age.

It's difficult to tell with a player so young, but I think if Roberston can add some athleticism as he matures, and develop a bit more of a dynamic aspect to his play, then yes, he could go a long way. 

I think it's perhaps that Wighton had more innate natural ability, skill on the ball etc, so perhaps looked the more talented to the naked eye, flattered to deceive so to speak, but Robertson probably has more of a chance of going on to become a more effective and rounded professional in that he'll be able to hold down a regular place in a starting 11 in the way Wighton never has.

32 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It's difficult to tell with a player so young, but I think if Roberston can add some athleticism as he matures, and develop a bit more of a dynamic aspect to his play, then yes, he could go a long way. 

I think it's perhaps that Wighton had more innate natural ability, skill on the ball etc, so perhaps looked the more talented to the naked eye, flattered to deceive so to speak, but Robertson probably has more of a chance of going on to become a more effective and rounded professional in that he'll be able to hold down a regular place in a starting 11 in the way Wighton never has.

Agree, Wighton just never impressed me.

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Sorry to butt in, but the omission with the most glaring glaringness has to be Kevin McAllister!

Is that not the main character in Home Alone?

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Agree, Wighton just never impressed me.

Really obvious example of a player being hyped up simply because of the fact he was playing 1st team football at 16. You have to have some sort of ability to do that, but I don't think it automatically follows that those players are going to kick on and become stars. Wighton doesn't look any better a player now than he did at 16, and although it's tempting to blame that on coaching etc, it is sometimes true that players peak very early in their careers and never really develop any further. That's what I'd worry about with Robertson if I'm honest. 

I see Wayne Rooney as the perfect example of this. Ok, there's no denying he was a top player for the majority of his career, but at 17 ,18, I think he was just as, if not more effective than he was later in his career, once his lack of natural athleticism caught up with him. I'd take the 18 year old Rooney over the 30 year old version for sure. I also think he was played into the ground far too young, and that perhaps goes some way to explaining why he never really took the next step of becoming a top, top world star like Ronaldo, Messi etc

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Really obvious example of a player being hyped up simply because of the fact he was playing 1st team football at 16.

Was Wighton not absolutely sensational at every age group until he hit the first team?

I don't know about 'absolutely sensational', but he was always described as standing out from the crowd, even in international age group teams. It's not as if he's one of those laddies who is hugely physically more developed than most his age either, he's still a bit on the scrawny side even at 22.

It's not that he's ever looked totally out of his depth playing 1st team football, he's just never nailed down a starting place or position, and doesn't really look as if he's progressed at all since he was 16 or 17.

He did have a wee run of games in our team right before he got the serious injury, so perhaps there's an argument that says he was on the verge of taking that step when the injury happened, but that was a really poor side without a lot of competition for places anyway, so it's difficult to say.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I get what you're saying but I doubt there's a top flight club outside Rangers or Celtic that can make it worthwhile selling Robertson. The market is different at that level just now too and even Aberdeen and Hibs are not going to be getting near £100k just now. I'm not convinced it's Robertson it the other facts are true. Not sensing it's an Old Firm club that is the Premiership club in question

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was Wighton not absolutely sensational at every age group until he hit the first team?

He wasn't too bad in the first team, either. Sadly for him, he wasn't imposing enough to be the main striker at 17/18/19 so we decided the thing to do, to bring him on, was to put a relatively slow player out on the wing and then become bemused with his performances then sell him for a profit. 

I've said it a few times, he'd excel on the continent where he has a slightest few seconds more on the ball and teams generally sit off you more. His vision is great - he just goes missing in games when boys are volleying him and bungling him over every two minutes. As a second striker or an advanced central midfielder, he has the ability to tie boys in knots. 

41 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He wasn't too bad in the first team, either. Sadly for him, he wasn't imposing enough to be the main striker at 17/18/19 so we decided the thing to do, to bring him on, was to put a relatively slow player out on the wing and then become bemused with his performances then sell him for a profit. 

I've said it a few times, he'd excel on the continent where he has a slightest few seconds more on the ball and teams generally sit off you more. His vision is great - he just goes missing in games when boys are volleying him and bungling him over every two minutes. As a second striker or an advanced central midfielder, he has the ability to tie boys in knots. 

He also has the ability to make grown men cry.

E9EFE855-D682-4D80-8C0B-CEFF7533F14E.jpeg

Anyone heard anything further on what's happening with McGowan & Meekings (and Field as well, I suppose)?

Sure someone posted on here that Caley were potentially looking at bringing Meekings back. Be a little bit of a shame as he was finally showing the best form of his Dundee career just as the season ended, but he wouldn't be a massive loss truth be told. I am fearful of McGowan leaving though!