All things Dundee FC

16 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

In the 40 years I’ve been going only 2 managers would I describe as ‘good’. Jocky and Archie Knox - the rest have been average to absolutely pish.

Agree, would chuck in Donald Mackay as well.

10 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Oh, I don't know.

6 to 7 hours solid sleep, fvcking priceless imho.

Fatigued regards

Sweet  dreams. CM.

Depends what you define as good, as you'd need to be absolutely fantastic to achieve anything of note under our owners over the years. 

I've enjoyed going to Dens whilst Duffy x 2, McCormack, Jocky x 2, Bonetti, Barry Smith, Alex Rae and Paul Hartley have many manager for varying degrees of time. Many I wouldn't consider a good manager though. 

Barry Smith has proven to be a horrendous manager over time but he saved our club with his leadership, gave me my favourite ever season supporting my club and then eventually got us promoted indirectly and his failing was not really his fault. So as far as 'good' Dundee managers, he's got to go in there.

The rest? Meh. Bonetti and Duffy were horrendous considering the money they were given at certain points. Jocky's football whilst successful was absolutely turgid in his second spell and his money waste in his third was equally horrendous. 

Paul Hartley at one point looked to be heading towards being our most successful manager in my lifetime before he utterly fucked it in his final season.

Rae had us playing some of the best football I've watched at Dens, but he fell out with half the squad and left us up shit creek in his final season leading us to turn to Jocky again.

So to sum up, the best manager we've had in my lifetime is a manager that has failed at Brechin, Raith, Aldershot & East Fife and probably won't get another top job in professional football again. Slim pickings doesn't cover it.

I agree with Donald McKay. I’d forgotten about him. The season where we built the new stands and had to endure some games at Tannadump was a good one. Jocky snapped up Steven Boyack who was a revelation. The team definitely exceeded expectations, was organised, played to their strengths.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I wouldn't. He's a horrendous football player.

I think he's more than capable at championship level and...

6 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

No. He’s a good runner, but he’s not a footballer.

... think he would help inject more pace and urgency into the squad. He would be the perfect partner for Kane imo. 

Wouldn't hurt to have an extra option up front as it's thread bare as is.

Edited by Crawford

Just now, Crawford said:

I think he's more than capable at championship level and...

... think he would help inject more pace and urgency into the squad. He would be the perfect partner for Kane imo. 

Wouldn't hurt to have an extra option up front as it's thread bare as is.

Andrew Nelson is better at football and more energetic IMO. I'd honestly rather give a youth a chance than waste money on Murray.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Andrew Nelson is better at football and more energetic IMO. I'd honestly rather give a youth a chance than waste money on Murray.

I'm all for giving youth a chance. If you're ready you're ready regardless of age. I'd be lying if I said I knew much about our youth setup just now. Kind of lost interest when Henvey was busting a gut and getting overlooked.

Do we have anyone "ready"?

25 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Agree, would chuck in Donald Mackay as well.

Sweet  dreams. CM.

If my memory serves me correctly from being a young lad when Donald Mackay was manager we began the season very poorly in the old First Division, being second bottom after about 5 games. Then Frank Upton arrived as assistant manager, apparently a real old school disciplinarian coach. Suddenly a quite substantial unbeaten run commenced which I think only ended at the League Cup Final. Promotion ultimately secured as runners up though. 

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

I agree with Donald McKay. I’d forgotten about him. The season where we built the new stands and had to endure some games at Tannadump was a good one. Jocky snapped up Steven Boyack who was a revelation. The team definitely exceeded expectations, was organised, played to their strengths.

Agreed, great signing Steven Boyack was by our Jocky.

Plus the fact, where do you currently find signings of that era with the calibre of Brian Irvine for free?  (Think he was signed by Cowboy though)

Happier days!

PS, Simon Murray should be secured, ASAP

13 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I'm all for giving youth a chance. If you're ready you're ready regardless of age. I'd be lying if I said I knew much about our youth setup just now. Kind of lost interest when Henvey was busting a gut and getting overlooked.

Don't think there is, but not clued up on our youth teams as of late.

Agreed, great signing Steven Boyack was by our Jocky.
Plus the fact, where do you currently find signings of that era with the calibre of Brian Irvine for free?  (Think he was signed by Cowboy though)
Happier days!
PS, Simon Murray should be secured, ASAP

It’s not easy to find them - maybe Berra will prove to be a similar steadying influence. Irvine was living in a caravan in Carnoustie!

I’d definitely take Murray. Nelson, for whatever reason, has proved to be a disappointment so far. I was getting hammered at the rugby on Saturday but I noticed he got booked when he came on as a subby. He’s been booked, or at least could have/ should have been, in every game I’ve seen him play in. He’s injury prone and has a dodgy temperament. Come home again Simon.

27 minutes ago, Crawford said:

Michael Cunningham is our top striker prospect, loaned him out to Cumbernauld Colts in the Lowland League. I know he netted twice in his debut for them. Think the lad Adam Mansouri is coming along but still playing in the Under 18s.

Michael Cunningham is our top striker prospect, loaned him out to Cumbernauld Colts in the Lowland League. I know he netted twice in his debut for them. Think the lad Adam Mansouri is coming along but still playing in the Under 18s.

Is he/was he better than either Henvey or Scott ?

We have enough 'footballers' at the club who can't actually play football. If we add Murray (again) then that's it for me personally. 

The sport is gradually getting worse and worse whilst prices rise. Handing people like that quite lucrative contracts when they haven't even mastered the basics of the game is absolutely embarrassing.