All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Vincent has been excellent and easily one of our best players recently

I agree Vincent is one of our better players. I don't mind having him next season. But lets look at our squad that are under contract for next season and who don't have to go anywhere if they don't want to (adding in McGowan who will definitely be offered a contract and Holt who deserves one).

Bain, Kerr, O'Dea, Holt, McPake, O'Hara, Wighton, Loy, McGowan,  Hateley, Low, Julen, Williams, Yordi, Haber, El-Bak.

Sixteen players signed up. Basically a full squad of the same old shite as this season. Now lets look at Hartleys comment after signing the new deal:

"I've had total support from the board. I try to run the footballing side and that's what I'm paid to do, to try and bring the squad together, and the club have been fantastic so far: everything that I've asked for they've provided us with it."

He's totally responsible for having amassed the incredible amount of dross that we have signed up for next season. It doesn't say much about the faith he has in Hateley or Ross (another coup) that we drafted in Klok this January.

25 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

The only thing id ask but I know you don't like getting asked questions is say we get rid of all the shite players we have, that leaves us with about two or three good players, let's get rid of the manager also, who do we bring in that would or could do a better job ?

I agree I hate when Hartley cokes out with shite about cup runs and entertaining football when reality is we did/do none of these.
But get yourself back to dens , it beats all the years of being in the first division, watching midweek games of Dundee v Dumbarton or getting beat by alloa.

I've said before i'm not a board member and won't see the applicants. I can't say who the man to take us forward would be, the board who get paid for this would have to show some initiative and prove their worth. It's very simple to understand G-Man. 

20 minutes ago, Psychedelic said:

C'mon, worst to watch in a decade? You just lost all credibility with that one. Every time we have a poor result this nonsense gets wheeled out - I've seen plenty worse Dundee sides than this one and I'm only 25.

Scottish football is what it is, every side in the league apart from Celtic struggles with erratic form most seasons. You've clearly made your mind up though, so just support Manchester United and Real Madrid and be done with it.

I said the season's been the worst on the whole to watch, not the team. We're struggling with erratic form because the manager continually plays the same players who are major parts in this erratic form. There's not a chance we'll make top 6 this season so just stop the fucking delusion. 

Another thicko, but that's not a surprise. However, what improvement can be expected over four years to quote the Einstein of Dundee threads.

Thank you. 

Would the fact it a brand new stadium with no history not make it the perfect moment for Dundee and Dundee United to look at ground-sharing,

Halves the building costs and upkeep between them. Would be too much with history to share Dens or Tannadice.

Mirror image stands either side with offices and dressing rooms so you both have your own set if required.

If it about maximising finances for on fiedl activity would think it an idea.

Just now, MEADOWXI said:

Would the fact it a brand new stadium with no history not make it the perfect moment for Dundee and Dundee United to look at ground-sharing,

Halves the building costs and upkeep between them. Would be too much with history to share Dens or Tannadice.

Mirror image stands either side with offices and dressing rooms so you both have your own set if required.

If it about maximising finances for on fiedl activity would think it an idea.

No DAB's at new Dens. Thank you.

I agree with some of the points being made above but I really can't help this is a major over reaction. We were all on here the past few days saying we would have taken a draw last night, and if Darren O'Dea had just booted that ball over the derry like he should have done we would have got that draw and none of this would be happening. We've just come off the back of some exceptional form. Before last night we had taken a total of 17/21 points at home and won by the biggest away margin in Scottish football this season.

Regarding the 2/3 year deals I don't see the problem. This is players careers after all so they're going to want some assurance, especially the ones who have families to look after so I imagine the longer term deals had to be done in order to bring these players in. Of course some of these players are going to be flops. We can't afford to pay a transfer fee for players so the risk involved in bringing these players in is very high. I actually think the majority of what he's brought in this season has been not too bad. Add that to Hemmings, Stewart, McGinn, Holt, Bain, O'Dea etc. and HArtley has done pretty well.

