All things Dundee FC

If I remember rightly though, he wasn't especially pish, he was just one of those typical dundee "wingers" like conroy and a hundreds others that were hyped to be awesome but could only get a free kick or cross on target once a season

Conroy masqueraded as a winger you are right, but he had a magic left foot. Several goals from free kicks come to mind: then a belter at Dumbarton from outside the box in a 4-1 win; and of course a thunderous wallop into the Tangerine net the day The White Cafu was dismissed very early on for insisting that some United player eat his elbow.
I'm afraid I can't remember anything at all with respect to Gilhaney!
Happy to appreciate any suggestions you might have.
Cheers

4 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I saw that last night and just laughed. The journalist was George Cran who has written some pish about us this season but that article takes the biscuit. Our finances like every other team will increase with the subsequent departure of a Inverness and arrival of Hibs by probably 2000 paying customers per season. 

Pity that hasn't registered with George. 

Our pre-split fixtures next season should be:

2x at home vs:

Hearts
Hibs
St Johnstone
Motherwell
Ross County

1x at home vs:

Celtic
(The) Rangers
Aberdeen
Hamilton
Kilmarnock
Partick Thistle

So while our 1st-3rd biggest crowds are only guaranteed to come once, we get our 4th-6th (arguably 7th with Motherwell) twice.

Notice as well that we get Hamilton at Dens once. That means we'd have only had one guaranteed home derby had United come up.

That was the year we were chasing Hamilton pretty much all season. They tried to unsettle us by getting Derek Lyle (!) to sign a pre-contract agreement in January, and we ended up with Gilhaney!!

They did do that only watering the one side of the pitch thing at half time, and we lost 2-0 if memory serves.

You'd have to be a mentalist to turn down Dundee if you were at St Mirren.

No idea why some of the west coast lads seem to think St Mirren and the like are up there with the Dundee clubs. There's a clear top 7 in Scotland and both Dundee clubs are in it.

Not really. He is onto a good thing with st mirren and dundee are a gang. The first division wont be particularly strong so good chance to win the league which would only
Improve his stock and get him a better team than dundee.

Courier are apparently saying there's a £20,000 buy out clause for Ross (Which has to be complete nonsense, surely?!). They're also running with the story that we want to speak to Jim McIntyre as well which is a bit bizarre.

Its a load of shite there is no buy out.

Not really. He is onto a good thing with st mirren and dundee are a gang. The first division wont be particularly strong so good chance to win the league which would only
Improve his stock and get him a better team than dundee.

Dundee are probably a marginally bigger club in a higher division. He could have some bad luck with injuries and the St Mirren fans screaming for his head in 10 months time. With us he will half a top 6 budget - if he's got anything about him, he'll listen to what's on offer but I'd reckon it's far from a done deal.

Put yourself in Jack Ross' shoes.

Q) Are you a Dundee fan?

A) Yes

Q) Do you want the Dundee job?

A) Yes

True.
Also reasonable to ask
How much utter dross has been left under contract by the previous permanent manager?
I recall from a radio interview that Ross had basically moved 10 out and 10 in at St Mirren and wouldn't be surprised if anyone coming in here would want to do the same.
Would that be feasible?

True.
Also reasonable to ask
How much utter dross has been left under contract by the previous permanent manager?
I recall from a radio interview that Ross had basically moved 10 out and 10 in at St Mirren and wouldn't be surprised if anyone coming in here would want to do the same.
Would that be feasible?

It's a good question. I have no idea. I hope so though or we're fucked!

Is it just me but I dont get the buzz about Jack Ross? 

He kept St Mirren in the Championship with a squad of players that should of been pushing for promotion imo. 

And he did not bad at Alloa, well so did Hartley.

I just cant get excited about this one.

24 minutes ago, Muggy said:

...Aaaand am I the only one who is sceptical about the Americans? Perhaps Jack Ross, being a Dundee fan, shares that scepticism.

I think it's pretty natural given the folk we've had in the past tbh, nothing to do with the way they've went about things 

29 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is it just me but I dont get the buzz about Jack Ross? 

He kept St Mirren in the Championship with a squad of players that should of been pushing for promotion imo. 

And he did not bad at Alloa, well so did Hartley.

I just cant get excited about this one.

The squad he inherited were rotten, Alex Rae (remember him?) signed some amount of dross. Ross took over in October and with that team only won about 2 games iirc.

We crawled into the January transfer window where JR punted 10 players and signed 10. From then on we hit some amount of form, title challenging form, battering most teams on the way. We played some great attacking football, stuck 4 past Morton, 5 past Raith and 6 past Ayr, all in huge pressure matches near the end of the season. Looking at the table we were only 1 defeat away from League 1 football, he managed to overhaul a 19 point gap Raith had over us, Ayr were 11/12 points ahead of us at one point.

When I first heard the rumour my reaction was he is offski. Dundee are in a more attractive position than ourselves at the minute and even when we were top flight we could never offer top 6 wages. 

From what I heard last night and today we won't entertain you guys though. In fact have just seen this tweet. Only way its going to change is if JR informs the club he wants to leave, you'd imagine

St Mirren Chairman Gordon Scott has told Dundee that Jack Ross is under contract & won't be giving the Dens Park club permission to speak!

3 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The squad he inherited were rotten, Alex Rae (remember him?) signed some amount of dross. Ross took over in October and with that team only won about 2 games iirc.

We crawled into the January transfer window where JR punted 10 players and signed 10. From then on we hit some amount of form, title challenging form, battering most teams on the way. We played some great attacking football, stuck 4 past Morton, 5 past Raith and 6 past Ayr, all in huge pressure matches near the end of the season. Looking at the table we were only 1 defeat away from League 1 football, he managed to overhaul a 19 point gap Raith had over us, Ayr were 11/12 points ahead of us at one point.

When I first heard the rumour my reaction was he is offski. Dundee are in a more attractive position than ourselves at the minute and even when we were top flight we could never offer top 6 wages. 

From what I heard last night and today we won't entertain you guys though. In fact have just seen this tweet. Only way its going to change is if JR informs the club he wants to leave, you'd imagine

St Mirren Chairman Gordon Scott has told Dundee that Jack Ross is under contract & won't be giving the Dens Park club permission to speak!

Out of curiosity, who were the 10 he took in and who in the first team did he keep?

Its also all very well the St Mirren chairman saying that, however money talks n' all that.

Big blow for Dundee with McInnes all but gone from Aberdeen. Imagine they'll go after Neil first, but if he turns them down?...

Just now, johnnydun said:

Out of curiosity, who were the 10 he took in and who in the first team did he keep?

Its also all very well the St Mirren chairman saying that, however money talks n' all that.

Billy O'Brien GK on loan from Man City, Stellios lb/rb , Davis centre back from Crewe Alexandria - brilliant until he dislocated his knee, Pjal - Norwegian defender, more of a squad player didnt make an impact, Eckersley ex Hearts n Hibs, great signing, Stephen McGinn - turned our season around, Craig Storie &  Cammy Smith from Aberdeen, Josh Todd from Dumbarton & Loy from yourselves. Added them to the youthful mix of Mallan, Morgan and Maggenis and we were so good.

I believe the Chairman has been keeping in contact with JR who is on holiday just now, don't think he'd have came out with that if JR wasn't onside with it. Now just watch Dundee turn his head overnight :lol:.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I believe the Chairman has been keeping in contact with JR who is on holiday just now, don't think he'd have came out with that if JR wasn't onside with it. Now just watch Dundee turn his head overnight :lol:.

The announcement tomorrow comes after discussion between Scott and Ross today. I would hope that we have shown him the money with an improved contract !