All things Dundee FC

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Not having a go - but I can't remember a single one of our managers who have come across well during media interviews except Neil McCann.

Don't think it's a massive thing. It's not as if Mourinho comes across well these days.

Kinda agree on sentence 1, Bonetti was at least interesting, Duffy was well spoken, Scott was passionate, Hartley wasn't too bad, McCann could talk well, but it was all utter drivel. McPake sounds like he is on a sex line, the deep breathing and constant pauses is just awful.

However, I think its a massive issue with losers, or rather when losing games. If you're a winner, or on winning runs, you can be an absolute bass, and no one cares, however when you lose, people pick up on everything. Several people  have said above that they wont be buying a season ticket if he remains, results are key, but him looking like a statue on the sideline, then repeating the same 4 or 5 sentences during interviews means there is a disconnect between him and the fans. He just isn't likeable as a person, you just cant connect with him at all.

Edited to add, Mourinho has always been a bit of a huffy bairn, but he fights his ground, he challenges reporters, and always gives an opinion, like him or loathe him, he embodies passion and commitment, McPake looks comatose.

Edited by srw

4 hours ago, srw said:

I very much doubt there’s anything that McPake can do, to make me think he deserves next season. If, and it’s a monumental if, he can get a good run between now and the end of the season, including far fewer idiotic subs, iffy lineups and baffling tactics, then I’d maybe reconsider, but it’s unlikely. He, or possibly the club needs to send him on media training, he comes across absolutely abysmally, and like it or not, image is incredibly important. 

I think some people have hugely over reacted to a single victory, over a frankly terrible team. 

This.

While it’s great to see any form of positivity amongst the support, it’s difficult to understand how anyone can see any real progress after one half decent result against an abysmal Thistle at home.

We have been dreadful all season long and McPake still needs emptied at the first opportunity IMO. 

I think the positive response to the game was not soley because of the three points. 

We defended PERFECTLY all game. There was not a moment I shat it when thistle came forward. Everyone knew what they were doing and looked comfortable.

Moving forward we had pace. Something that has been lacking all season. The odd slack pass but good, positive movement that was happening faster than glacial melting.

It also wasn't a good 15 minute spell or good half. We looked consistent throughout the game. I really do genuinely see improvement and can't wait to the 29th to go again.

20 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I think the positive response to the game was not soley because of the three points. 

We defended PERFECTLY all game. There was not a moment I shat it when thistle came forward. Everyone knew what they were doing and looked comfortable.

Moving forward we had pace. Something that has been lacking all season. The odd slack pass but good, positive movement that was happening faster than glacial melting.

It also wasn't a good 15 minute spell or good half. We looked consistent throughout the game. I really do genuinely see improvement and can't wait to the 29th to go again.

Thistle’s front line were unbelievably slow and laboured.  I will reserve judgement until I see Forster, Berra and Meekings up against a pacey attack.

2 hours ago, Yenitit said:

1. Stainrod and Duffy somehow wormed his way into his job

2. Jocky, say no more. Apparently an exceptional coach. 

GGH was asked who the best manager of his career was the other month and he singled out Jocky.

His tale was when he first joined after a month or so, he went up to Jocky and asked him if he should track back more to help Eddie Malone out. Apparently Jocky just told GGH to f**k off as that's Eddie's job.

If, by some miracle, we do stumble into the (promotion) playoffs and if, in the realms of flying pigs, blue snow and frozen hell, we do win and get promoted, what do we do then? 

It would seem bizarre from outside to sack the manager that won promotion, but it does appear that we are in the playoff hunt despite McPake, rather than because of him. I always want us to win and do as well as possible, but  just can't see us in the top flight managed by McPake doing anything other than a "bottom of the league all season", "relegated by the winter break", "all-time low points tally for the top flight" kind of omnishambles.

Not really sure what we would do, but it definitely won't happen, so let's get back to hoping we can scrape a win against QOS...

2 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

If, by some miracle, we do stumble into the (promotion) playoffs

Christ.

I wouldn't necessarily be against doing a Livingston and replacing the manager after playoff success, but for now I'll try and give McPake the support I would give any manager.

I definitely fall into the glass half full camp and look for the positive in all games but I think some of us are getting a bit carried away after Saturday. I was pleased with the first half showing but was really disappointed in the second. It was a great opportunity to bang in a few goals against quite frankly the worst Patrick Thistle team I've ever seen but apart from a few wee flurries it was a non event.

I agree we looked really comfortable defensively but as others have said the Jags were slow as death up front. Trying to keep positive though I hope this is a stepping stone on a wee run of unbeaten games

14 hours ago, srw said:

I very much doubt there’s anything that McPake can do, to make me think he deserves next season. If, and it’s a monumental if, he can get a good run between now and the end of the season, including far fewer idiotic subs, iffy lineups and baffling tactics, then I’d maybe reconsider, but it’s unlikely. He, or possibly the club needs to send him on media training, he comes across absolutely abysmally, and like it or not, image is incredibly important. 

I think some people have hugely over reacted to a single victory, over a frankly terrible team. 

Robbie Neilson is the most boring man on the planet and he's running away with the league. 

I very much doubt there’s anything that McPake can do, to make me think he deserves next season. If, and it’s a monumental if, he can get a good run between now and the end of the season, including far fewer idiotic subs, iffy lineups and baffling tactics, then I’d maybe reconsider, but it’s unlikely. He, or possibly the club needs to send him on media training, he comes across absolutely abysmally, and like it or not, image is incredibly important.  I think some people have hugely over reacted to a single victory, over a frankly terrible team. 

Agree with all of this apart from the last 2 words. I still don’t think we have a bad team, in fact I think our starting 11 is almost where it needs to be. The problem is we have absolutely no depth, with only 1 player for several positions. The coaching is definitely the problem. A decent coach with a decent team behind him would have us comfortably 2nd and much closer to United.

McPake isn’t the only problem. The backroom staff needs gutted. People like Bobby Geddes for example also desperately need their positions reviewed. Our goalkeepers have underperformed for years now, making the same basic mistakes week after week without any improvement.

7 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Agree with all of this apart from the last 2 words. I still don’t think we have a bad team, in fact I think our starting 11 is almost where it needs to be. The problem is we have absolutely no depth, with only 1 player for several positions. The coaching is definitely the problem. A decent coach with a decent team behind him would have us comfortably 2nd and much closer to United.

McPake isn’t the only problem. The backroom staff needs gutted. People like Bobby Geddes for example also desperately need their positions reviewed. Our goalkeepers have underperformed for years now, making the same basic mistakes week after week without any improvement.

The last two words are about Ayr, not us.

15 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Robbie Neilson is the most boring man on the planet and he's running away with the league. 

Imagine being trapped in a lift with Neilson and McPake for 6 or 7 hours?

Living shitemare. IMO.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again