All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

This 25 point thing is nonsense. Why do we need to hold a grudge over something that happened 10 year ago when many of the people involved are no longer involved with them clubs and the league organisation then doesn't even exist anymore? Should we be judged forever more on the actions of Melville, Di Stefano or Angus Cook?

Possibly is too soon to say Nelms done well and the only reason I ramp up that rhetoric is due to the fact that there's some outrageous shouts from people (Not just NDD) saying they won't return due to his actions etc when he's done very little wrong other than trying to get us the best deal. Whether that pans out or not is out of our and his hands, but it won't have been for a lack of trying.

I raised the 25 points to highlight that no club really cares about other clubs.  In football, as in business, most decisions made are made for your own benefit.  Don’t get me wrong clubs and businesses dress up their decisions like they care but at the end of every decision lies an accountant.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 
Nelms has been a shambles with regards to appointing managers (McIntyre was incredibly close to being unforgivable for me).  Maybe his strength is wheeling and dealing with other clubs regarding league reconstruction.  

Forgive me if I’m struggling to be convinced. 

Edited by Shadow Play

Just now, Shadow Play said:

I raised the 25 points to highlight that no club really cares about other clubs.  In football, as in business, most decisions made are made for your own benefit.  Don’t get me wrong clubs and businesses dress up their decisions like they care but at the end of every decision lies an accountant.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 
Nelms has been a shambles with regards to appointing managers (McIntyre was incredibly close to being unforgivable for me).  Maybe his strength is wheeling and dealing with other clubs regarding league reconstruction.  

Forgive me if I’m struggling to be convinced. 

Won't disagree on his managerial appointments. He needs to take a step back in regards to that.

I do think he gets an unnecessarily hard time from our support. He's (And obviously Keyes) have given us 7 year of off the pitch stability and whilst it's been a bumpy road off the pitch, his first appointment took us to heights we'd not seen at our club since Bonetti's millions and arguably should have taken us further.

It's not a hard contest to win but he and Keyes have been the best owners of our club in my lifetime and the only thing I'd moan about is 2 shocking managerial appointments (Even then, I bought into McCann for a bit) and a few overzealous promises such as the game in the US so forgive me for giving him some credit when there's the opportunity to do so.

28 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Won't disagree on his managerial appointments. He needs to take a step back in regards to that.

I do think he gets an unnecessarily hard time from our support. He's (And obviously Keyes) have given us 7 year of off the pitch stability and whilst it's been a bumpy road off the pitch, his first appointment took us to heights we'd not seen at our club since Bonetti's millions and arguably should have taken us further.

It's not a hard contest to win but he and Keyes have been the best owners of our club in my lifetime and the only thing I'd moan about is 2 shocking managerial appointments (Even then, I bought into McCann for a bit) and a few overzealous promises such as the game in the US so forgive me for giving him some credit when there's the opportunity to do so.

Now that is something I can 100% agree with you on.

Perhaps his biggest problem is that relative success came fairly early on in his time here and unfortunately for one reason or another we have not kicked on.

A lot of the problems at Dens stem from there is still a huge number of folk who go who have ideas above their station. Nobody seems to accept that until we get stability for 5/10 years in the top flight, we are nothing but a yo yo club. And have been for fucking years. 

Theres guys in their 20's and 30's who go on about beating Cologne and meetings with AC Milan like they were there and it should still be an ongoing thing. 

We're probably one of the worst support bases to play in front of when things are going bad. Going well we are fucking excellent at backing the team but after 20 straight wins we lose 2 and everybody has to be emptied. The whole squad is shite and what's that CEO even daein for his £750,000 a year wages. 

Edited by Dele

think nelms gets a hard time because hes the man on the ground...I wouldn't be surprised if every decision he makes has been run by keyes before getting the go ahead...that's why I think there was such a f**k up with our vote last week.

1 hour ago, Dele said:

A lot of the problems at Dens stem from there is still a huge number of folk who go who have ideas above their station. Nobody seems to accept that until we get stability for 5/10 years in the top flight, we are nothing but a yo yo club. And have been for fucking years. 

Theres guys in their 20's and 30's who go on about beating Cologne and meetings with AC Milan like they were there and it should still be an ongoing thing. 

We're probably one of the worst support bases to play in front of when things are going bad. Going well we are fucking excellent at backing the team but after 20 straight wins we lose 2 and everybody has to be emptied. The whole squad is shite and what's that CEO even daein for his £750,000 a year wages. 

Absolutely. But fans are just scratching their heads. We have strong financial backing and a good fan base (in numbers) yet we are still behind diddies like St Johnstone and Motherwell. The problem has to lie with the owners decisions. 

3 hours ago, Dele said:

We're probably one of the worst support bases to play in front of when things are going bad. Going well we are fucking excellent at backing the team but after 20 straight wins we lose 2 and everybody has to be emptied.

Couldn't agree more with this bit. Dens can have a really poisonous atmosphere at times, like most of last season in the Prem. I am sure this doesn't help the confidence of players, but it goes back to what fans expect, a lot of our support do think we should be, by right alone, pushing top 4 in the Prem every season, it just doesn't work like that and things need to be steadied with less demand from some of our fan base.

8 hours ago, Chewing Taffies said:

Absolutely. But fans are just scratching their heads. We have strong financial backing and a good fan base (in numbers) yet we are still behind diddies like St Johnstone.

We've arguably had an, ever evolving, consistent team since about 2006 tbf.

If that makes sense.

You lot are barely 12 months into your squad.

12 hours ago, Dele said:

I think the section I’ve highlighted is what frustrates many Dundee fans the most.  We did get into the top flight with Nelms at the helm and with better appointments we could have remained there and no longer be considered a yo-yo club.  As it is we are back at square one.  In terms of what we have achieved on the park in the 7 or so years Nelms has been here that can only be described as a failure.

I actually know a couple of fans that were at the Cologne and AC Milan games and in all their time at Dens they can’t recall such an ill judged appointment as McIntyre, nor such a left field appointment as McCann.  

Don’t get me wrong I will still buy my season ticket and support the team but I think it’s only right and proper that in a forum such as this failures on and off the park are acknowledged and explored. 

In my opinion I think McCann would have turned it around, especially in the championship with the amount of time Mcpake has been given at the helm I’d wager McCann would do better
Tbh McCann, McPake and McIntyre are all utterly atrocious managers and none of them would have got us promoted. At a push, bizarrely, I'd say McIntyre as he's done it before. Ultimately though all three are abject failures.