All things Dundee FC

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Holt was an utter liability defensively. The flak he got was entirely justified. Out of his depth in the Premiership.

I Think thats a bit harsh to be honest. Yes Holt was not a great player but I wouldn't say he was an utter liability. I would prefer Ralph to him tho. 

The problem with Holt was that the abuse he got from the stands clearly got to him and you could see him getting frustrated whenever he'd make a mistake and it would affect the rest of his performance. That terrible pass he made that Kris Doolan latched onto and scored from in a midweek game being the standout.

I liked Holty and agree the morons in our support latched onto him as an easy target, that goal against Hamilton was a cracker and I hold no ill feelings against him.

I would be saying ‘oh dear’ too if I’d just been made a complete c**t off, as you have been.

Kevin Holt did not deserve the abuse he got and neither does Cammy.

Oh dear again. Me and Dee Man are best buds and you have no idea what you are talking about. You are a very angry man, go and steal your wife’s season ticket.

Hartley encouraged everyone to have a go and push up the park in every game. Holt however played negative passes and almost always returned the ball to Bain.
We were all very used to attacking, positive plays so when he made those passes it really stood out. I'll admit even I boo'd him once or twice.
He was a good player. Wasn't setting the world on fire but he wasn't as bad as what we have had since. 
As I said before good signing for them.

Regarding him always returning the ball to Bain, I’ve been wondering for a while if there needs to be some new thought on full backs.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve got frustrated with a full back returning the ball straight back to the keeper, and can’t help thinking it’s because of their stronger foot. When a left footer plays LB, he receives the ball with his back to play if teams are pressing high as it would take too long to allow the ball to run across them. Then 90% of the time they can’t see a pass in time so have to go backwards again. A right footer in the same scenario could be facing up the pitch when receiving the pass and would have a much better chance of spotting a teammate.

On the defensive side, it seems that over the years the idea of a flying winger that runs to the goal line and crosses the ball is a dying breed. With slow passing build up, wide players seem to be more willing to cut inside to look for a pass than to run outside the full back. This means they are always trying to tackle on their weaker side.

Has the time come to consider full backs swapping sides or is this just nonsense fuelled by a boring day at work...

Aye, he was perfectly ok going forward, but being a fullback and part of our defence it's a fundamental part of his job to be competent at basic defensive duties. That aspect of his game was completely woeful. The difference with Jon was night and day in that regard. I'm not too bothered if my LB isn't creating a goal every other game, or scoring 10 per season, but what no team can afford is a defensive liability that flogs one every other week. His attributes further up the pitch didn't come remotely close to making up for his ineptitude in our defensive third.
That's not fair at all.

SPFL Radar had him and Spanish Jon as the two best full backs in the league in terms of stopping crosses into the box. Obviously you get anomalies with that sort of data and it should be taken with a pinch of salt but he was very very good defensively in his final season, his performance at Celtic Park in the 0-0 was particularly good.

We invested with him making mistakes and struggling with that side of thing and then finally decided to ditch him when he consistently got good at it. It's maybe not a coincidence that all our full backs looked poor defensively when Holt arrived, we pretty much had 4 attackers on the park with Harkins, Stewart, Loy and Hemmings in a lot of games. We've had a few good defensive players but have just been poorly organised for years and had piss poor midfielders (with the exception of Kamara and he often got played with some utter pish).

7 hours ago, Fifespud said:

How many can you name??

IMG_4462.jpg

When men were men!

The young man seated in front of Shades also now sadly passed.

Ian Redford broke the Scottish transfer fee record when he left for £210,000 aged only 19.

He sadly never realised his initial dream of leaving to sign for Spurs, to follow in the footsteps of John Duncan and Alan Gilzean.

Best regards 

Edited by This Charming Man

Erich 'Shades' Schaedler. Finest fullback I ever saw.
RIP.

Unlike his opposite number, 4th from right, middle row - George ‘Zico’ McGeachie. He did have some comedic value.

Also front row Eric ‘Sinky’ Sinclair, slower than a week in jail but a fine poacher.

Ally Donaldson and our own Bobby Geddes wearing the goalkeeper tops. Both miles better than what we have now and may possibly still are.

Ian Ferguson - front row, between Sinky and Big Bobby Glennie. And I think Jimmy Murphy extreme right middle row.

This was my first season of attending semi regularly as my big brother had passed his test.

31 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Ian Ferguson - front row, between Sinky and Big Bobby Glennie. And I think Jimmy Murphy extreme right middle row.

This was my first season of attending semi regularly as my big brother had passed his test.

Same here, Jimmy Murphy, what a cracking winger, would be worth about 5 million now. IMO.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Apparently v Rangers - 43000 at the game they suggest.

IMG_4463.jpg

I think it was from the early 50’s.  My dad was at the match.  He claims that one of the gates was forced open and hundreds spilled into the ground without paying, so the actual attendance would have been higher than the official attendance. 

12 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Same here, Jimmy Murphy, what a cracking winger, would be worth about 5 million now. IMO.

Thank you.

Evening Biggie

Can't help but notice the amount of unwarranted DAB red cards you receive.

Did you pish on their shed and plant pots by any chance?

Very best regards