Dundee fans are a fickle bunch at times, and you never seem to get overreactions like this at other clubs similar to us. For example Pogba at Thistle. He was woeful but you didn't see any fans slamming the manager for signing him. They just took the piss more than anything.

2 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

I agree with some of the points being made above but I really can't help this is a major over reaction. We were all on here the past few days saying we would have taken a draw last night, and if Darren O'Dea had just booted that ball over the derry like he should have done we would have got that draw and none of this would be happening. We've just come off the back of some exceptional form. Before last night we had taken a total of 17/21 points at home and won by the biggest away margin in Scottish football this season.

Regarding the 2/3 year deals I don't see the problem. This is players careers after all so they're going to want some assurance, especially the ones who have families to look after so I imagine the longer term deals had to be done in order to bring these players in. Of course some of these players are going to be flops. We can't afford to pay a transfer fee for players so the risk involved in bringing these players in is very high. I actually think the majority of what he's brought in this season has been not too bad. Add that to Hemmings, Stewart, McGinn, Holt, Bain, O'Dea etc. and HArtley has done pretty well.

Dundee fans are a fickle bunch at times, and you never seem to get overreactions like this at other clubs similar to us. For example Pogba at Thistle. He was woeful but you didn't see any fans slamming the manager for signing him. They just took the piss more than anything.

I've said the same all season - no overreaction. Also the tail end of last season, relegating United was the only positive in another pathetic, weak, season of displays, where McGowan and Julen were still playing.

Changes are needed, but i've had my say now. I'll remain quiet until everyone starts to panic after the next set of fixtures where we'll pick up very little.

Thank you. 

Surprised there is not more people discussing the new stadium plans. It's a pretty big deal. The spiritual home of Dens, no more. A few questions for dundee fans:

What do you think of the new location?

How big should the new stadium be?

Is this what Dundee fans want?

Surprised there is not more people discussing the new stadium plans. It's a pretty big deal. The spiritual home of Dens, no more. A few questions for dundee fans:

1. Meh.

2. 15,000 max.

3. For the club to move forward it has to happen.

Shame nobody ever explored the waterfront stadium idea mooted a while ago(or did I dream it). Practically the new location is ok.

15000 absolute max 13000 more realistically.

I hate the thought of not going to Dens, but I understand the logic. If it doesn't come off I won't be heartbroken.

Location is decent, all things considered. Would have preferred riverside or something.

Would hate if it was any bigger than about 12k. We simply don't need the extra capacity which would only hamper the atmosphere. The thought of a 6k crowd in a 15k stadium with flags covering the seats (ala Killie) gives me the fear.

Think most fans appreciate the memories that Dens holds but understand it's no longer fit for purpose considering it's costing us money every year.

Good to see Dundee fans with some ambition and suggesting 15,000 as a suitable capacity.

I'm sick of clubs bringing out new stadiums with smaller capacities, such as St Mirren and Aberdeen.

Hopefully the Americans behind the idea will use their imagination and actually make a decent modern stadium - unlike the generic bowl Dons fans will soon be treated to.

What about redoing Dens? It's only the two side stands that need done up no?

We don't own it and doing it up still wouldn't allow us to use it for other commercial reasons.

I'm surprised so many Dee's are for it. I completely understand it and understand that Dens may hold us back to a certain extent.

So f**k though.

Dens is the ground my great grandfather watched Dundee play in. Dens is the pitch which Dundee have played on for more than 100 years.

As much as I defend our current board I think it's a slap in the face that they came in with big promises that they'd buy the ground and do it up - then as soon as they take charge and without consulting the fans they make plans to relocate us after 117 year of Dens.

The more I think about it the angrier I get. I don't care if Dens is crumbling, it's Dundee FC's home. I don't care if other clubs are doing it, because I don't support other clubs.

If we are basing our stadium on Rotherham's - it cost them £20 million to build that stadium. I'm not having that Dens can't be purchased and made into a multi-purpose arena for less than that.

