All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

Ness has a very good range of passing. As does Robertson. 

Byrne has had about 60 minutes of decent football for this club and I'm yet to be convinced by him. 

I get the impression you signed him because he was a top flight player, rather than signing him with an idea of how he'd fit into the team, tbh. 

Livingston are a side with a tactic that certain players thrive in. Hes potentially one of those players.

1 minute ago, LM_0803 said:

Robertson is slow. Ness is slow. Byrne is slow. McGowan is slow. We need a FAST midfielder who can run with the ball at defences. Never going to get anywhere with the current midfield when they're slow on and off the ball, and unable to provide service to the forwards.

I can't think of many particularly quick CMs going about, tbh?

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ludo, you say this literally every year.

Just my opinion, but Hamilton, Forster/Meekings/McGhee, Marshall, McDaid, Todd are all second tier players.

Kerr could still go either way but hasnt played well for years now. Byrne is quality in the right system, but him and Ness are too opposite to play well together, while Johnson is someone you'll all hate by Christmas. I cant comment on the likes of Robertson as I've never seen him play.

To me, you're a goalkeeper, back four, two wingers and a playmaker away from a "truly good team", and just now you're looking at a fight for second at best. Genuinely cant believe Dundee have, once again, been lulled into a false belief about their team as they spent the majority of a game passing the ball about in midfield, creating nothing, then being caught on the counter.

They are but we are a second tier team. The likes of Todd, McDaid, McGhee and Marshall are all absolutely fine for the upper end of this level. If we were to get promoted we'd need to change the backline substantially, you're right. However, we have an exciting team with a forward line that's up there with the best in the top flight. If we can bring in a creative player, a CH and a keeper before Monday I don't think there'll be many weaknesses in our game at this level.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I get the impression you signed him because he was a top flight player, rather than signing him with an idea of how he'd fit into the team, tbh. 

Based on what exactly?

You don't half waffle some pish sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

with a forward line that's up there with the best in the top flight. 

We have Kane Hemmings, a boy who couldn't get a game for a Motherwell (who finished 8th) and a guy who injured himself celebrating g a goal and yet, can't displace either Hemmings or Johnson. 

Please stop. 

Just now, Dele said:

We have Kane Hemmings, a boy who couldn't get a game for a Motherwell (who finished 8th) and a guy who injured himself celebrating g a goal and yet, can't displace either Hemmings or Johnson. 

Please stop. 

f**k up.

Just now, Dele said:

:lol:

I'll expect the usual mewling and apology within the hour. 

I've no desire to interact with one of the genuinely worst posters on this site. So I'll reiterate: f**k up.

Ach well, we got pumped, got to take it on the chin and keep going. Get a couple defenders and midfielders in by the deadline hopefully. When we lost 6-2 on New Year's Eve we followed up with an 8 game unbeaten streak. Our next 3 games are Elgin, Alloa and Morton. If we can get some positive results going we can get ourselves settled and we'll know more about where the team stands come the next derby.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've no desire to interact with one of the genuinely worst posters on this site. So I'll reiterate: f**k up.

Beautiful. 

So far this season we've been told we have four (of the top 6 was it?) midfielders in this division on our books, one of which had played twice in his career and now we have a forward three up there with the best in the country. You post so much hyperbolic nonsense that even me, one of the worst posters on the site, has to read it through my fingers. 

It's great to see, tiny tears. x

They are but we are a second tier team. The likes of Todd, McDaid, McGhee and Marshall are all absolutely fine for the upper end of this level. If we were to get promoted we'd need to change the backline substantially, you're right. However, we have an exciting team with a forward line that's up there with the best in the top flight. If we can bring in a creative player, a CH and a keeper before Monday I don't think there'll be many weaknesses in our game at this level.

I sort of half agree with you, you make a pot of good points but do think you’re getting a little carried away saying that we are close to having a very good team. Realistically it’s going to take us a good couple of seasons of rebuilding unfortunately. Of course, we could still get lucky and go up this season but I’d almost rather we spent a couple of years in this league to allow us to rebuild properly. Look how long it’s taken United to finally build a team which looks semi capable of competing in the premiership (even they’re still a couple of players short).

Hamilton seems to be the scapegoat this year, and I can sort of see why due to the fact that he’s made some clangers but he’s nowhere near the worst imo. He’s arguably earned us more points this season than any of our other players with some key saves.

McPake is still trying to figure out the system which best suits the players we have and that’s going to take time, and results like last night will probably happen this season just like it did with United when they were rebuilding with the 6-1 at home to Falkirk and 5-0 at Home to Ayr off the top of my head.

We just need to be patient this season and McPake needs to be given time. Anyone who is expecting us to win the league this season needs to give their head a shake.

