All things Dundee FC

42 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Hypothetically, if it were a straight toss up between spending £100k on Shankland or towards a Kamara signing on fee for an extension. What would peoples preferences be?

I think we need both 

58 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Hypothetically, if it were a straight toss up between spending £100k on Shankland or towards a Kamara signing on fee for an extension. What would peoples preferences be?

I don't think I could take another season of relying purely on Moussa. So we need Shankland AND a target man. 

And we can't afford to lose Kamara. 

I'd take Shankland. Madianga looks decent plus Deacon still to come back and he's due a good season

4 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

As soon as he wasn't in the team on Saturday the "rumours" were always going to start, in all honesty. 

Don't think they'd have sent him to the captains thing last week if there were offers on the table but sometimes these things move quickly.  We can only wait and see. IMO, it's only a matter of time before he leaves and it all comes back to succession planning like I spoke about last week. 

Sent him as a token gesture. "YOU are a valued member of our team".

The team is better than last season and we only lost to St Mirren due to a dreadful error, however the three players who were consistant in our failures last year still remain. 

Moussa should not be our first choice striker, never in a month of Sundays. It is a disgrace that McCann is still persisting with him as our main man. Mendy actually looks okay but Moussa's been shite for over a year now and based on the whole time he needs to GTF pronto, we cannot continue to have the thick f**k spearheading our team. 

Cammy Kerrs times up, he's not contributing enough. Curran was much better than him at the weekend. 

McGowan contributed fuckall again in the heart of our team as he has done for the majority of the last 3 or four years of failure. 

These three players need to be replaced immediately or it's another season of finishing just above the diddies. 

However a very nice day out on Saturday and a good crowd from the Derry.

Thank you.

Just watched the highlights back:

• Top class howler but Hamilton can only take part of the blame given how naff a situation he was put in by Kerr. I do wonder if the reason Kerr made that pass is because he is right footed and not confident clearing with his left. Still mainly Hamilton's fault, he should have received the ball in a way to play it immediately to his right rather than central to his body. I still think it's good to try and play better football but there will be teething troubles. We can't get on Hamilton's back now, like it or not we are part of his rehab programme.
  • Didn't think the penalty was great but not a shocker either. Decent save. 
  • Didn't miss Kamara as much as I thought we would, thought midfield was good. Some first time effort for our goal. 
  • Good God we need a finisher.

That is all.

3 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Give the money to Kamara. Tbh not many of us on here will know anything about Shankland other than that he’s scored a lot of goals last season in League and has continued where he left of last season in the Championship and Betfred. Let’s hope if we get him he’s the answer. I think he was the guy that changed the game against Aberdeen up at Pittodrie the 1st season under Hartley in the Premier. Think he came on at 3-1 in the 3 all game and scored at least 1 of the late goals. Tbh I might have got the wrong guy!

Edited by Yenitit

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

Give the money to Kamara. Tbh not many of us on here will know what anything about Shankland other than he’s scored a lot last season and has continued where he left of last season. Let’s hope if we get him he’s the answer. I think he was the guy that changed the game against Aberdeen up at Pittodrie the 1st season under Hartley in the Premier. Think he came on at 3-1 in the 3 all game and scored at least 1 of the late goals. Tbh I might have got the wrong guy!

I don't think he scored but a tired debutant Gadz took him out for the penalty I think.

Just googled it.  You’re right about the penalty. Ryan Jack scored the injury time winner. Sure he was involved in the other goal as well and made a difference to Aberdeen when he came on. 

I think us and the filth lost out on him when he signed for Aberdeen from Queens Park. 

Edited by Yenitit

32 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

Just watched the highlights back:

• Top class howler but Hamilton can only take part of the blame given how naff a situation he was put in by Kerr. I do wonder if the reason Kerr made that pass is because he is right footed and not confident clearing with his left. Still mainly Hamilton's fault, he should have received the ball in a way to play it immediately to his right rather than central to his body. I still think it's good to try and play better football but there will be teething troubles. We can't get on Hamilton's back now, like it or not we are part of his rehab programme.
  • Didn't think the penalty was great but not a shocker either. Decent save. 
  • Didn't miss Kamara as much as I thought we would, thought midfield was good. Some first time effort for our goal. 
  • Good God we need a finisher.

That is all.

I totally agree with that. I think if Kerr receives that pass in the right back position he turns and plays it up the line. His inability to play on his left foot is putting him under pressure in those situations because he’s under instruction to play that way. He’s not up to playing there and will have torrid time again next weekend if he is.

Having said that Hamilton should’ve just launched it when Kerr gave him it back. 

