Aye, he was perfectly ok going forward, but being a fullback and part of our defence it's a fundamental part of his job to be competent at basic defensive duties. That aspect of his game was completely woeful. The difference with Jon was night and day in that regard. I'm not too bothered if my LB isn't creating a goal every other game, or scoring 10 per season, but what no team can afford is a defensive liability that flogs one every other week. His attributes further up the pitch didn't come remotely close to making up for his ineptitude in our defensive third.
That's not fair at all.

SPFL Radar had him and Spanish Jon as the two best full backs in the league in terms of stopping crosses into the box. Obviously you get anomalies with that sort of data and it should be taken with a pinch of salt but he was very very good defensively in his final season, his performance at Celtic Park in the 0-0 was particularly good.

We invested with him making mistakes and struggling with that side of thing and then finally decided to ditch him when he consistently got good at it. It's maybe not a coincidence that all our full backs looked poor defensively when Holt arrived, we pretty much had 4 attackers on the park with Harkins, Stewart, Loy and Hemmings in a lot of games. We've had a few good defensive players but have just been poorly organised for years and had piss poor midfielders (with the exception of Kamara and he often got played with some utter pish).

2 hours ago, stu2910 said:

Has the time come to consider full backs swapping sides 

Have you ever watched Cammy Kerr at left back?

Have you ever watched Cammy Kerr at left back?

In fairness he probably did better there than a lot of our left backs ever have.

7 hours ago, Fifespud said:

How many can you name??

IMG_4462.jpg

When men were men!

The young man seated in front of Shades also now sadly passed.

Ian Redford broke the Scottish transfer fee record when he left for £210,000 aged only 19.

He sadly never realised his initial dream of leaving to sign for Spurs, to follow in the footsteps of John Duncan and Alan Gilzean.

Best regards 

Edited by This Charming Man

Erich 'Shades' Schaedler. Finest fullback I ever saw.
RIP.

Unlike his opposite number, 4th from right, middle row - George ‘Zico’ McGeachie. He did have some comedic value.

Also front row Eric ‘Sinky’ Sinclair, slower than a week in jail but a fine poacher.

Ally Donaldson and our own Bobby Geddes wearing the goalkeeper tops. Both miles better than what we have now and possibly still are.

Ally Donaldson and our own Bobby Geddes wearing the goalkeeper tops. Both miles better than what we have now and may possibly still are.

Ian Ferguson - front row, between Sinky and Big Bobby Glennie. And I think Jimmy Murphy extreme right middle row.

This was my first season of attending semi regularly as my big brother had passed his test.

Shite being a Dundee fan.  This has to be one of the least interesting close seasons I can remember, barely even any rumours going around. 

31 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Ian Ferguson - front row, between Sinky and Big Bobby Glennie. And I think Jimmy Murphy extreme right middle row.

This was my first season of attending semi regularly as my big brother had passed his test.

Same here, Jimmy Murphy, what a cracking winger, would be worth about 5 million now. IMO.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Apparently v Rangers - 43000 at the game they suggest.

IMG_4463.jpg

I think it was from the early 50’s.  My dad was at the match.  He claims that one of the gates was forced open and hundreds spilled into the ground without paying, so the actual attendance would have been higher than the official attendance. 

12 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Same here, Jimmy Murphy, what a cracking winger, would be worth about 5 million now. IMO.

Thank you.

Evening Biggie

Can't help but notice the amount of unwarranted DAB red cards you receive.

Did you pish on their shed and plant pots by any chance?

Very best regards

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Thank you.

I can still hear it now.  “We’ve got Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy Murphy on the wing, on the wing......”

Front row, 4th from the left is Eric Sinclair I think.  Remember the badges that fans would wear on their scarfs?  One badge regularly seen read “Jesus saves but Sinclair nets the rebound”.

Edited by Shadow Play

3 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Evening Biggie

Can't help but notice the amount of unwarranted DAB red cards you receive.

Did you pish on their shed and plant pots by any chance?

Very best regards

Thank you, it was a bit harsh the last one about Jimmy Murphy. IMO.

Kevin Holt got abuse way over the top of what was deserved.
Suggesting he was personally at fault for a goal every second game is just complete and utter nonsense which proves exactly the point of my first sentence. 

I don’t remember KH taking that much abuse from the Derry. Get yourself in the Derry for this season mate. The Coxy is poison!

2 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

Shite being a Dundee fan.  This has to be one of the least interesting close seasons I can remember, barely even any rumours going around. 

It's nice not having Dodds relay everything McIntyre has told him on the radio, tbh

Eta: I fucking hate being the first post on a new page man. Every time.

Edited by RawB93