All things Dundee FC

4 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Talking of surrendering possession, that launching a diagonal ball out to the wing straight from kick off needs to GTF. It inevitably ends up going out for a throw or straight to the opposition. 

The Sevco were doing that today, didn't work out for them though.

Reckon we need 3 in for tomorrow to harbour title ambitions. Gk, CH and creative midfielder.

Can't see us doing that though. Reckon 1 at most will come in. 2 if we somehow manage to fluke Davies off the books.

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Talking of surrendering possession, that launching a diagonal ball out to the wing straight from kick off needs to GTF. It inevitably ends up going out for a throw or straight to the opposition. 

McCann was slaughtered for trying to do the opposite. 

7 hours ago, Crawford said:

Need to cut loose McGowan, Hamilton and Forster.

Thought McGowan dragged you back into that game the other night. Ok, not in terms of the scoreline, but certainly in terms of getting Dundee on the ball and preventing Utd from making it a far worse scoreline.

Have always rated him against us, he should be a standout at that level.  Granted he's not creative or much of a goal threat, but in terms of sitting doing a disciplined  job in front of the back 4 and keeping possession, I'd still take him at Saints now, it's what we're crying out for.

It surprises me how quite a few Dundee fans don't seem to rate him.

Thought McGowan dragged you back into that game the other night. Ok, not in terms of the scoreline, but certainly in terms of getting Dundee on the ball and preventing Utd from making it a far worse scoreline.

Have always rated him against us, he should be a standout at that level.  Granted he's not creative or much of a goal threat, but in terms of sitting doing a disciplined  job in front of the back 4 and keeping possession, I'd still take him at Saints now, it's what we're crying out for.

It surprises me how quite a few Dundee fans don't seem to rate him.

Because some people don’t seem to appreciate what having a midfielder who actually wants to receive the ball can do for a team. As much as it’s a buzzword nowadays, he brings a degree of dynamism to the team, and gets us to play structured passages of play to move up the park. In fairness, it’s not always the most efficient or fastest way often enough, but at least it’s not mindless hoofing up the park.

But hey, he sometimes loses the ball whilst trying to pick a forward pass. His lofted ball for the 2nd goal against United was a peach though. 🤷‍♀️

8 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Because some people don’t seem to appreciate what having a midfielder who actually wants to receive the ball can do for a team. As much as it’s a buzzword nowadays, he brings a degree of dynamism to the team, and gets us to play structured passages of play to move up the park. In fairness, it’s not always the most efficient or fastest way often enough, but at least it’s not mindless hoofing up the park.

But hey, he sometimes loses the ball whilst trying to pick a forward pass. His lofted ball for the 2nd goal against United was a peach though. 🤷‍♀️

We’ve got a knack at Dens of unfortunately getting on the back of the better players we have. Can’t get my head around it tbh, guys that are clearly decent players getting unmerited stick. Gowser, Kamara, Stewart, Bain and Harkins just a few from over the last few seasons. 

Just now, Yenitit said:

We’ve got a knack at Dens of unfortunately getting on the back of the better players we have. Can’t get my head around it tbh, guys that are clearly decent players getting unmerited stick. Gowser, Kamara, Stewart, Bain and Harkins just a few from over the last few seasons. 

The one that used to piss me off was Tam Konrad. He had a debry nightmare once and then ended up with this perception about him that he was pish when he was a very consistent performer for a bottom six side who played almost every week and was usually quite decent. He wasn't a superstar but he was well ahead of Julen performance wise, Gadzhalov (initially, he was off the pace but did improve) and certainly Kevin Gomis. Very rarely got injured too. McPake was a big rash centre back who could struggle in certain scenarios and Tam complimented him very well.

Quite often, it's those players who are quite steady but uninspiring who we end up letting go to the plaudits of the support with our 'ambition' and then end up spending years signing erratic shite for a lot more money to fill the gaps. We had a squad of like 30-40 players who played last season and it wasn't the fault of players like Gowser what happened.

40 minutes ago, harry94 said:

The one that used to piss me off was Tam Konrad. He had a debry nightmare once and then ended up with this perception about him that he was pish when he was a very consistent performer for a bottom six side who played almost every week and was usually quite decent. He wasn't a superstar but he was well ahead of Julen performance wise, Gadzhalov (initially, he was off the pace but did improve) and certainly Kevin Gomis. Very rarely got injured too. McPake was a big rash centre back who could struggle in certain scenarios and Tam complimented him very well.

Quite often, it's those players who are quite steady but uninspiring who we end up letting go to the plaudits of the support with our 'ambition' and then end up spending years signing erratic shite for a lot more money to fill the gaps. We had a squad of like 30-40 players who played last season and it wasn't the fault of players like Gowser what happened.