As it stands Curran’s ahead of Kerr at right back on performances and it’s his jersey to lose. Harsh on Cammy because he’s been messed about playing left back most games this season. 

Edited by Yenitit

Each day that goes by where we've not signed a striker I become more and more pissed off. It's an absolute joke that we've allowed ourselves to get into this position. When it was clear that AJLS and Murray weren't the answer we should have been out sourcing guys. There's no danger in that timeframe that the only person who's looked decent and/or not knocked us back is Mendy.

Say what you want about Hartley but there's no way he'd have let us get to this point, having been the second lowest scorers in the league last season and replacing 4 outgoing strikers with 1 coming in. He'd probably have got someone signed on a pre-contract in April time.

Pretty sad I know, but I've been building a tool somewhat related to my work, and decided to use it to generate this graph. Interesting how tweets are generally quite positive in lead up to game, with spikes that I'd assume correlate with the team being announced and us scoring (but not checked this at all). Something happens right about 85 minutes into the game....

dees.png

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

I know I’m a Cammy fan boy but Hamilton had enough time to deal with the pass back. It was Hamilton’s f**k up, without question imo.

Without a doubt. He shouldn’t have played it to Cammy in the 1st place. 

I know I’m a Cammy fan boy but Hamilton had enough time to deal with the pass back. It was Hamilton’s f**k up, without question imo.

Without a doubt. He shouldn’t have played it to Cammy in the 1st place. 

It was McCann’s f**k up.
He shouldn’t have dropped Parish or played Kerr at left back.

Or continued with Eeyore up front.

Apart from that I trust him completely.

18 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

:lol:

15 hours ago, Louis Litt said:

Each day that goes by where we've not signed a striker I become more and more pissed off. It's an absolute joke that we've allowed ourselves to get into this position. When it was clear that AJLS and Murray weren't the answer we should have been out sourcing guys. There's no danger in that timeframe that the only person who's looked decent and/or not knocked us back is Mendy.

Say what you want about Hartley but there's no way he'd have let us get to this point, having been the second lowest scorers in the league last season and replacing 4 outgoing strikers with 1 coming in. He'd probably have got someone signed on a pre-contract in April time.

He definitely has done though. It seems a bit of a mess but he's had trouble with it before and is obviously very anxious about fucking it up so is being quite particular about who he wants and has likely missed out on a lot of targets. He's said as much himself.

I think it's very likely that we'll see movement in on Friday when the English transfer deadline shuts. He's after a Moussa alternative (as he said to the Croatian boy) and a goal scorer.

Last season, I think he probably panicked with the limited time constraints so rushed through Moussa and Wolters who he wouldn't have had a huge deal of info for. The players he's had time to see up close or knows quite well (i.e. Hendry who he knew a bit from United and Kamara who trialled for a while) were a big success. It's maybe worth waiting for, a forward as promising as Kharl or Elton look could make a massive difference.

For what it's worth, I think Mendy has gotten better each game. Didn't have a good instinct first time round but have liked him a little bit more each time I've seen him. His positional awareness is very good and his acceleration is rapid which we saw a few times on Saturday. He's not quite worked out in front of goal yet but the team are still settling and if that gradual improvement continues, I think we might see him batter in a few goals from 1 yard out.

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

He definitely has done though. It seems a bit of a mess but he's had trouble with it before and is obviously very anxious about fucking it up so is being quite particular about who he wants and has likely missed out on a lot of targets. He's said as much himself.

I think it's very likely that we'll see movement in on Friday when the English transfer deadline shuts. He's after a Moussa alternative (as he said to the Croatian boy) and a goal scorer.

Last season, I think he probably panicked with the limited time constraints so rushed through Moussa and Wolters who he wouldn't have had a huge deal of info for. The players he's had time to see up close or knows quite well (i.e. Hendry who he knew a bit from United and Kamara who trialled for a while) were a big success. It's maybe worth waiting for, a forward as promising as Kharl or Elton look could make a massive difference.

For what it's worth, I think Mendy has gotten better each game. Didn't have a good instinct first time round but have liked him a little bit more each time I've seen him. His positional awareness is very good and his acceleration is rapid which we saw a few times on Saturday. He's not quite worked out in front of goal yet but the team are still settling and if that gradual improvement continues, I think we might see him batter in a few goals from 1 yard out.

At what point does being patient because you don't want to bring in the wrong sort of player work against you, though? Realistically, how many decent strikers are going to be in a position right now where they're on a free transfer or at an English club(where we look likely to deal) who're willing to loan them out? Is it literally a case of waiting until the last day of their transfer window and hoping that it all goes right?

And I agree about Mendy, he looked clever enough on Saturday.