All things Dundee FC

Why did the club announce that Crescendo and Rutten were travelling with the squad but not Kamara when he actually was?

Can only assume it's to keep other clubs from knowing we're interested?

Why did the club announce that Crescendo and Rutten were travelling with the squad but not Kamara when he actually was?

Can only assume it's to keep other clubs from knowing we're interested?

lI was wondering this as well. I don't know if it's either that or something to do with the fact that he is still contracted at Arsenal.

lI was wondering this as well. I don't know if it's either that or something to do with the fact that he is still contracted at Arsenal.

Ah, I didn't realise he was still contracted with Arsenal. That's likely why he wasn't announced then.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Jack Ross and Graham Gartland squaring up to each other has to be my highlight of the game. Ross started on McCann and McCann beckoned for his enforcer to deal with the situation.

I's assuming it went something like this:

Ross obv took a fluky at seeing McCann in the Dundee dugout annoyed it wasn't him, so went for a square go at which point McCann laughed in his face, walked away casually while telling Gartland to deal with it and put him in his place telling him to stay in the diddy league?

Edited by dburns

Crescendo got off to a bad start being put under pressure with dodgy pass outs from Bain but I really didn't see enough from him to suggest he's good enough to be any more than a squad type player. Kamara a wee bit more - but I thought the German edged it out of the trialists. On a pound for pound basis I actually thought Lewis was the most impressive and you could see why NM thought he was worth a punt. The 2 wingers have both got very impressive physiques, Midden players just bouncing off them. Physique is something we have been badly lacking so it's magic to see that kind of physicality. Scott Allan is clearly a class act. Agree re Gartland - in my entire nearly 40 years of supporting Dundee we've rarely had more than a water carrier as assistant manager - good to see someone contributing. On the basis of that one performance tonight you'd be hopeful we are appreciably better than last season. Yippee!

Would be very harsh to judge anyone from one game so I'm sure McCann will give them more game time. Was surprised that the trialists all didn't play the full 90 but maybe just lacking match fitness.

Good, solid start to things though. Just wish Bain would learn not to f**k about with the ball when under pressure.

Good time for him to get that lesson.

The Dundee site has Rutten as the forgotten man. They state it was William's that crossed the ball for Haber's goal - it wasn't, it was Rutten. They also say that Spence was the only one to get booked - Rutten was also booked.

Kamara pulled some decent turns but he looked a million miles off the pace. Would need to see him again but he was the weakest player on the park.

Crescendo wasn't much better.

If I were to make a snap decision based on a single half of the first friendly, then neither would have earned contracts.

Nils Rutten is the one of the three to keep an eye on.

A million miles off the pace? Everyone else has said he looked decent.

Yeah - The people around myself certainly didn't think so. Very sloppy, and not up to the races for me but it's all about opinions!, I'd also like to Labour the point that I'm not saying he's not good enough for us, as I've said a few times it'd be more than harsh to write any player off after 45 minutes of football. I was just commenting on what I seen tonight which doesn't give a massive insight because it's so early in our schedule.

I thought he looked decent enough and asserted himself on the game as well as he could have. A few awkward moments early on but that's to be expected.

Rutten did what he had to do fine but game flow had totally changed with the young back line so they had different sorts of challenges.

Crescendo did look out of his comfort zone and was making nervy mistakes for the whole thing. Not particularly big in the air (and didn't seem to have a mental leap) or physical and we never really saw a great reading of the game. Tough circumstances though so maybe there's something there that we never saw reflected but instinct is that he'll be away.

It's pretty difficult to really be conclusive about any in such a small sample size.

I thought he looked decent enough and asserted himself on the game as well as he could have. A few awkward moments early on but that's to be expected.

Rutten did what he had to do fine but game flow had totally changed with the young back line so they had different sorts of challenges.

Crescendo did look out of his comfort zone and was making nervy mistakes for the whole thing. Not particularly big in the air (and didn't seem to have a mental leap) or physical and we never really saw a great reading of the game. Tough circumstances though so maybe there's something there that we never saw reflected but instinct is that he'll be away.

It's pretty difficult to really be conclusive about any in such a small sample size.

Both Kamara and Rutten looked like defensive/holding midfielders and the game was played at a tempo that didn't really show these guys at their best. It was one of the most aggressive friendlies I've ever seen, a real blood and guts Scottish type game, I doubt either had played in many games like that before. As Harry says with all the changes it was hard to compare like with like. A lot of the guys around me were quite impressed by Kamara but he didn't float my boat particularly, he looked more comfortable than Crescendo but to be honest that's not saying much. Out of the central midfielders McGowan, Allan and Young Lewis stood out.
Of the wingers Deacon shaded it for me over Wolters but Deacon played in the half when we were attacking the goal we were all sitting behind so it was easier to see what he was doing so maybe that's why but both are fucking powerful boys - Johnny Hayes types.

Did Wolters and Deacon play on the opposite wings or was it a straight swap? 

Wolters played on the left and Deacon started on the right and switched to the left. Deacon looked like he could really dangerous.

Both sides were physical, particularly St Mirren in the last quarter of the game but it's probably fair to say we started it! Young Spence needs to control himself a bit but he looked completely unfazed by moving up a league. Tackled, got on the ball, played beat one twos, kicked and at one staged punched.

24 minutes ago, Moo said:

I wasn't there last but the best thing I've read is St Mirren fans labelling us as dirty and physical. Fucking yasss, been crying out for that for years now.

I know! Wingers with drive, physical players, hard Assistant Managers, a creative midfielder, a free scoring centre half and a sharp looking manager!

image.gif

Yes chaps, this all new robust football is progress. We've been so namby pamby, certainly in midfield for ages, getting knocked of the ball by feathers and lace doilies, so some physical fortitude coupled with ability sounds like improvement. It's the league cup that will tell how good the improvement is, as last year we were insipid and delicate against both East Fife and Peterhead who both muscled us into ignominy.
Btw Cammy Kerr is exonerated of any collective accusation of being namby pamby.