The Americans want headlines though. They want something to show for their investment. I understand that. It doesn't mean I'll ever accept it though.

Dens Park will always be our home for me.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

I don't think anybody actually believes it's going to happen.  The idea got wheeled out when Hemmings/Stewart were sold and it's resurfaced after the accounts were published.  :whistle

I think a new stadium would be great tbh, but I'm probably in the minority there.  I'd prefer a 'bowl' of 14000/15000.  I realise it'd rarely be full but I don't think it's too crazy a size.  It would make a great neutral venue if ever there was a need for one in the area (I've had a couple of great days at McDiarmid as a neutral venue).    

And there would surely be a discussion on safe-standing.  This would please many supporters.

The more I read about this the shit*r it sounds, just like the new Aberdeen stadium. I'd rather have a duffed up home than some bland, plastic stadium modelled on an English lower league ground.

I understand the economics behind it all though so it's probably necessary if achievable. I just wish the proposals had a bit more imagination about them.

I will be gutted if we move from Dens, however you have to let the head rule the heart here, if we are to progress as a club and more importantly make the club sustainable, then it has to be done.

I think they should make it more of a complex than just a stadium, such as a couple of bars, one for home support one for away, a bookies, sports shops and possibly a few rooms for supporters coming from distance. That would also bring in more revenue.

However nobody has answered my earlier more important question.....

Whats happening with my brick? 

Totally agree re the 3 year contracts Dee Man and have said so repeatedly. I couldn't really give a f**k about players families' security because if by giving 3 year contracts puts the entire club at risk, where is the security then? Where is there any security in a job these days? We have to cut our cloth. We probably have the 6th biggest revenue in the league so having the 6th biggest budget is hardly surprising - I mean if it wasn't us it might be Motherwell - that would be just as stupid on paper, but unless the bottom 7 clubs had identical budgets someone's got to be 6th - no?

The new stadium is a total pipe dream as far as I can see. With regard to the 200k upkeep (and I see little evidence of this figure) a new stadium costing say 12M and depreciated at the standard 2% would cost us 240k in depreciation (no building last forever). I'll believe it when the diggers move onto the site.

The biggest problem with the team is still lack of confidence and to an extent 'dig'. Thistle started knocking over our guys when they lost possession and the bottles cracked. Balls that could be trapped were chipped back, high balls that could have been brought down were head lobbed back, defenders in tightish positions put the ball back to the keeper who punted it back, forwards in a semi tight spot played outlandish flicks or back heels - 'oh that didn't work but I at least tried something' - basically means 'not my fault' but possession is again given away. Rather than going back to the keeper you'd be better to boot it out for a throw in deep in opposition territory - rugby style - at least you might then win possession back deep in enemy territory.

Everybody is way to hard on Gowser - he is the ONLY player who always tries to play football - other than Cammy. O'Dea was defo fouled for the goal last night too. Haber is a good signing, as are Vincent and O'Hara. Ojama too but I would say it was a game too many for him last night and his lack of fitness showed, possibly with Wighton too. There is also a lack of communication in our team too - I never hear 'TIME' or 'MAN ON' or 'KEEPERS BALL' being screamed. If Julen did get a shout last night he deserves a cunting because he had plenty of time. Rant over!!

37 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

The more I read about this the shit*r it sounds, just like the new Aberdeen stadium. I'd rather have a duffed up home than some bland, plastic stadium modelled on an English lower league ground.

I understand the economics behind it all though so it's probably necessary if achievable. I just wish the proposals had a bit more imagination about them.

What kind of things do you mean?  If not a logo-land McDiarmid (which I don't mind tbh) or an English lower league inspired effort what is there?

The best thing I've seen in recent years is a rugby league ground which has terracing behind the goals and seating up the sides, and it's all close-knit and compact.  

The days of terracing with (cow)sheds are behind us :(