All things Dundee FC

Just now, Fifespud said:

I'm not so sure we won't sign a more experienced CH still. Plus a keeper. Not so sure we need/can afford any more midfielders unless we can move some of the shite on. Although there were 2 DM's trialling last night.

I'd be ridiculously excited if Hateley and Vincent absences last night were because they are on their way out (although it's a lot more likely they just have a knock).

I think adding a couple of DMs who can play deep and get fired into the opposition would be the big thing that would really kick us on. I can see something in the two of them and get why they are here but the two midfield trialists last night would have pretty easily blown them over, even if not everybody is convinced on their playing ability. McCann seems to have taken to McGowan as a high pressing player.

The stories of the targets and trialists we've had so far do suggest that McCann does think our midfield is a problem.

Jack Hendry  will be a great signing for you, particularly when you realise that McNamara punted him to us a few years back saying he wasn't good enough, he presto a few months working under a decent manager and Wigan pay us a 6 figure fee for him.

He is a good footballer, and will  be an asset to Dundee, 99% of Jags fans would have been delighted to take him back.

So that's no Meekings. No Crescendo. No Aldred. Guy has promise at least dunno if he'd have been my first choice out of the CH's we were rumoured to be in for but happy with it nonetheless!

Just a keeper, a defensive midfielder and a striker to go.

of them all I would take a bona fide striker. Its amazing how your back 4 has less pressure when the other team is having to account for a dangerous forward line.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

What do my fellow DB's think our formation will be? I'm thinking 4/5/1.

I too am thinking this, although if he wanted to change it to a 4-4-2 we will defiantly need another striker in.

Really looking forward to our new, more physical, line up go up against the Arabs. This might be the time to give them a right hiding. I want to win by at least 3 goals, 4 or 5 would be deelicious.

Really looking forward to our new, more physical, line up go up against the Arabs. This might be the time to give them a right hiding. I want to win by at least 3 goals, 4 or 5 would be deelicious.

If they genuinely do play Scobbie at left back, and your two wingers are genuinely big physical fuckers with pace, then you'd be trying hard not to be creating regular chances.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If they genuinely do play Scobbie at left back, and your two wingers are genuinely big physical fuckers with pace, then you'd be trying hard not to be creating regular chances.

Immensely interesting 

Just been thinking back about last night. Deacon's performance impresses me more every time I think about it. He was giving that Stelios guy a horrible time that they resorted to halfing him to stop him. He was taking the piss out of their back line. The type of player that even when you think you've made a cracking tackle he still manages to recover the ball. McGinn ultimately took a captain responsibility to take him out the game by delivering a swift elbow to the face - but Deacon mugged him off by going round him and breaking into the box - clutching his face in agony whilst he did so.

Certainly won't be calling him a bottler like many wingers tend to be anyways.

We went for 4-3-3 last night with Wighton Rw and Macho Man on the left. Suppose that could be interpreted as 4-5-1 but it was too attacking to be labelled that for my liking.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We went for 4-3-3 last night with Wighton Rw and Macho Man on the left. Suppose that could be interpreted as 4-5-1 but it was too attacking to be labelled that for my liking.

4-3-2-1 Ludo - both sides did same in bounce game between squad training at weekend - Neil said to press after game 'Don't take any notice of tactics tonight - we might play different ways'

4-3-2-1 Ludo - both sides did same in bounce game between squad training at weekend - Neil said to press after game 'Don't take any notice of tactics tonight - we might play different ways'

My biggest surprise was that he sees Curran as a potential RB. Has he played there for the development side?

Eta: It's really semantics calling it 4-3-2-1 tbh, much of a muchness with the 4-3-3, depends how you view it. Same with the 4-5-1 notion.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

My biggest surprise was that he sees Curran as a potential RB. Has he played there for the development side?

I had a wee feeling that would happen. I've not seen him do it in the 20s and don't know if he was there at East Fife though.

He played a bit there covering in the Arbroath winter friendly and was surprised at how he instantly looked really natural there. Likes the game to be played in front of him and has a  really good engine with plenty of will to throw himself into things. He also seemed to have quite a good instinct going forward and linking up with the guy in front of him.

I think he'll be a good player with a bit of mentoring from our more experienced senior pros. He's a bit of a popstar and is prone to a temper tantrum or two with the younger age group but he could potentially be quite a good player if he matures.

Defo a 4-5-1/4-3-3

Gives Allen a chance to move forward from the middle and the attacking width from Wolters and Deacon. Could be a diamond 4 up top at times?

Jack Hendry  will be a great signing for you, particularly when you realise that McNamara punted him to us a few years back saying he wasn't good enough, he presto a few months working under a decent manager and Wigan pay us a 6 figure fee for him.
He is a good footballer, and will  be an asset to Dundee, 99% of Jags fans would have been delighted to take him back.

Really? This Jags fan would have been pretty underwhelmed. He seemed a reasonable prospect in the few games he played but did little down south. I wouldn't expect him to walk into the starting line-up at Dens or Firhill.