All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Feel like it's the first time in ages we've tempted a player past Dundee, tbh.

Cammy Kerr and Kane Hemmings instantly spring to mind, although both have a connection with your club, tbf.

Paul McGowan as well.

I’ve got a wee inkling we are going down [emoji45]

Lose on Saturday and we’re in big trouble. Looking at our next few fixtures though:

Morton (a)
Partick (h)
Queens (a)
Arbroath (h)
Alloa (h)

We really should be looking to take maximum points from these.Anything less than 11/15 and we’re in a bit of trouble.

Jesus, place this thread on suicide watch why don't you. I have faith we will get back to some semblance if order in the coming weeks. If you don't, fair enough, but some of these overreactions are ludicrous.

What are you basing this “faith” on? Because nothing I’ve seen this season suggests anything other than this season going one way. Pretty sure it was yourself who posted the form table of the last 10 games which places us at the bottom of the league. For what it’s worth I don’t think we’ll be relegated, however I don’t think we’ll finish in a playoff spot which is totally inexcusable for a team with a budget we have.

As bad as McPake might be, I cannot see us not finishing in the play-off spots, nevermind getting relegated which is just a crazy shout. Over the past 10 games, we have been the worst team in the league - yet are still in the play-offs. We'll stutter our way to the rest of the season and fan discontent won't go away and we'll get a few hidings, but we'll end up in the play-offs. And get papped out of them to end a sorry, miserable season.

41 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

What are you basing this “faith” on? Because nothing I’ve seen this season suggests anything other than this season going one way. Pretty sure it was yourself who posted the form table of the last 10 games which places us at the bottom of the league. For what it’s worth I don’t think we’ll be relegated, however I don’t think we’ll finish in a playoff spot which is totally inexcusable for a team with a budget we have.

I'm not pretending things aren't shit, because they evidently are. But I believe that with new players there will be a fresh optimism in the side, and as our schedule becomes somewhat lighter over the next month, I can see us picking up form once again. If I didn't believe, why should I care?

Also for the record my monthly theory continues to hold strong:

Aug - mostly good

Sept - mostly shit

Oct - mostly good

Nov - mostly shit

Dec - mostly good

Jan - completely shit

Feb - mostly good??

I'm not pretending things aren't shit, because they evidently are. But I believe that with new players there will be a fresh optimism in the side, and as our schedule becomes somewhat lighter over the next month, I can see us picking up form once again. If I didn't believe, why should I care?
Also for the record my monthly theory continues to hold strong:
Aug - mostly good
Sept - mostly shit
Oct - mostly good
Nov - mostly shit
Dec - mostly good
Jan - completely shit
Feb - mostly good??

Usually I’d share your optimism, I’ve been labelled a happy clapper many a time but even I don’t see where any sort of improvement is coming from. The goals have dried up (not scored since the derby) not that they were flying in anyway and we’re barely creating chances anymore. As soon as Dunfermline scored on Friday it was game over, it’s the exact same abject performances we were seeing last season.

I really want it to work out for McPake, and as much as I berate him for it at times, I actually admire how much patience Nelms has with managers. McPake realistically should have been punted a month or two or so ago, but he wasn’t. If we finish in the playoff places then I couldn’t really argue with him being given another chance next season. Anything out with the playoffs? It’s difficult to see him staying.

McPake says we are close to signing a couple of players.  Says of Simon Silverholt that nothing is imminent, and we've not seen enough of him yet but we are still keeping an eye on him. We looked at him in the summer, and since his season has finished we've been able to bring him over for a trial.

Regarding DannyJohnson - McPake says he got the phone call on Friday and it was a huge offer for Danny so he asked him the question. Said he was extremely professional playing for us on Friday. After a few days it suited both parties. He gets asked if there was a fee involved and reiterates just that, 'It was best for all parties'.

We are in the hunt for the striker, but we won't just panic and sign someone. Labours on about the usual 'process'.

Starts speaking about Morton being very hard to break down so that's what we're working on.

Asked about Berra and Fraser Murray - Says nothing happening 'right now'. Knows them both very well and rates them both.

Andy Nelson is back running, but has to get a pin out of his hand next Tuesday so he's out for the game against Morton. Jamie Ness - shock horror - isn't fit for this weekend.

59 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Usually I’d share your optimism, I’ve been labelled a happy clapper many a time but even I don’t see where any sort of improvement is coming from. The goals have dried up (not scored since the derby) not that they were flying in anyway and we’re barely creating chances anymore. As soon as Dunfermline scored on Friday it was game over, it’s the exact same abject performances we were seeing last season.

I really want it to work out for McPake, and as much as I berate him for it at times, I actually admire how much patience Nelms has with managers. McPake realistically should have been punted a month or two or so ago, but he wasn’t. If we finish in the playoff places then I couldn’t really argue with him being given another chance next season. Anything out with the playoffs? It’s difficult to see him staying.

