All things Dundee FC

8 hours ago, srw said:
  • Hibs (h)
  • Rangers (a)
  • Hearts (h)
  • Celtic (h)
  • St Mirren (a)

Next 4 games are incredibly tough. Its easy to look at the last 5 games and see the positives, but its the big picture that counts. McIntyre has done some things right, but has made mistakes as well. If we finish in the bottom two, he should go, if we finish 10th, then the board, sorry dictator Nelms,  has a decision to make.

We drew with Hibs and beat Hearts away. No reason to fear them at home if we turn up and play as we did in those games and in the first half against Kilmarnock (and make sure Kasunga scores in the right net). 

I'm genuinely not getting the McIntyre love. Do I think his signings have been better than McCann's? Very debatable, but I think most would say Nelson is better than Kamara (McIntyre's best signing vs McCanns). 

Past couple of games results have improved, granted but as unlucky as we have been we have equally been lucky. Getting our first win under McIntyre in what 10 or so games against a side with 10 men for almost 70 minutes after going behind isn't making me want to hand him a mini warchest and new contract for next season.

Can we do worse than McIntyre? 100% yes. Can we do better? Well, we deserve to be in a constant relegation battle if we don't think we can IMO.

We beat Hearts at Tynecastle a couple of weeks ago. Draws with Kilmarnock, and Accies. McIntyre has picked up as many or even more points in the past 4 or 5 matches as McCann managed in his entire spell in charge this season. When McIntyre has signed  a load of utter duds who contribute nothing and look completely out of their depth from day one, like Mendy, Moussa, Hamilton, Innis etc did, then you can make the argument that his signings are no better.  So far the only guys who haven't contributed anything are Robson and O'Sullivan, and it's unfair to label them duds as they've not been given any opportunity to show anything because the team McIntyre is putting out is doing reasonably well,  all things considered.

How folk can claim this is no improvement on McCann is beyond me. We're playing better, look more organised, look more capable, the players don't look out of their depth in this league, and we're picking up more points. How is that not an improvement? Are people expecting us to suddenly rocket into the top half of the table or something? I agree that perhaps Hadenius and Woods are not really an improvement over Spence, or Madianga or so, but that's the only part of the team McIntyre hasn't improved significantly in January in my opinion. It's a tough window, teams are not willing to let good or promising players move easily. Considering contracts expire in the summer, McIntyre was never going to be able to go out and find a similarly talented midfield replacement for Kamara. Totally unrealistic to expect that in the January window, so it's understandable that he hasn't been able to significantly improve one specific area of the side.

Dieng doesn't look like a flapping clown like Hamilton, Horsfield isn't pulling up any trees but he looks reasonably competent and not completely broken like Kerr. McGowan similarly solid but unspectacular. Dales a bit ineffectual but looks like he might have a goal or an assist in him now and again, and at least he's managed to be ineffectual for more than 60 minutes without a leg falling off, which is more than can be said for Roarie Deacon. Wright is the type of creative, dynamic winger/attacking MF threat we've lacked for a couple of years. Nelson looks a natural goal scorer, and Curran is a complete pain in the arse who never gives the defence a moment's peace. All of these players are an improvement on what we had before McIntrye and before January. I have no faith McCann would have been able to improve us to anything like that extent considering the complete arse he made of recruitment in the summer.

If McCann was still in charge and we were relying on Moussa instead of Nelson, Spence instead of Scott Wright etc, I'm convinced we'd still be sitting bottom of the table behind St.Mirren.  Agree with Jupe. I think we'd have been a lost cause by the time the split came around.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Things have improved, there’s no doubt about that imo. McCanns greatest legacy seems to be lowering what’s expected though. Even competing is being lauded, let’s wait and see how we do before the split before McIntyre is hailed as being anything better than bang average. 

Every time I see Woods on the park I sigh, then he takes a set piece and never does anything. He is McIntyres Moussa for me. 

I agree McIntyre is bang average, and I don't get the repeated assertion that some posters in this thread are talking him up like he's some sort of messiah. The point is simply that we're miles better than we were under McCann because he's a miles better manager than McCann. That's a reflection on how awful McCann was, and how useless the team he put together was, not how great McIntyre is.

McIntyre is doing the job you'd expect of any half-way competent manager. McCann was utterly incompetent. Can't put it any more succinctly than that.