Agreed. There’s near an endless list of players! O’Hara’s another, still getting stick from people now. The guy was 21 when he played for us and clearly had something to offer both defensively and attacking but because he wasn’t from here he doesn’t get the chance to progress as a player. He’d be ideal for us now. 

Agree with some above that McGowan massively steadied the ship on Friday. A lot of the match was end-to-end pinball caused largely by our young team failing to retain the ball. Heads gone everywhere in a rush to try and get the deficit back. Was crying out for someone willing to put their foot on it and McGowan was that man. In hindsight he should definitely have started for his experience alone. 

I said several times at the start of the season that those expecting us to win this league were going to be dissapointed. We have issues in the air at the back but much more significantly we're a brand new team full of young faces.

We should make the playoffs and with a couple of additions next year will be competitive, regardless of the league. There will be a couple of minters like this to suck up in the meantime.

In an ideal world, we will sign a keeper, a central defender, a creative midfielder and a left back today.

We will do well to get 2 out of the 4 Id guess, so a central defender and a creative midfielder please*.

I didn't know anything about Forster when he signed, but thought/hoped he would be good, but after seeing him for a few games, he looks Kusunga levels of Jesus Christ that man is giving me a heart attack, bad. I have been against playing Meetings since he signed, he looks like a happy gimp that walked in the wrong door and has somehow been allowed to stay, added to the fact that he clearly isn't a football player, sells herbal life stuff, spends the vast majority of time injured and should never have been made club captain, Im somewhat taken aback by the thought that Id rather he played than Forster. We need someone to partner McGhee badly.

If we could get Harkins from 5 years ago, that would be the ideal creative midfielder, and we need one badly. Byrne is meant to be a good player, Ive yet to see anything of him impressive, Ness looks both good and bad, with the usual Dundee fitness/injury issues, Robertson looks tidy, but isn't a match winner, McGowan continues to split opinions, Im a fan, but again, he isn't a match winner. For our level, thats 4 good midfielders, but with issues......

We (still) don't look like a team with an identity. We need to get one ASAP, chopping and changing at half time, or 50 minutes etc isn't a good sign. 

*I want a keeper, but McPake looks happy with Hamilton for some unknown reason.

4 minutes ago, srw said:

In an ideal world, we will sign a keeper, a central defender, a creative midfielder and a left back today.

We will do well to get 2 out of the 4 Id guess, so a central defender and a creative midfielder please*.

I didn't know anything about Forster when he signed, but thought/hoped he would be good, but after seeing him for a few games, he looks Kusunga levels of Jesus Christ that man is giving me a heart attack, bad. I have been against playing Meetings since he signed, he looks like a happy gimp that walked in the wrong door and has somehow been allowed to stay, added to the fact that he clearly isn't a football player, sells herbal life stuff, spends the vast majority of time injured and should never have been made club captain, Im somewhat taken aback by the thought that Id rather he played than Forster. We need someone to partner McGhee badly.

If we could get Harkins from 5 years ago, that would be the ideal creative midfielder, and we need one badly. Byrne is meant to be a good player, Ive yet to see anything of him impressive, Ness looks both good and bad, with the usual Dundee fitness/injury issues, Robertson looks tidy, but isn't a match winner, McGowan continues to split opinions, Im a fan, but again, he isn't a match winner. For our level, thats 4 good midfielders, but with issues......

We (still) don't look like a team with an identity. We need to get one ASAP, chopping and changing at half time, or 50 minutes etc isn't a good sign. 

*I want a keeper, but McPake looks happy with Hamilton for some unknown reason.

I agree that if circumstances are such we must focus on outfield players rather than the keeper.  Ordinary keepers can look very good over a season if they have people in front of them that close down the opposition and minimise conceding goals.  An attacking/goal scoring midfielder really needed.  £3m should do it 😬

44 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

I agree that if circumstances are such we must focus on outfield players rather than the keeper.  Ordinary keepers can look very good over a season if they have people in front of them that close down the opposition and minimise conceding goals.  An attacking/goal scoring midfielder really needed.  £3m should do it 😬

Can anyone think of a bad mistake Hamilton has made so far this season? He has six clean sheets from nine games ffs. No-one's perfect but there is no way the keeper position should be a priority, he's fine and with a bit of love and confidence can only improve. 

3 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

Can anyone think of a bad mistake Hamilton has made so far this season? He has six clean sheets from nine games ffs. No-one's perfect but there is no way the keeper position should be a priority, he's fine and with a bit of love and confidence can only improve. 

Dunfermline game, he came out like a blindman and was miles away from the ball.

He is a calamitous goal keeper.