All things Dundee FC

Just now, RossDee01 said:

Yeah a winger and another centre half and probably a goalkeeper and we’re in good shape. It’s totally pointless while McPake is in charge though as it won’t make a difference. Like we’ve all said before though, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon so might as well just get on with it.

I'd like to know what kind of input the likes of Nicholl, McKay, Smith etc have, whether they're offering opinions and support and McPake is ignoring it or if they're not really helping out much at all. With all that experience to lean on, you'd think some of these basic errors in set-up, squad selection, subs etc would be much fewer and far between. 

12 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

This is where changing managers brings its own pitfalls. Any new manager may not necessarily want a large chunk of the squad he is inheriting, which would mean yet another chapter in the revolving doors saga. Seems to be every window we do this now and it prevents us from progressing, having to start from scratch every few months.

We never seemed to get in the habit each season of keeping what was effectively our starting 11 and letting go of the guys who weren’t getting as much game time. Instead we just kept getting rid of most of the players and started again each preseason. 

15 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Yeah a winger and another centre half and probably a goalkeeper and we’re in good shape. It’s totally pointless while McPake is in charge though as it won’t make a difference. Like we’ve all said before though, he’s not going anywhere anytime soon so might as well just get on with it.

That’s the 3 signings I’d be looking to make as well. I think we’ve got enough about us in all the other positions to get us through to the summer. 

17 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

McPake clearly isn’t the answer though so again it’s Nelms’ own fault. If he could pick a manager who is actually up to the job we wouldn’t keep finding ourselves in this position. This is his 4th manager since he’s been at the club and they’ve gotten gradually worse each time. I dread to think who the next one will be.

Hopefully the next time we get a new manager it’s the Technical Director’s decision. 

44 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I’m sure they do know individually what they’re meant to do. It’s difficult to play football at this level though when you don’t know where your teammates are or what they’re up to. We don’t play football as a team, nobody seems to know what anyone else on the park is doing.

Look at Liverpool (completely different level I get that). They win the ball back in their own half and 3 touches later they’re in on goal. That’s because every player in their team knows exactly what the other is going to do. When Robertson picks up the ball he’ll know straight away where his teammates will be so he could probably pick a pass without even lifting his head. We don’t even seem to know who’s coming short for a throw in ffs. It’s a total shambles. I really feel sorry for the players having to play in a team so poorly coached.

I agree with everything again apart from the short throw in comment. Every short throw or corner is for McGowan. 😂

1 hour ago, Yenitit said:

Hopefully the next time we get a new manager it’s the Technical Director’s decision. 

It's got to be better than Nelms admittedly, but considering his views on football, I'd be concerned by whom Strachan qualifies as a good manager.

He pretty much viewed the best coaching team in Scotland as Callum Davidson, Peter Grant and Mark McGhee.

Tony Doherty was his other assistant, I wonder if he'd be interested in becoming his own man?

Hibs about to bring in another keeper. I know he's been rubbish the past month or so, but I'd be all over Hibs trying to get Marciano in if that was even remotely possible. One of the best keepers in the league until erm, recently.

I can only go on how he’s been when I’ve saw him. Strong defensively and a threat going forward. He looks a bit cumbersome right enough. Him and Arran Dorrans have been the standouts for them imo. 

Rooney has been good for us, mainly going forward though which he’s excellent at as he’s a bit suspect defensively. He gets off with it against most teams in this league but would struggle if we (or you) went up. In the Hearts semi-final he was badly exposed by Jake Mulraney, who is a bang average winger who couldn’t get a game for us.

It’s Aaron Doran btw, who is a fantastic player.

36 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

No more ICT players please. Anyone we’ve taken from them has been utter shite

Aaron Doran on the wing would be like having Nicky Riley back but with a bit of an end product. Oft.

7 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Nick Ross was alright. Vincent was awful and the less said about Danny Williams the better.

Vincent's performance against ICT the season they went down was the closest I've ever witnessed to genuine match fixing. 

Utterly horrendous and had a complete dislike for him ever since.

I liked Nick Ross.

Josh Meekings for Shaun Rooney and Aaron Doran. Thank you.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Vincent's performance against ICT the season they went down was the closest I've ever witnessed to genuine match fixing. 

Utterly horrendous and had a complete dislike for him ever since.

I liked Nick Ross.

Josh Meekings for Shaun Rooney and Aaron Doran. Thank you.

Did he not get absolutely battered by them in a fixture previous? Or was that Ross?

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Sad to see Jamie Adams needing to retire. Was at the club at its most desperate hour, and got a memorable goal that properly set us off on the record-breaking streak.

Recall being disappointed we didn't secure him on a permanent deal back then.

Nasty injury saw him drop out the game for a few years, however bounced back at Ayr United after playing in the South of Scotland League for the enjoyment of it.

Also recall a newspaper article a few seasons back, he's apparently a full-time farmer in Ayrshire and played for Ayr very much on a part-time basis.

Decent sort by all accounts.

Best regards

Edited by This Charming Man