And no, there's no reason to think we couldn't go and recruit a better manager than McIntyre in the medium term, however, if he does the necessary this season then it would be harsh to simply bin him off at the end of it, and on top of that, constantly punting managers in the hope that you just stumble upon the next Guardiola is a nonsense approach to succession anyway. This board stuck by both Hartley and McCann for too long, so I don't see them binning McIntyre if he manages to keep us up unless a totally unexpected managerial talent falls into our lap, but for a club who play in a crappy standard of league and haven't been out of the bottom quarter of it in the past three years, that's extremely wishful thinking. The Steve Clarke's of this world don't come along every day, and there's no doubt Kilmarnock are extremely fortunate to have recruited such a talented manager. If someone of that ability is knocking on the door at Dens then we'd be stupid to turn him away, but I don't think you can just punt a manager for the sake of it then go looking for a Steve Clarke afterwards. It's trying to be clever, and more often than not you'll end up with a McCann or Oran Kearney doing that.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I agree McIntyre is bang average, and I don't get the repeated assertion that some posters in this thread are talking him up like he's some sort of messiah. The point is simply that we're miles better than we were under McCann because he's a miles better manager than McCann. That's a reflection on how awful McCann was, and how useless the team he put together was, not how great McIntyre is.

McIntyre is doing the job you'd expect of any half-way competent manager. McCann was utterly incompetent. Can't put it any more succinctly than that.

I think that's underplaying how bad a state we were in though.

McIntyre inherited a team with only one (partially) fortunate league victory and really looked like they'd get humped by anyone in this league or the second tier (and I wouldn't be confident of anyone below that).

I'm sure it's very easy for any manager to identify those problems but to go out in January and actually get the quality you need is really tough going, many managers have failed at that ('what's the fucking point?'). It's still early days but it appears he's made some really good signings and we're playing football which is good to watch, whilst being competitive.

I think people are getting excited because the thought is that if these are the sorts of signings he'll make, it'd appear that he's got potential to do really well here.

22 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I think that's underplaying how bad a state we were in though.

Believe me, that's the last thing I was trying to do!

Personally speaking, it's only from watching the increased effort and organisation in the side over the past month or so that has opened my eyes to just how awful we truly were under McCann, and as you say, if McIntyre has been able to come in, identify the problems in a couple of months, and address most of them effectively in one January window, then that again is another poor reflection on McCann. I always knew we were bad, but it's the contrast between now, and back in October or so, and how quickly McIntyre has been able to make a fairly significant difference that put things into perspective.

I think the most damning thing is how quickly most of McCann's summer signings, including the late window loanees, were bundled out of the door as soon as it was possible. Ok, most of those guys would have had to go regardless in order to free up wages, but it gives the impression that McIntyre must have evaluated the squad and come away thinking "what the f**k? are you serious????" with regard to the 'talent' McCann had recruited.

The fact we're only two thirds of the way through this season, and from the team that started on Saturday Ralph and Kusunga are the only holdovers from McCann's team at the start of the season speaks volumes. Even then, I'm not sure Kusunga would be starting without injuries, and Ralph got off to an indifferent start of the season and looked like another failed gamble. Ralph's come on a lot since, but if we manage to scrape 10th it will be a fairly impressive feat considering how terrible we were pre-Christmas, and the fact we've had to essentially build a team from scratch in the January window.

Oh, and I'm happy to hold my hand up and admit I was one of the ones wondering what the hell we'd done when we lost our first four (five?) under McIntyre, but that's nothing to do with my views on McCann. Totally correct (and overdue) punting, but McIntyre was hardly an inspiring appointment at the time. Impressed with what he's managed to do in the January window though, so long may the upward trend continue.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Surprised to see McIntyre hasn't swayed a good few of you.  I think he has done an exceptional job in a relatively short prior of time. Results are improving, the squad is much more competitive and I think next season he will push the expectations higher. 

Wasn't a fan of his appointment but he has certainly changed my opinion.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm genuinely not getting the McIntyre love. Do I think his signings have been better than McCann's? Very debatable, but I think most would say Nelson is better than Kamara (McIntyre's best signing vs McCanns). 

Past couple of games results have improved, granted but as unlucky as we have been we have equally been lucky. Getting our first win under McIntyre in what 10 or so games against a side with 10 men for almost 70 minutes after going behind isn't making me want to hand him a mini warchest and new contract for next season.