I don't see how 'being quietly content at making the playoffs in any case' is happy clapping for us tbh. I'm more than aware of how shit this season has been, but the way I see it things seem to turn on a dime in this league, and we've already gone through a similarly miserable stint in November, couldn't buy a shot on target nevermind a goal, and not much at all to be optimistic. We fired up in the Dunfermline game at Dens, played solidly away to Partick and were unlucky to get a win across the road. Then all of a sudden we're shite again. Whether people want it or not (and I am officially on the record on not being too keen on it myself), we're being forced into some kind of stability with the full backing of a manager and that's not changing. Others can do what they want, but I'm not giving up yet.

Of course he's staying.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

36 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Agree with the above highlighted comments.  We all love our club, that's not in any doubt. However this season following on from the previous few has been an absolute ongoing embarrassment with no apparent light at the end of the tunnel. This is not being negative, merely being realistic.

I for one would be delighted to see a 35 year old Gary Harkins return to Dens just to witness a progressive midfielder who can actually control, influence and play the game.

To think I was hoping Charlie Adam would have been approached last summer. How stupid was I, anyone at Dens with an opinion not entirely welcome apparently.

Best regards     

Edited by This Charming Man

I’ve got a wee inkling we are going down [emoji45]

You could also say -

Hazard - a marked improvement on that useless cúnt.

Dorrans - has ability, is fit - sooner or later it will click system wise and we will a cracking player tied up for a reasonable time.

Callaghan - energetic, a bit phycho, something we have been needing.

Crankshaw - so far so good.

Johnson - scores pens and not much more.

Trying to be optimistic........
I'm guessing you lasted being optimistic 1 day ?

Was me for the form table.

I do like my facts n stats.

No ifs and buts here

McPake says we are close to signing a couple of players.  Says of Simon Silverholt that nothing is imminent, and we've not seen enough of him yet but we are still keeping an eye on him. We looked at him in the summer, and since his season has finished we've been able to bring him over for a trial.
Regarding DannyJohnson - McPake says he got the phone call on Friday and it was a huge offer for Danny so he asked him the question. Said he was extremely professional playing for us on Friday. After a few days it suited both parties. He gets asked if there was a fee involved and reiterates just that, 'It was best for all parties'.
We are in the hunt for the striker, but we won't just panic and sign someone. Labours on about the usual 'process'.
Starts speaking about Morton being very hard to break down so that's what we're working on.
Asked about Berra and Fraser Murray - Says nothing happening 'right now'. Knows them both very well and rates them both.
Andy Nelson is back running, but has to get a pin out of his hand next Tuesday so he's out for the game against Morton. Jamie Ness - shock horror - isn't fit for this weekend.

Did Murray not come on for Hibs last night?

Not in a hurray to sign a striker? For f**k sake - we have 1 half decent striker and another who is a perm a crock. 1 striker alone hasn’t worked all season. What sort of fucking moron is this guy.

Ross Wallace is a big no from me too. Old and fucked.

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Did Murray not come on for Hibs last night?

Not in a hurray to sign a striker? For f**k sake - we have 1 half decent striker and another who is a perm a crock. 1 striker alone hasn’t worked all season. What sort of fucking moron is this guy.

Ross Wallace is a big no from me too. Old and fucked.

You think McPake should just make a panic signing to make up the numbers then? 

We had enough of that nonsense last January and it got us absolutely nowhere.

12 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

I for one would be delighted to see a 35 year old Gary Harkins return to Dens just to witness a progressive midfielder who can actually control, influence and play the game.

I'm still in love with GGH, but sadly he's just not that player anymore. At the end of last season he was so immobile he was playing in front of the back 4 as a holding player, then earlier this season Partick were using him up front as a target man. The ball still sticks to his magic feet, but he can't move at all, so those pretty passes and mazey runs are a thing of history.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I'm still in love with GGH, but sadly he's just not that player anymore. At the end of last season he was so immobile he was playing in front of the back 4 as a holding player, then earlier this season Partick were using him up front as a target man. The ball still sticks to his magic feet, but he can't move at all, so those pretty passes and mazey runs are a thing of history.

No. You don’t let your only other fit, grown up striker leave until you have a replacement. That’s moronic. I don’t mind seeing Johnson go, but to not have someone lined up? Who do we play up front if Hemmings is suspended or injured given Nelson is likely to be one or the other too? After this weekend who can we sign - someone who has been totally punted - now that is a gamble.

6 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

No. You don’t let your only other fit, grown up striker leave until you have a replacement. That’s moronic. I don’t mind seeing Johnson go, but to not have someone lined up? Who do we play up front if Hemmings is suspended or injured given Nelson is likely to be one or the other too? After this weekend who can we sign - someone who has been totally punted - now that is a gamble.

He was going either way, wasn't happy being no. 2. Think it'll be positive for the morale of the dressing room to not have a moaning git out of there. There clearly wasn't a good chemistry in the team around Johnson, as even when we were doing well he seemed on the periphery. McPake is looking for a combination to compliment Hemmings and get the ball up to him quicker. I think we will benefit from this change in approach personally, but it of course remains to be seen.

As for Jeebsy I'll say it again, if he signs for the minimum amount I'll happily have him in again as an impact subbie at most, but his days of carrying sides are well over.