All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So we're agreed that the land isn't under the club's ownership?

It’s under the ownership of the holding company, which is the same thing until we go bust at which point they’re different.

That’s how this works, yes?

11 minutes ago, Tibbermoresaint said:

So we're agreed that the land isn't under the club's ownership?

What? Are we in agreement the owners of the club own the land, stadium and complex? That’s if they ever happen. In other words they own the lot. 

Edited by Yenitit

5 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

What? Are we in agreement the owners of the club own the land, stadium and complex? That’s if they ever happen. In other words they own the lot. 

That seems to be the intention. But that wouldn't mean the club would own the complex, which is what your friend asked.

1 hour ago, Fifespud said:

So roughly the same as we got for Hendry who we got for f**k all 6 months ago and we have replaced with a 26 year old England international* ? What’s your point caller?

*Boredomguy doesn’t recognise caps given to players in friendlies that are lost.

My point was you got utterly shafted by the fees received for Hemmings and Stewart 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We get approximately between 3.5k and 4k season ticket holders per season. I assume that's what they are referring to. They do budget for top 6 every season, that is correct.

Speaking as a club owner (;)), this is something that I find difficult to understand to be honest. I totally get that budgeting too conservatively is risky in itself - but setting yourself up for a loss if you finish outside the top 6 seems to me to be totally flawed.  Of course Dundee are the size of club that should be in the Top 6 regularly - but it's unlikely that they'll be in there more than say, 1 in 3 years in a league where OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are all more or less punching their weight - and the final place will normally come down to which other club has a decent season.  Dundee confirmed that they have a core supporter base in line with the town clubs (although they have the potential to be bigger than those clubs when things are going well) - they aren't "bigger enough" to be betting on the top 6 every other year IMO.

Simplistically, if Dundee post a similar loss until the TV deals improve - that's £1m-odd quid down the toilet - and (in the same vein as my club's history of losses and f**k-ups) I'd have thought they would be much more conservative...

Edited by Swello

My point was you got utterly shafted by the fees received for Hemmings and Stewart 

I don't think anyone has ever argued against that point.

You could also flip it and say we brought them both in for nothing, got 50 goals in one season from the 2 of them and at the end of the day made a £750k profit on them.

Speaking as a club owner ([emoji6]), this is something that I find difficult to understand to be honest. I totally get that budgeting too conservatively is risky in itself - but setting yourself up for a loss if you finish outside the top 6 seems to me to be totally flawed.  Of course Dundee are the size of club that should be in the Top 6 regularly - but it's unlikely that they'll be in there more than say, 1 in 3 years in a league where OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs are all more or less punching their weight - and the final place will normally come down to which other club has a decent season.  Dundee confirmed that they have a core supporter base in line with the town clubs (although they have the potential to be bigger than those clubs when things are going well) - they aren't "bigger enough" to be betting on the top 6 every other year IMO.

Simplistically, if Dundee post a similar loss until the TV deals improve - that's £1m-odd quid down the toilet - and (in the same vein as my club's history of losses and f**k-ups) I'd have thought they would be much more conservative...

I totally get that and I'd agree. Nelms said last season that he expects us to make a loss every season until we are in the new stadium and that he's completely fine with that as the club needs gutted inside and out as far as the structure goes.

If we were playing good football and top 6 material, Nelms can count on about a 'core' of 4.5k season ticket holders. 3.5k is an overly conservative estimate which is based on us not selling a single ticket outwith our season tickets. I think there's been a bit of confusion there as it seems like some are assuming that's how many we bring through the gate every week. It's simply not true. We've had a shit season and fans are dropping off every week but our average home support is closer to 5k than it is 3.5k over the course of this season (in recent weeks there's been a large drop off).

As far as the top 6 budget is concerned - I think too much is looked into that. Unless other clubs have an investor or have made a sizeable amount from transfers - we realistically SHOULD have a budget for the top 6. It'll be detached from the top 5 and much closer to the bottom end, but it's not unreasonable to suggest that we will naturally have the largest budget out of the bottom 7 clubs. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to set a target of and budget for the top 6 provided they are willing to cop the losses when it doesn't turn out that way. Thus far, and as I've said, Nelms has said he expects us to make a loss every season until we are in the new stadium describing Dens as a 'noose around the club's neck'.

I can understand the skepticism from fans of other clubs and Dundee fans too, but the board have delivered on everything they've said they would thus far and have accepted a loss for the 4th season in a row now without blinking. Nelms even applied to be on the spfl board - so at least thus far, they look like the real deal.

I'm pretty sure the real intention of the board is to have a money making operation that has the club as it's face, not the crucial component which is fair enough. At least they're laying deep roots.

15 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

These cuntbags are utterly desperate for another club to go bust. Was it the Record which hilariously predicted the demise of five clubs as soon as the ***s weren't allowed to parachute into the second tier? 

MegaLOLz at the headline as well, when the actual statement is pretty much along the lines of "If another 1000 fans fancy turning up regularly, that'd be grand".