All things Dundee FC

Great post. Obviously things haven't went ou ureter so far this season with Mcpake at the helm, but we've entered our most consistent phase of the season so far with largely solid performances and are showing real improvement. Hopefully the majority of Dees can see this over their own lingering reservations about the team and a McPake, get behind them and give the team a proper boost with a good home crowd to kick off the new decade, in a game that could be hugely important in the long run. Let's get behind the lads and give them as big a boost as we can!

Open question to all...

Has the recent run of form and squad changes, changed anyones opinion on McPake?

Nope.

Ross mentioned however while he is here we best try get behind him. Certainly isnt easy and not so easy to forget his mistakes when 17 points off the top. This season at half way stage has been shocking , this recent run dosnt change that for me.

Plenty changes needed. Would still be happy to put him back with the youths and bring someone else in.

However let the board continually throw money away.

It’s still a no from me. We’ll see what areas of the team he strengthens in January. 

I’m not sure McPake tactically schooled anyone last night. The stupid lopsided diamond he played was a major factor in Yenited’s goal. We all know they try and stretch the game as much as possible with width in midfield yet we leave Kerr with no protection in front of him which ultimately led to the goal. Gowser never really got into a decent position to help out Kerr but still can’t legislate for Meekings tho. Saying that I thought Meekings and McGhee coped really well the rest of the game especially with the cross balls into the box. Hopefully Meekings can go on a run of injury free games now which will see him gain confidence in his body and his play. 

I think we should’ve just matched them up 4-4-2. Dorrans and Robertson are a far better pairing than Butcher and Harkes and would’ve ran the game anyway. A point is ok but Yenited were there for the taking and aren’t any great side. I think their manager’s positive tactics will gain them a lot of points just because he’s having a go at sides with lesser ability. Hopefully McPake develops that tactic with two wide attacking midfielders and 2 up top and really have a go at sides. If he goes undefeated in the next 3 he ain’t going anywhere. At least he didn’t do what he done at Partick last week and change his tactics from 2 up top to just the 1 and go from a very comfortable position to being under the cosh a bit. 

Edited to say Marshall was a massive loss to the side when he was out injured. He puts in some shift up and down the park and him missing coincided with our bad run of form. 

Edited by Yenitit

41 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Open question to all...

Has the recent run of form and squad changes, changed anyones opinion on McPake?

Yes. He seems to learn from mistakes. That being said if he fails to make any change to the goalkeeping situation he is done.

It’s still a no from me. We’ll see what areas of the team he strengthens in January. 

I’m not sure McPake tactically schooled anyone last night. The stupid lopsided diamond he played was a major factor in Yenited’s goal. We all know they try and stretch the game as much as possible with width in midfield yet we leave Kerr with no protection in front of him which ultimately led to the goal. Gowser never really got into a decent position to help out Kerr but still can’t legislate for Meekings tho. Saying that I thought Meekings and McGhee coped really well the rest of the game especially with the cross balls into the box. Hopefully Meekings can go on a run of injury free games now which will see him gain confidence in his body and his play. 

I think we should’ve just matched them up 4-4-2. Dorrans and Robertson are a far better pairing than Butcher and Harkes and would’ve ran the game anyway. A point is ok but Yenited were there for the taking and aren’t any great side. I think their manager’s positive tactics will gain them a lot of points just because he’s having a go at sides with lesser ability. Hopefully McPake develops that tactic with two wide attacking midfielders and 2 up top and really have a go at sides. If he goes undefeated in the next 3 he ain’t going anywhere. At least he didn’t do what he done at Partick last week and change his tactics from 2 up top to just the 1 and go from a very comfortable position to being under the cosh a bit. 

Edited to say Marshall was a massive loss to the side when he was out injured. He puts in some shift up and down the park and him missing coincided with our bad run of form. 

I disagree with the diamond not working. It was an individual error by Cammy Kerr which lead to the goal, absolutely nothing to do with the formation - McGowan who was playing as the right centre mid did his job. They had absolutely no not down the wings all night and resulted to aimless pints up the park to Shankland. Like him or hate him, McPake’s tactics were spot on last night.

Nope. 
Ross mentioned however while he is here we best try get behind him. Certainly isnt easy and not so easy to forget his mistakes when 17 points off the top. This season at half way stage has been shocking , this recent run dosnt change that for me.
Plenty changes needed. Would still be happy to put him back with the youths and bring someone else in.

However let the board continually throw money away.

If he continues to show progress which I think he has in the last couple of weeks, and can take us on a run which leads us into 2nd I’ll give him time. If he resorts back to Forster etc then he clearly isn’t learning. However, as it is, it’s seems as though he is.

I disagree with the diamond not working. It was an individual error by Cammy Kerr which lead to the goal, absolutely nothing to do with the formation - McGowan who was playing as the right centre mid did his job. They had absolutely no not down the wings all night and resulted to aimless pints up the park to Shankland. Like him or hate him, McPake’s tactics were spot on last night.

No they weren't. Unless you think we were going for a draw? Many saves did their keeper make ? Forget what they did ( our defense did well ) but overall we didnt create huge amount. Didnt test the keeper , later on in the game we certainly did better but overall draw was fair outcome.

Also was Meekings not just Kerr who made a c**t of it. Diving header like that is awful decending, however after that the back 4 did well.

Dont get me wrong happy we didnt get pumped but if your happy with a draw then it shows how far mcpake has taken us back. ( 17 points off the lead is shocking) .

Was a meh game but we needed that win last night.

Partick game get nearly cost us with his changes with 20 minutes to go according to fans ?

