All things Dundee FC

Alright my wee Dee pals? Just popped in to say well done on the signing of the blue eyed baller that is Ross Callachan. He should be fine for the diddy leagues

He’ll slot perfectly back into your team next season then. That’s probably why it’s just a loan as you guys will be wanting him back.

We've got more of where that came from if you want?
Opens up a lovely space in our squad for a signing that could help us stave off relegation. Even when Dundee are out the league they help us stay up 🥰
Heres hoping McPake doesnt shove him in straight away, btw, as hes played a total of 66 minutes in the league this season, and 45 of those came on the opening day of the season...

Can’t say I know much about him. In all seriousness, what type of midfielder is he?

He’ll slot perfectly back into your team next season then. That’s probably why it’s just a loan as you guys will be wanting him back.

I mean the awful attempt at bait would work if he wasn’t out of contract next season....

Anyway he’s what you’d call an all rounder. Except he’s not really good at anything, just average. Poor range of passing and on occasion a touch like a bag of cement. However is energetic, likes to go box to box and generally isn’t afraid to shoot and will grab goals. However his positional play is woeful, he’ll leave big gaps to exploit and usually ends up sliding in to make ammends. Half the time he wins it, half the time he’s booked.

10 hours ago, Fifespud said:

We’re the masters of signing players who appear to be a bit meh at everything. I honestly think it’s shitey managers though. No matter who he’s playing with, a system must surely be found to ensure Dorrans is a stand out in this league. It’s not as if he’s totally fucked, he’s got stamina and more pace than say Gowser. It’s an enigma.

When are we going to stumble upon a Stephen Robinson type? I say stumble because there’s zero chance of Nelms applying any skill to the selection process.

Aye but you’re assuming a ‘Robinson’ type actually applies in the first place.

I mean the awful attempt at bait would work if he wasn’t out of contract next season....

Anyway he’s what you’d call an all rounder. Except he’s not really good at anything, just average. Poor range of passing and on occasion a touch like a bag of cement. However is energetic, likes to go box to box and generally isn’t afraid to shoot and will grab goals. However his positional play is woeful, he’ll leave big gaps to exploit and usually ends up sliding in to make ammends. Half the time he wins it, half the time he’s booked.

We’ve not really had an energetic midfielder since O’Hara left and we do miss that type of player as our midfield always seems very static. I’ll give him a chance.

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Can’t say I know much about him. In all seriousness, what type of midfielder is he?

*shrugs* 

Who knows. He had his best game that I saw away to you lot at New Year time, when he was given the freedom to get forward from midfield and beyond the striker. Problem is he tries to do that every single time, so is prone to finding himself well out of position, he then responds to that by desperately lunging into things to try and recover the situation. Some fans love that sort of "passion" but realistically it's going to cost you. His first touch is weird, can barely control the ball sometimes and again, lunges in to try and save himself.

Wouldnt say hes box to box as he doesnt help much defensively, hes not a playmaker as he cant pass the ball, and hes not an attacking midfielder beyond the fact he gets in the box often. Hard to define.

He might be fine, dont know what quality the Championship is this season, but you'll need at least one midfielder capable of covering for him when he starts charging about.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I'm not a fan of Callachan to be honest. We're a team that relies on our shape and discipline and he's a bit of a headless chicken who can't hold his posiiton. He's not a great passer, not a particularly great tackler (he commits himself too often, loses the challenge and we're caught short at the back as a result), doesn't track runners and for an attacking midfielder, never really looked like scoring for us. His one goal came very early in his time with us.

If you're playing a midfield 3 and have 2 players willing to do the dirty work then he may have his uses. He'll enjoy pressing opposition defenders and will create a bit of chaos at the back for them  if he's played far enough forward. I'm sure if he'll score a few goals as well and actually might create some space for Hemmings to do what he's good at.

I've been quite open in that I want him to leave Saints. He's not up to Premiership standard I don't think and as RandomGuy has said before he's not even been sighted in a first team squad for months. We're as well using his wages on another player and he's better off playing at a level where he'll likely be good enough to make a bit of an impact. Looking at your other midfield options, he could have his work cut out getting in if everyone is fit.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'm not a fan of Callachan to be honest. We're a team that relies on our shape and discipline and he's a bit of a headless chicken who can't hold his posiiton. He's not a great passer, not a particularly great tackler (he commits himself too often, loses the challenge and we're caught short at the back as a result), doesn't track runners and for an attacking midfielder, never really looked like scoring for us. His one goal came very early in his time with us.

If you're playing a midfield 3 and have 2 players willing to do the dirty work then he may have his uses. He'll enjoy pressing opposition defenders and will create a bit of chaos at the back for them  if he's played far enough forward. I'm sure if he'll score a few goals as well and actually might create some space for Hemmings to do what he's good at.

I've been quite open in that I want him to leave Saints. He's not up to Premiership standard I don't think and as RandomGuy has said before he's not even been sighted in a first team squad for months. We're as well using his wages on another player and he's better off playing at a level where he'll likely be good enough to make a bit of an impact. Looking at your other midfield options, he could have his work cut out getting in if everyone is fit.

Dundee don't have a shape to hold under McPake so at least that won't be a problem, everyone just does their own thing anyway. Callachan will fit right in.

The biggest head scratcher about this signing is a central midfielder is the very bottom of our list of priorities,infact it’s that low it probably shouldn’t even be on a list. Regarding Callachan I think he’s generally had decent performances in the games he’s played against us and think he’s scored in a couple. Admittedly I’ve not saw him that often but I’ll make my own decisions rather than hyperbole from fans of another team. The comparison with Curran is very unfair. He was pish and we all knew that from watching him against us for Ross County. 

When is the penny going to drop for our manager that we desperately need a new keeper and at least 1 centrehalf and 1 wide midfielder. 

The biggest head scratcher about this signing is a central midfielder is the very bottom of our list of priorities,infact it’s that low it probably shouldn’t even be on a list. Regarding Callachan I think he’s generally had decent performances in the games he’s played against us and think he’s scored in a couple. Admittedly I’ve not saw him that often but I’ll make my own decisions rather than hyperbole from fans of another team. The comparison with Curran is very unfair. He was pish and we all knew that from watching him against us for Ross County. 

When is the penny going to drop for our manager that we desperately need a new keeper and at least 1 centrehalf and 1 wide midfielder. 
Would you like to loan Vihmann and Swanson?

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just shouts to me that Dorrans is offski, that is why I'm so fearful.

I wouldn't be so worried. Yes, he's clearly a step above but he's not contributed a great deal so far and I think the team would benefit more from a hard working, box to box'er with McGowan (Or Ness if he's ever fit) doing the Dorrans role. 100% step down from a player like Dorrans, granted, but I don't think he'll be as big a loss as a decent winger or CH would be a gain, if that makes sense? 

If this CH is any good, it's not the worst deal in the world. 

The biggest disappointment out of all this is that Callachan seems a bit pish based on fans of former clubs. (But even then I'm hopeful he'll add energy?)

Coming off very happy Clapper-esque so to counterbalance it, the main reason I'm not bothered Dorrans is leaving is because I don't think it'll have an impact either way. We will still more than likely finish in the play-off spots and we will still more than likely be papped out whether Dorrans is here or not.

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

This is ?Screenshot_20200116-155629_Twitter.jpeg

Callachan by the looks of things.

Considerably more concerned after Googling this Ollie Leach though. By all accounts it looks like he has just turned 17. Don't really fancy a 17 year old to cure our defensive woes if I'm honest.