All things Dundee FC

He better not drop McGowan this time....We looked better in the 2nd half of the derby in August when him and Nelson were on.

Still conceded one more after they came on so the damage was done but McPake won't make any changes unless anyone has an injury. Seems unlikely but you never know

8 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

He better not drop McGowan this time....We looked better in the 2nd half of the derby in August when him and Nelson were on.

Still conceded one more after they came on so the damage was done but McPake won't make any changes unless anyone has an injury. Seems unlikely but you never know

Curious how Marshall's doing after coming off on Friday. Wonder how his hamstring is doing.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Said it in previous post but he won't change his team, and even though he shouldn't have to given we are on a 3 game winning run, I just can't stand the fact he keeps on picking Byrne.

Folk will no doubt reply to this, saying he has a "role" or job to do in the team. Bs. Footballers shouldn't be constricted to just having one singular role in the team, they're able to move about and contribute to the game, which Byrne just doesn't do.

His awareness is poor imo, even though he's tall he's not that strong, especially when he's on the ball, and even though he moves into free spaces alot in our own half he doesn't always want the ball all the time, like Spence when he was here.

My opinion of course, but he just saunters about the pitch at half pace, and doesn't seem to get properly involved at all.

Curios how Marshall's doing after coming off on Friday. Wonder how his hamstring is doing.
Totally forgot about that. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is fit enough. Having ptsd of Mackie defending at the back post for Morton's equaliser thinking about him starting on Friday.

Said it in previous post but he won't change his team, and even though he shouldn't have to given we are on a 3 game winning run, I just can't stand the fact he keeps on picking Byrne.

Folk will no doubt reply to this, saying he has a "role" or job to do in the team. Bs. Footballers shouldn't be constricted to just having one singular role in the team, they're able to move about and contribute to the game, which Byrne just doesn't do.

His awareness is poor imo, even though he's tall he's not that strong, especially when he's on the ball, and even though he moves into free spaces alot in our own half he doesn't always want the ball all the time, like Spence when he was here.

My opinion of course, but he just saunters about the pitch at half pace, and doesn't seem to get properly involved at all.
Waiting for him to end up scoring the winner as a result of me slagging him off now

1 minute ago, LM_0803 said:

Totally forgot about that. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is fit enough. Having ptsd of Mackie defending at the back post for Morton's equaliser thinking about him starting on Friday.

Tbf to the lad, aside from that one moment I thought he was quite impressive at LB against Morton. Plus it is (well it's past midnight so I guess it was) his birthday, so I'm letting him off just now. I hope he has the game of his career though if he plays on Friday, it's a crucial position to cover.

3 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:
4 minutes ago, LM_0803 said:

Waiting for him to end up scoring the winner as a result of me slagging him off now

Hope so, considering every time you slag him off he seems to have a better game.

Tbf to the lad, aside from that one moment I thought he was quite impressive at LB against Morton. Plus it is (well it's past midnight so I guess it was) his birthday, so I'm letting him off just now. I hope he has the game of his career though if he plays on Friday, it's a crucial position to cover.
Hope so aswell[emoji1696][emoji1696] happy he's moved cammy back in and put Mcghee at CB. Rarely see people commenting on McGhee but think he's been solid at the back so far.

Whether it's been noticeable due to the fact the other 2 CB's are crap, or just because he's good is yet to be seen[emoji23][emoji23]

Hopefully he doesn't get another terry butcher-esque head injury this time

I'm more concerned with what Byrne's doing when we don't have the ball than what he does with it. To that end, we're certainly a lot more solid since he's been asked to do the unglamorous stuff sitting as the deepest midfielder and letting Dorrans roam and Gowser chase. Sure, you could ask him to go galivanting up the park or take more risks with the ball, but there's no point. Dorrans is far better with the ball at his feet, and Gowser is the guy with the energy to press non-stop for 70 minutes, so why forego the added solidity when we already have players alongside Byrne who are better at those other things? 

Incidentally, McGhee was totally invisible against Morton the other night, while Forster was happy to charge into the Morton half with the ball at his feet. McGhee is still the better player of the two and just quietly got on with doing what was needed. The fact you hardly noticed him on the pitch is a pretty big indicator that he was doing his job, kinda like Byrne....

As for the talk about Roberston; I think he's talented, but I also think he's not quite ready to be playing first team football. For all the things he was doing right, there were usually a couple of instances in each match where he looked every bit a 16 year old laddie out of his depth. In fairness to him, he was usually being asked to play as part of a pair in midfield, and every player we used in that formation struggled to an extent. The way we've lined up in the last three games would probably suit him a bit more since when we lose the ball were collapsing into a 4-1-4-1/4-4-1-1 so he'd have more players around him and be less exposed. I still prefer Byrne in that role though right now because he isn't making the errors Roberston was, even if he's not as flashy or creative as Dorrans, nor as physically active as Gowser.

We're in for a dreadful time if Byrne drops out IMO.

He strolls games without people really noticing him. People were fixated on the wrong sub V Thistle, it was his departure which opened up the midfield rather than Gowser who was playing really well but in a much more advanced position and tired.

Nothing fancy but his positional sense is very good and he keeps things going. Maybe a bit redundant in games where we're really dominant but you want him on the pitch when we're up against it.

1 minute ago, Big Gus said:
16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:
McPake isn't part of the assault charge.

No the best...

Agreed, but he could have potentially been facing jail time with an assault case which would have had a direct impact on his ability to manage us.

Hope it's not true - but quite ridiculous that this is still rife in football management when it's the sport that more than any other needs to be fostering a more supportive environment.

23 minutes ago, Big Gus said:

Homophobic abuse been added to the assault charges at the Braes for both McPake and Irvine.

Nae the best

I reckon the dab has taken a dive after a slight brush of the head with Irvine and the manager has called him the word beginning with P in reference to him being soft and nothing else. Nothing to see here...

On the right, on the right, Gary Irvine!

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Agreed, but he could have potentially been facing jail time with an assault case which would have had a direct impact on his ability to manage us.

Hope it's not true - but quite ridiculous that this is still rife in football management when it's the sport that more than any other needs to be fostering a more supportive environment.

He wouldn't get the jail for a first offence common assault. The only way he'd get the jail is if he already had a dodgy criminal record or if the assault charge was GBH or ABH. If Irvine is found guilty he'll get a fine and/or community service or whatever it's called these days. They've both pled not guilty anyway so let's see what comes out in court. 

I reckon the dab has taken a dive after a slight brush of the head with Irvine and the manager has called him the word beginning with P in reference to him being soft and nothing else. Nothing to see here...

On the right, on the right, Gary Irvine!

United fan that was hit?

3 minutes ago, RogerBoli said:

United fan that was hit?

You'd assume so if reports are to believed that what kicked everything off was a group following McPake about singing that "Who is that lying on the Dens pitch, Who's that lying on the floor?" at him. 

think it's only United fans that sing that. 

The Tullie named the accusers then took the names out in an edit, and now says McPake's alleged remark was "aggravated by prejudice relating to sexual orientation". A 2 second search on Twitter revealed at least one of the lads' sexual orientation doesn't exactly match that quote, so already I have my doubts (unless of course the quote refers to just what is alleged rather than what is factually true). Can't know until the judgment is ruled in February, but I certainly have my doubts at least in regards to McPake's charge.