All things Dundee FC

Couple of minor triumphs along the way, but basically for me, over the last 50 years it's been one let down after another.
Supporting Dundee = Abject misery.
Thank you.
Want a real laugh?

I was born in December 1965. I am told that the first thing I watched on TV was Celtic winning the European Cup in 67, and so enthused was I by this that I became a Celtic supporter, much to my staunch Dundee supporting dad's horror.

Every time Dundee played Celtic after that it seemed Dundee pumped them, the more Dundee won, the more my dad was on at me to support Dundee. My Dad's team. My hometown team. The team that always pumped Celtic - after which my dad would wind me up until the next time Dundee pumped them.

My last day as a Celtic fan was the day of the 1973 League Cup final when, as always - and as my Dad foretold to my sorry 7 year old ass, Celtic got pumped by Dundee, who won the League Cup.

"Son, you should really support Dundee you know."

"Okay Dad."

So went the conversation.

The day after Dundee won The League Cup.

2 minutes ago, dd23 said:

Want a real laugh?

I was born in December 1965. I am told that the first thing I watched on TV was Celtic winning the European Cup in 67, and so enthused was I by this that I became a Celtic supporter, much to my staunch Dundee supporting dad's horror.

Every time Dundee played Celtic after that it seemed Dundee pumped them, the more Dundee won, the more my dad was on at me to support Dundee. My Dad's team. My hometown team. The team that always pumped Celtic - after which my dad would wind me up until the next time Dundee pumped them.

My last day as a Celtic fan was the day of the 1973 League Cup final when, as always - and as my Dad foretold to my sorry 7 year old ass, Celtic got pumped by Dundee, who won the League Cup.

"Okay Dad."

Same age as me, when the fuckers finally do manage to win something, we'll probably die of old age the day before.😄

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Gonna throw a silly one in.

Heard in work that it was Kerr and hemmings who fell out...

What over and when , I didnt ask as couldn't really care .

Maybe a reason why hemmings isnt starting?

That's what I heard as well, Hemmings did a bad tackle on Kerr in training.

Who are the usual knicker wetters? 
Old man bought another Dundee gnome for his garden. 3 out of 3

The usual suspects on here/Twitter/Facebook who call for managers to be sacked after every bad result. I’ve said it so many times but I don’t know what some people were expecting this season. You’d think Dundee fans more than most would understand how difficult this league can be to get out of so the fact that some people though that we’d romp the league and should be going to places like Morton and winning comfortably are deluded, especially after how big a rebuild job we have after the clusterfuck McIntyre left us with. The quicker people realise that this season is going to very up and down and accept that the better. 4th place this season would be acceptable for me.

3 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

The usual suspects on here/Twitter/Facebook who call for managers to be sacked after every bad result. I’ve said it so many times but I don’t know what some people were expecting this season. You’d think Dundee fans more than most would understand how difficult this league can be to get out of so the fact that some people though that we’d romp the league and should be going to places like Morton and winning comfortably are deluded, especially after how big a rebuild job we have after the clusterfuck McIntyre left us with. The quicker people realise that this season is going to very up and down and accept that the better. 4th place this season would be acceptable for me.

Don't think anyone expected us to romp it. But to be sitting behind Arbroath and struggling against Alloa and Morton is a big worry. This is not a hard league - the teams are pish. We are spending way more than anyone apart from Utd. I did expect an up and down season. Up and down between the play off places. Not fighting just to get into the top 6. I can assure you my thoughts are shared by the men putting the money into our expensive squad.

5 hours ago, dd23 said:

Want a real laugh?

"Okay Dad."

Aye, my son was Barca daft, then the more Dundee games he went to as he grew older, the more he supported Dundee.

Now he won't look at any other team.

However;

"Why do we have to support Dundee dad?" Was the question a couple of weeks ago, after another disappointing result.

"It's character building son, it will make you a better person." Was my answer.

I have no idea what I was getting at either.

43 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Dangerous to except any level of pish tho. The worst we should find acceptable is reaching the playoff final. We’re now 11 games in and regardless the amount of new signings we should be seeing an improvement. 

Its always funny seeing the happy clappers attacking anyone with a less than rosey viewpoint. 

Maybe if we didn't allow Hartleys final year, McCanns entire misery and McIntyres dismal period, we wouldn't be in the Championship struggling to beat Alloa at home.

The happy clappers were all convinced that McCann was so close to getting it right, well that worked out great didn't it.

Just now, srw said:

Its always funny seeing the happy clappers attacking anyone with a less than rosey viewpoint. 

Maybe if we didn't allow Hartleys final year, McCanns entire misery and McIntyres dismal period, we wouldn't be in the Championship struggling to beat Alloa at home.

The happy clappers were all convinced that McCann was so close to getting it right, well that worked out great didn't it.

It does take time. No one walks in and just mops up the competition.

McPake has made better signings than the last few managers but has made some pretty odd gameplans.

Still don't understand his subs and how Nelson is on the bench every week, but the alternative, is to sack everyone after a few losses and that is nothing short of idiotic.

8 minutes ago, Crawford said:

It does take time. No one walks in and just mops up the competition.

McPake has made better signings than the last few managers but has made some pretty odd gameplans.

Still don't understand his subs and how Nelson is on the bench every week, but the alternative, is to sack everyone after a few losses and that is nothing short of idiotic.

I haven't called for his head, but its close.

Ive said before that loyalty is nonsense, its a concept that I don't believe in. How far into this experiment is it ok to decide that its not working? Some will say now, others Christmas, others the whole season, others 3 or 4 transfer windows. 

I was confident before the season started, I believed we had signed better players than we had last season, which makes our abject performances all the worse. McPake has now had 12 games this season, and we look no closer to being an actual team, with an idea of how to play, and thats the damning thing.

He does not deserve time for being a DFC legend (which he isn't), he does not deserve time because he is a new manager, there are two reasons that you give someone time, one of which is they have shown great potential, or the second is they have a proven record, but having a blip.

I liked McPake as a player, by all accounts he did well with the youths, but he is struggling badly, and better improve soon.