All things Dundee FC

7 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I think it’s quite funny. Along with United we’re their big rivals. It’s not reciprocated in any way which makes it amusing.

Aye but Biggie and Spuddie posted on their thread. Boca/River levels there imo 😂

Edited by Day of the Lords

In terms of actual naturally formed small rivalries, I'd say that Hamilton Accies are more relevant to the Dundee support than St Johnstone are. St Johnstone are just such a boring, inoffensive club.

In terms of actual naturally formed small rivalries, I'd say that Hamilton Accies are more relevant to the Dundee support than St Johnstone are. St Johnstone are just such a boring, inoffensive club.

I remember being astonished when I found out that St.Johnstone v Dundee was regarded as a derby and the extent to which their fans see Dundee as their main rivalry.

I actually don’t mind St. Johnstone [emoji23]

Hemmngs saying he has been suffering personal issues the past few weeks and has made an effort to publicly thank McPake for helping him through it. Think it's madness that he has 9 goals in 22 league appearances this season with the service we've given him.

IF (And it's an absolutely massive if - I think it's a doubtful if at best.) we have turned a corner creatively - he'll be breaching the 20 mark by the end of the season. Shankland will get the plaudits but for Hemmings to be scoring at the rate he has when we were averaging 0 shots on target for about 6 weeks is some going.

ETA: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1132066/dundee-goal-hero-kane-hemmings-issues-public-thank-you-to-boss-james-mcpake-for-helping-him-through-tough-time/

Edited by Ludo*1

1 win against Partick and the "Dundee are coming 2nd, NAP" articles are popping up once again. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're heading into a good spell, but those type of articles full me with dread.

Aside from United, there's no team I want to face less than QoS. If we finally break this hoodoo and finally beat them in 2 weeks, then I'll maybe start believing the hype. Not just yet though, there's a mountain of work still to be done.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

What would it require for you to be happy to keep McPake going into next season? Would 2nd be enough considering how awful it's been to this point?

Absolute minimum for me is making the playoffs, plus winning at least one of the rounds. Not asking for much because seeing anything more as a bonus keeps me cautiously optimistic, as well as the fact that I genuinely believe McPake would be an improved manager in his 2nd season.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Absolute minimum for me is making the playoffs, plus winning at least one of the rounds. Not asking for much because seeing anything more as a bonus keeps me cautiously optimistic, as well as the fact that I genuinely believe McPake would be an improved manager in his 2nd season.

I don't disagree. If he showed any sign of promise I reckon it'd be much more beneficial to give the manager more time to build a squad rather than just an individual season.

The other side to that is that for the first 8 month of his managerial career, McPake hasn't shown any managerial promise and for some, the damage may already be done and he'll hinder season ticket sales.

2nd is the requirement for me - not too fussed about number of rounds he passes in the play-offs.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What would it require for you to be happy to keep McPake going into next season? Would 2nd be enough considering how awful it's been to this point?

This isn’t going to be popular but for me McPake shows no signs of improving.  From what I’ve seen he appears to lack passion, tactical awareness and motivational skills.

If we finish in the play off spots it will have more to do with the utter dross in this league and our apparent significantly higher budget.  

One or two fellow fans I’ve spoken to are getting a bit carried away with the win on  Saturday against perhaps the worse team I’ve seen at Dens in a long time.

I’ve yet to really enjoy a league games at Dens this season, so if it’s more of the same stuff on offer next season I doubt I would be renewing my season ticket.

Edited by Shadow Play

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

This isn’t going to be popular but for me McPake shows no signs of improving.  From what I’ve seen he appears to lack passion, tactical awareness and motivational skills.

If we finish in the play off spots it will have more to do with the utter dross in this league and our apparent significantly higher budget.  

One or two fellow fans I’ve spoken to are getting a bit carried away with the win on  Saturday against perhaps the worse team I’ve seen at Dens in a long time.

I’ve yet to really enjoy a league games at Dens this season, so if it’s more of the same stuff on offer next season I doubt I would be renewing my season ticket.

Fully expect some (Possibly a sizeable amount) will feel this way. 

16 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

At the start of the season anything less than 3rd for me was unacceptable. 

The signings we had at the start and the squad was a league winning team under the correct manager.

McPake in my opinion made progress with formation and then binned it all in the window.

We did seem better on Saturday in terms of passing. PACE, we actually had pace for the first time this season. Again though against arguably the worst team in the league.

I'm optimistic though. We are within touching distance of second.

Once we are safe I think McPakes tenure should be discussed asap to allow either him or his replacement the maximum amount of time to sort the team out. Until then, McPake.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Would people be happy to keep him as manager if we came 4th but won the playoffs? That's my question.

I’ll dive in and say no. Zero confidence in him and his ability to keep us in  the top flight if by chance your scenario happened. 

What I will say in his defence is that were sound defensively on Saturday and it gives us something to build on. Callachan’s injury will probably force his hand into actually playing Nelson as a striker alongside Hemmings with Gowser dropping deeper and playing where Callaghan was. We’ve now gone full circle in his formation roulette and back to 3-5-2 😂 still gelling tho!

3 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

I totally agree with this. We beat an utterly atrocious Partick side 2-0 at home. The fact that we're still in for a decent shout at the play-offs despite being so awful for much of the season is more about how shite the rest of the league is. We're almost two-thirds of the way through the season with almost certainly the 2nd biggest playing budget in the Division and we're hanging onto 4th with a goal difference of -2. For the resources McPake has been given, that's absolutely risible.

Even if we get through the other championship sides in the play-offs, a motivated Hamilton, Ross County or even Hearts would absolutely rinse us. If Hearts come down automatically they'll be massive favourites to go straight back up, meaning another season at least for us in the second tier and doubtless bleeding cash. Can you see Hearts punting their manager in the event of relegation and tasking a guy with zero experience to get them back up? 

Barring some mental run of wins, I'd empty him as soon as we're safe from the drop/relegation play off IF we can get someone competent in.