All things Dundee FC

6 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

Looking at the current squad list (and presuming that the players out of contract in June are kept), I really see us only needing a keeper, central defender and one, maybe two, back-up strikers to be capable of doing the business next season. This assumes, of course, that the manager finally gets his head screwed on properly...

Thoughts???

I’d go with what you’ve suggested but instead of a 2nd striker I’d go for a wide midfielder. Without sounding like a broken down record the manager gives me the fear. There’s far better managers unemployed at the moment that would be ideal for us if they fancied it.  

Edited by Yenitit

3 hours ago, thommohawk said:

Just ordered the new away strip for me and my son. Looks absilutely brilliant although the sizes look a bit ticht!

When is it due to be released? 

The neck on the away is the only thing stopping me taking the plunge. 

On 13/06/2020 at 05:37, thommohawk said:

Just ordered the new away strip for me and my son. Looks absilutely brilliant although the sizes look a bit ticht!

Maybe you've mixed your son's up with yours?

On 12/06/2020 at 12:22, Spikethedee said:

Looking at the current squad list (and presuming that the players out of contract in June are kept), I really see us only needing a keeper, central defender and one, maybe two, back-up strikers to be capable of doing the business next season. This assumes, of course, that the manager finally gets his head screwed on properly...

Thoughts???

If McPake is going to continue to play with 3 central defenders then adding another is a must. We also need more energy and dig in the centre of the park. Callachan would provide that if he signs, but we could always use another box-to-box type to do the donkey work next to Dorrans. I'm not bothered about wide players or wingers because they're usually left sitting on the bench anyway when you play with wingbacks, but I do think that as well as another centre forward to lead the line, we need a true #10 type to play the role McGowan has been squeezed into. The guy who plays between the midfield and forwards should have the intelligence and running to pull defenders out of their defensive shape, open space for runners, and exploit their own space to create for the forwards. That's not McGowan's game, and I've thought he's a square peg in a round hole right from the moment McCann started playing him there. I think Gowser is far better in a three man central midfield where he can use his energy to harry and harass the ball carrier. I don't think he's really suited to the attacking mid role at all. He doesn't create enough, and he carries virtually no goal threat himself. And aye, we definitely need a reliable goalkeeper from somewhere, even if it's just another loan signing.

League Reconstruction rejected, so a 27 game, 10 team Championship it is (Hearts' inevitable legal bleatings notwithstanding). I take it that will have an affect on season ticket pricing etc? Also, will it depend on if the first set of matches will be behind closed doors or not?

4 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

League Reconstruction rejected, so a 27 game, 10 team Championship it is (Hearts' inevitable legal bleatings notwithstanding). I take it that will have an affect on season ticket pricing etc? Also, will it depend on if the first set of matches will be behind closed doors or not?

Yeah, that's the club officially announced they have temporarily suspended ST sales in order to restructure pricing and whatnot.

Rangers fans all over our Twitter as if this is some sign of us going bust. Fantastic stuff.

It’s hilarious, the last thing the club would be doing if they were going bust is stopping an income source! Zombies don’t logic too well.

I see St Mirren are after Alex Jakubiak & Alex Gogic. Two players I'd love to see us try and steal. Unlikely we'd get either if top flight teams are after them, but would hope we'd try.

Jakubiak could be perfect foil as a battering ram. He flourished with Nelson at Falkirk so that'd be a bonus as I imagine Nelson will be our third choice striker. Gives us three different types of striker in Hemmings, Nelson & Jakubiak.

Also, completely random, but before Deewok was introduced, did we ever have a previous mascot? My favourite ever story about Deewok has to be when Dundee released a statement saying:

"The mascot was given an official warning after he shot a policeman in the face with a water pistol and mimicked being drunk at New Year.

"We did not deem this appropriate behaviour at a family club."

Edited by Ludo*1

I hope I am not saying this prematurely, however it looks like our handling of the Covid-19 situation is a million times better than the majority of other clubs.

You read other clubs threads and it's all about their better players leaving them, some with very few players at all. I am not gloating about this, I find it quite a tragic state of affairs at the likes of Queen of the South. I don't think any club will go to the wall either.

We have a fully gelled squad, that only needs around 3 additions and our insurance looks to be covering the possible losses.

We haven't had an update from the club in a while with exception to the ST's (understandably) being on hold. No news is good news I hope.

Edited by johnnydun

2 minutes ago, Falkirk09Bairn said:

Why did Dundee vote against reconstruction? Having Hearts down in the Championship can’t be good for your title chances. 

We believe in fairness. Democratic vote is the fairest way.

And we'll smash Hearts. 

And we thank Lawwell for his very generous donation.

On 17/06/2020 at 00:55, johnnydun said:

I hope I am not saying this prematurely, however it looks like our handling of the Covid-19 situation is a million times better than the majority of other clubs.

You read other clubs threads and it's all about their better players leaving them, some with very few players at all. I am not gloating about this, I find it quite a tragic state of affairs at the likes of Queen of the South. I don't think any club will go to the wall either.

We have a fully gelled squad, that only needs around 3 additions and our insurance looks to be covering the possible losses.

We haven't had an update from the club in a while with exception to the ST's (understandably) being on hold. No news is good news I hope.

Have the players who signed temporary extensions at the end of May actually put pen to paper on new, long-term deals?

Not just trying to be a debbie downer, but if they've not, that 'around 3 additions' could easily be 6 or 7 required come the end of June.

I don't think those players would refuse a deal if offered, but it is possible the one-month extension was a show of gratitude and solidarity, and not a signal of intent.

Edited by Boo Khaki