Can we do worse than McIntyre? 100% yes. Can we do better? Well, we deserve to be in a constant relegation battle if we don't think we can IMO.

This post is rubbish.

Firstly you're comparing the signings of  a manager who had three windows against a manager who has had one window and been in the job a matter of months. That's like comparing the striking sorrow of a Sunday morning hangover after going hell for leather on an away day to the hydrated highs of a Wednesday morning. Not comparable.

If we were however to compare players in and out then Moussa drags down the percentage of signing capability by enough to already have McIntyre ahead. Every position that McCann and even Hartley could never see needed changing has already been corrected. McGowan isn't starting (Robson will be very good), Kerr isn't starting (Not good enough), we actually have wingers, Dieng is the best keeper since Bain, Nelson and Curran is a very good partnership and Ryan McGowan was excellent on Saturday and clearly better than the centre backs McCann continually brought in from the stables of the United Kingdom (Bar Hendry).

The results improved pretty much exactly when he came in aswell. Livi away we were thumped before Hearts at home and Celtic at home. If you really think he could've stepped in the door and guided the footballers we had to victory in them games then you're more stupid than everyone thinks.

Drawing at Easter Road and drawing at home to Sevco were excellent results that McCann would've has us beaten in and was already a marked improvement with the exact same players as McCann had as we waited on January coming. Not to mention playing most of the game against Sevco with ten men and taking 4/6 from our direct competitors at home.

Saturday was actually our second win under McIntyre in five having had a brilliant result to beat Hearts at Tyne castle, which only one team has managed this season. With his own squad we have been beaten once from five where we should've been two up at half time and played good football until the last 20 minutes. Unfortunately Big Dopey Innis gave away a comical penalty before knocking us out the cup a few days later and being sent packing back to London Circus (I wonder who brought him in).

In the form table we currently sit comfortably in top five. McCann couldn't even go five games unbeaten in the Bet fred cup, losing to Dunfermline at home with his near strongest team (not to mention Ayr United decimation in the LC). If this was Barry Smith in charge you'd become a documentary figure after hitting triple figures of masterbating on a daily basis.

Sometimes you have to accept you were wrong. The Non Deluded One is happy to. Not only is McIntyre improved us he's playing the way we all wanted for years. It'll take a turn for the worse for us to go down now with the players we have in our squad. Don't get me wrong we may well go down but now we have the quality to be looking to avoid even the play offs. Which would be a magnificent job from the ex-DAB McIntyre.

We could potentially look to get a better name in than McIntyre but he is earning himself a contract next season and I think I claimed I'd not be back until he leaves in a fit of fury. A great turnaround from the man.

Not reading this Anne Frank excerpt back to proof check it will either make sense or I won't.  I don't give a f**k.

Thank you.

The DAB post ratio has significantly fell once again.

Even Tree House Tam and Boredumguy have disappeared.

I've said before Granny Danger is nothing but a rotund shitebag and he's proved it again. Boredumguy has probably taken a recording of himself and on listening fell into a months deep sleep. As for Tree House Tam the wifi must be off in his old folks pavilion. 

Good times.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

The DAB post ratio has significantly fell once again.

Even Tree House Tam and Boredumguy have disappeared.

I've said before Granny Danger is nothing but a rotund shitebag and he's proved it again. Boredumguy has probably taken a recording of himself and on listening fell into a months deep sleep. As for Tree House Tam the wifi must be off in his old folks pavilion. 

Good times.

Thank you.

^^^

Rattles cages!

For what it’s worth regards McIntyre we’ve definitely improved under him however if we finish 10th it’s not any amazing feat or anything remotely close to it. I’d imagine we’ve probably gained 3 or 4 points on 10th place but fell further behind 9th points wise since he took over. Don’t get me wrong I’ll be delighted with 10th season but let’s not get ahead of ourselves and think it was some sort of miracle to overhaul Hamilton and St Mirren by the end of the season if we do.

To be fair to the guy I think his signings of Dieng, Horsfield, McGowan, Wright and Nelson all look good plus Dales has looked an improvement on what we had. Hopefully 5 of the 6th can be kept on permanently and I’d be contacting  Aberdeen to see what they want for Wright or if another loan deal is possible for next season.  

10th is acceptable, 9th would’ve had me thinking we’ve finally got the real deal in a manager. 

Edited by Yenitit