Just thankful partick are shite I guess

If he continues to show progress which I think he has in the last couple of weeks, and can take us on a run which leads us into 2nd I’ll give him time. If he resorts back to Forster etc then he clearly isn’t learning. However, as it is, it’s seems as though he is.
Crazy how a few weeks while 17 points behind first place shows people attitude towards the manager.
January will be fun , too see what money he be allowed to spend to get more players in.
A shambles season so far with the exception of a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Also was Meekings not just Kerr who made a c**t of it. 

I'm still convinced he's went to take a step forward and his footing has gone and he's just decided to throw anythi g he can at it to try and get in the way of it. 

Even if he went with his foot I'm unsure he's getting anywhere near it. Robson had an eternity to pick him out and pick Clark out he did. That's entirely down to the space afforded by Kerr. 

I'm still convinced he's went to take a step forward and his footing has gone and he's just decided to throw anythi g he can at it to try and get in the way of it. 
Even if he went with his foot I'm unsure he's getting anywhere near it. Robson had an eternity to pick him out and pick Clark out he did. That's entirely down to the space afforded by Kerr. 
Kerr I agree he was the main culprit. However Meekings was all over the place , wasnt ready for it and threw himself at it with a diving header.
Keeper with no chance ( however we still have the odd one who thinks he should of did better Hamilton).
Rest of game like already said back 4 were fine.
Bar McGowan small chance and Johnson mid air kick we didnt create an awful lot.
The goal from Dorrans was nice.

Marshall we have missed. Him and Mcghee on that side I like, the right side needs addressed

26 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Sorry, disagree. Kerr was left exposed with Robson and Appere to deal with at the goal because Gowser wasn’t back to offer protection. If he goes out to the ball it gets played in  behind him if he doesn’t well as you saw it leads to the goal. Kerr nullified Appere last night. We got a point inspite of the manager. I don’t think Yenited are any great shakes and were there for the taking last night but the manager shat it and didn’t go out, match them up and attack them. 2 points dropped for me. 

32 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Don’t take this the wrong way but were you at Partick last week or saw the game via DeeTv? If so you must be worried what he done tactically with 20 minutes to go. A game we were so far on top of until he intervened. 

If we don’t get up his performance so far is unforgivable. Hardly surprising an upturn in form has been since we went with 2 up top. We’ve got 3 pretty decent strikers so use them correctly and have a go at poor teams. 

5 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Sorry, disagree. Kerr was left exposed with Robson and Appere to deal with at the goal because Gowser wasn’t back to offer protection. If he goes out to the ball it gets played in  behind him if he doesn’t well as you saw it leads to the goal. Kerr nullified Appere last night.

If he follows the runner that leaves Aperre one option - cross it with his left foot from 20 odd yards out, near the touch line. If he tries to come inside he runs straight in to McGowan. How folk can blame McGowan for not tracking Robson is an absolute mystery to me. 

They want a player to make up an extra ten yards just to make Kerr's job easier as he's allowed Aperre to take the ball that far already. 

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

If he follows the runner that leaves Aperre one option - cross it with his left foot from 20 odd yards out, near the touch line. If he tries to come inside he runs straight in to McGowan. How folk can blame McGowan for not tracking Robson is an absolute mystery to me. 

They want a player to make up an extra ten yards just to make Kerr's job easier as he's allowed Aperre to take the ball that far already. 

Kerr held his position to wait on Gowser getting back therefore causing the problem. If he initially goes with the runner Appere would just drive into the space left behind. Gowser tried to track back, no one appears to be blaming him but his starting position because of the manager’s tactics has him nowhere near Appere or Robson leaving Kerr exposed. This is exactly the overload  Utd would’ve tried to achieve and they done it inside 5 minutes resulting in a goal. Imo Kerr does the right thing until Gowser gets back in, holding his position keeping the team fairly compact. 

Regardless of all that Meekings has to take responsibility for the goal. He has to go and meet the ball. Rule number 1 for a centrehalf in that position, don’t left the striker get across you. Basic, basic stuff and he was caught ball watching. In an otherwise good performance from Meekings he’ll know today he fucked up at their goal. 

Edited by Yenitit

Hemmings was fucking excellent, considering the service he got. Run himself into the ground and was getting us up the park when he had no right to. 
My opinion - McDaid plays, we lose that. Yes Mackie wasn't a star but he kept McMullan quiet but most importantly - put himself about. The twice McDaid has tried that = 2 penalties. Did not miss watching two step drag over resulting in a throw to United after he's shrugged off the ball. 

I agree Dele re Mackie. Not a star but he has a wee bit of skill and he’s hard - we don’t have much ‘hardness’ in our team.

17 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Kerr held his position to wait on Gowser getting back therefore causing the problem. If he initially goes with the runner Appere would just drive into the space left behind. Gowser tried to track back, no one appears to be blaming him but his starting position because of the manager’s tactics 

McGowan literally pointed and shouted at Kerr telling him to track the runner before the overload happened. He's exposed because he holds his position far too long. 

Edited by Dele

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

McGowan literally pointed and shouted at Kerr telling him to track the runner before the overload happened. He's exposed because he holds his position far too long. 

Yeah when he finally gets back which was too late. 

He points when Kerr has his back to him, is he talking to him at the same time? The guys on BT aren’t so sure. 

We’ll go around in circles here. At the end of the day Utd exposed our manager’s tactics inside 5 minutes. Overloads are what players and managers are looking for and they got the obvious 1 very early. 

11 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Yeah when he finally gets back which was too late. 

He points when Kerr has his back to him, is he talking to him at the same time? The guys on BT aren’t so sure. 

We’ll go around in circles here. 

It couldn't be too late considering McGowan is pointing before the overload happens. Can he hear him? I've no idea. He's been a professional long enough to know that as a full back you don't leave acres of space behind you so you track the runner. It's elementary stuff. 

Yup, we could.. so I'll just leave it there.