All things Dundee FC

22 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I live closer to Camperdown so it's ideal for myself as could walk to the new stadium. Plus kids can play in the park before we go to the game. It's a win win for me.

Big game against Elgin. First time we have ever played them. Be good to get a good few goals.

I live 5-10 minutes walk from it so I'm in the same boat as you for wanting it finished. Will be a good matchday for out of towners too with all the places to eat up there and even the cinema.

Regarding Elgin, anytime we have played lower league opposition, it always ends up a slug match. Cove and Peterhead for example.

Edited by Crawford

I live 5-10 minutes walk from it so I'm in the same boat as you for wanting it finished. Will be a good matchday for out of towners too with all the places to eat up there and even the cinema.
Regarding Elgin, anytime we have play lower league opposition it always ends up a slug match. Cove and Peterhead for example.

Ha very much so. I take a win regardless, however would be nice to just thump a team.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Falkirk just signed David McMillan on loan from St Johnstone. See, this is where my confusion lies.

I just went and read the rules and I'm still a little unsure. Apparently it's a shorter loan period of between 28 and 93 days.

You are allowed 4 in a closed transfer period per season.

Edit - clubs determine if it's an emergency or not as well. Not the SFA.

Edited by Crawford

8 minutes ago, baldragon said:

Out of curiosity anyone know if Martin woods has a new club?

Pfft no chance. So long as Jimmy Mac is out of a job, so Woods shall be too.

Fun fact: Ngwatala signed for AFC Fylde, and on his player info page on their website they list him as a United player, to the extent of using the nickname 'The Terrors'. Is it that hard to get this shit right?

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Had a look at who we were supposedly linked with a during McCann/McIntyre era

Josh Pask now at Coventry

Tony Martinez now at Famalicão(Portuguese top flight)

David faupala failed in Cyprus league

Nils rutten released from a 3rd tier German side

Anyone els Iv missed?

Not really any big misses or world beaters imo

If it is to happen ? Thought this was all a guarantee? 2016... 3 years later and we have did.... nothing. :-(

Ohh a players father. Clearly not in the know ? Who was the midfielder as I presume a few to choose from ?

I miss all the itk people. We had loads about the stadium and then it all just stopped.

I dont mind being wrong but I love facts and stats.
Rumours are fun.

We will sign another midfielder before end of the season

Why do you keep banging the “new stadium” drum? You’ve made it clear plenty of times that you don’t want us to leave Dens.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Falkirk just signed David McMillan on loan from St Johnstone. See, this is where my confusion lies.

1 hour ago, Crawford said:

I just went and read the rules and I'm still a little unsure. Apparently it's a shorter loan period of between 28 and 93 days.

You are allowed 4 in a closed transfer period per season.

Edit - clubs determine if it's an emergency or not as well. Not the SFA.

McMillan is there for the season.

Transfer window rules seem different in the seaside leagues.

Why do you keep banging the “new stadium” drum? You’ve made it clear plenty of times that you don’t want us to leave Dens.
I'm in the middle of it..
Dens is where I wanna stay
Financially looks like we could be better off playing elsewhere.
I'm still sceptical of this new stadium even happening.
I guess when they start digging is when I start believing.
It's also 5-10 minutes from my house so always a bonus.

Hopefully that's cleared my views on it for you.

15 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

@hk blues

Continental website. '2nd Striker' is a common term  on the Continent for a player we would describe as a 'forward', 'hole player', or perhaps even '#10', rather than an out and out striker or #9 type.

There's nothing wanky or hipster about it, it's just the term they use for something we've long recognised ourselves.

Never heard it before hence my question.  Still think it's pish - striker would suffice!  

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Quite.

There's a full wiki entry about it. It's fairly straightforward.

Reveal hidden contents

Second striker

Deep-lying forwards have a long history in the game, but the terminology to describe their playing activity has varied over the years. Originally such players were termed inside forwards, creative or deep-lying centre-forwards. More recently, two more variations of this old type of player have developed: the second, or shadow, or support, or auxiliary striker and, in what is in fact a distinct position unto its own, the number 10, exemplified by Dennis Bergkamp (who would play just in behind the striker Thierry Henry at Arsenal). Other number 10s who play further back, such as Diego Maradona, Ronaldinho and Zinedine Zidane, are often described as an attacking midfielder or the playmaker.

The second striker position is a loosely defined and most often misapplied description of a player positioned somewhere between the out-and-out striker, whether he is a "target-man" or more of a "poacher", and the Number 10 or attacking midfielder, while possibly showing some of the characteristics of both. In fact, a term coined by French advanced playmaker Michel Platini, the "nine-and-a-half", which he used to describe Roberto Baggio's playing role, has been an attempt to become a standard in defining the position. Conceivably, a Number 10 can alternate as a second-striker provided that he is also a prolific goalscorer; otherwise, a mobile forward with good technical ability (dribbling skills and ball control) and link-up play, who can both score and create opportunities for a less versatile centre-forward, is more suited. Second or support strikers do not tend to get as involved in the orchestration of attacks as the Number 10, nor do they bring as many other players into play, since they do not share the burden of responsibility, functioning predominantly as assist providers. In Italy, this role is known as a "rifinitore" or "seconda punta", whereas in Brazil, it is known as "segundo atacante" or "ponta-de-lança".

Aye...the same Wiki page that includes a false no9.  More pish!  

Seriously though, I was more interested in why the table was so specific in that respect but not for other positions i.e. the numerous midfield roles are not mentioned. 

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Aye...the same Wiki page that includes a false no9.  More pish!  

Seriously though, I was more interested in why the table was so specific in that respect but not for other positions i.e. the numerous midfield roles are not mentioned. 

Just a difference in football cultures I think.

Say Netherlands for arguments sake. They consider that all players who play in the back line or midfield should be interchangeable and comfortable playing in all the positions directly behind (for midfielders), in front (for defenders) or to either side of him, so a 'midfielder' is just a midfielder, defender a defender, there's no need to stipulate 'left-sided midfielder' etc.

However, they do still differentiate between 'strikers' i.e. an out and out goal-scorer, and a 'forward/2nd striker', a guy who plays up the pitch but is someone you rely on to link and create rather than put the ball in the net. Presumably it's just because that even 'total football' adherents accept that sticking the ball in the net is such a unique and intrinsic ability, that you can't really coach a #10 to become a #9, hence the differentiation between them.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just a difference in football cultures I think.

Say Netherlands for arguments sake. They consider that all players who play in the back line or midfield should be interchangeable and comfortable playing in all the positions directly behind (for midfielders), in front (for defenders) or to either side of him, so a 'midfielder' is just a midfielder, defender a defender, there's no need to stipulate 'left-sided midfielder' etc.

However, they do still differentiate between 'strikers' i.e. an out and out goal-scorer, and a 'forward/2nd striker', a guy who plays up the pitch but is someone you rely on to link and create rather than put the ball in the net. Presumably it's just because that even 'total football' adherents accept that sticking the ball in the net is such a unique and intrinsic ability, that you can't really coach a #10 to become a #9, hence the differentiation between them.

It's definitely a different philosophy in that I'd say we have/had the opposite approach (or did when I was playing as a kid) i.e. the defenders were very much fixed as being LB/RB/CH and the midfield similar but the forwards tended to be more interchangeable.  

Obviously the Scottish way is best as evidenced by our great success in international football in recent years!