Does anyone really believe we're going to bring in a keeper, centre half and creative midfielder by the transfer deadline? McPake/Nelms have had months to do it, but, as it stands, we're out of the League Cup, just been pumped 6-2 by United and seven points off the top of the league. Too late.

22 minutes ago, Dele said:

Beautiful. 

So far this season we've been told we have four (of the top 6 was it?) midfielders in this division on our books, one of which had played twice in his career and now we have a forward three up there with the best in the country. You post so much hyperbolic nonsense that even me, one of the worst posters on the site, has to read it through my fingers. 

It's great to see, tiny tears. x

f**k up.

Eta: chosen to put him on ignore to avoid cluttering the thread with nonsense.

Edited by Ludo*1

20 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Does anyone really believe we're going to bring in a keeper, centre half and creative midfielder by the transfer deadline? McPake/Nelms have had months to do it, but, as it stands, we're out of the League Cup, just been pumped 6-2 by United and seven points off the top of the league. Too late.

No, not really, but that's what we need for a really good side at this level IMO. It took Neilson 18 months to build his. Not bad going for McPake to only be needing 3 players from a title challenging side 2 and a bit months into the job. Play-offs this year (2nd is crucial) and a title tilt next year if we don't go up is fairly reasonable IMO.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

No, not really, but that's what we need for a really good side at this level IMO. It took Neilson 18 months to build his. Not bad going for McPake to only be needing 3 players from a title challenging side 2 and a bit months into the job. Play-offs this year (2nd is crucial) and a title tilt next year if we don't go up is fairly reasonable IMO.

Neilson arrived last October.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

We have a forward line that's up there with the best in the top flight.

Steady on, we have a good strike force, one of the best in our league, and could be decent for a lower level Premiership side, but far from the best. Was happy to see all of them but the back of the net last night, but we need to get better service for them, as it means little if we can't give them the ball. I'm still convinced we'll turn this around and hopefully at worst safely ensure a play-off spot, but I wouldn't say that. Or that we're exciting.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Steady on, we have a good strike force, one of the best in our league, and could be decent for a lower level Premiership side, but far from the best. Was happy to see all of them but the back of the net last night, but we need to get better service for them, as it means little if we can't give them the ball. I'm still convinced we'll turn this around and hopefully at worst safely ensure a play-off spot, but I wouldn't say that. Or that we're exciting.

Honestly - Would you have any of these trios ahead of ours?

Ross County - Ross Stewart, Brian Graham, Billy McKay.
St Johnstone - Stevie May, Callum Hendry, Chris Kane.
St Mirren - Junior Morias, Danny Mullen, Cody Cooke.
Hamilton - Steve Davies, George Oakley, Mickel Miller.
Livingston - Aymen Souda, Lee Miller, Lyndon Dykes.
Motherwell - Chris Long, Jermaine Hylton, Devante Cole.
Kilmarnock - Eamonn Brophy, Rory McKenzie, Innes Cameron.

Certain individuals in those trios might well be better than what we have, but I stand by what I said. Up there with the best trios and that's 7 of the top 12 teams in the top flight.

Priority here has to be the formation.  Our forwards looked sharp in the first half, but we had better balance in the 2nd. Hemmings is a great player at this level, but maybe it would have been a better use of money to get in another midfielder. 

As for the game, well it was just one of those days. We were the better team for 30 minutes and if the 1st had been given, I;m sure United would have bottled it.  Yes, we gave away some bad goals, but 2 massive deflections, a slip for the penalty and a breakaway when we were pushing for a 3rd at the end made it look worse than it was. 

Pre-season I thought that going up in 1 go would be a push and that the first half of the season would be about getting a team to gell. We also need to give the manager a bit of room. Yes, it was a Derby, but I think we played too open and too offensive.  We will get better and their is the makings of a very good team. Onwards and upwards. 

37 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Honestly - Would you have any of these trios ahead of ours?

Ross County - Ross Stewart, Brian Graham, Billy McKay.
St Johnstone - Stevie May, Callum Hendry, Chris Kane.
St Mirren - Junior Morias, Danny Mullen, Cody Cooke.
Hamilton - Steve Davies, George Oakley, Mickel Miller.
Livingston - Aymen Souda, Lee Miller, Lyndon Dykes.
Motherwell - Chris Long, Jermaine Hylton, Devante Cole.
Kilmarnock - Eamonn Brophy, Rory McKenzie, Innes Cameron.

Certain individuals in those trios might well be better than what we have, but I stand by what I said. Up there with the best trios and that's 7 of the top 12 teams in the top flight.

You are leaving yourself wide open here ludo.