All things Dundee FC

Just read on Dundee's website that Ross, Vincent, Williams and Klok all played in the U20's Development League 2-0 win against Dunfermline.

The report goes on to say "Ross and Vincent have done their chances of featuring against Rangers no harm" and "Klok will benefit from 90 minutes under his belt".  No mention of Williams.

Fair to assume he didn't even impress in an U20's match or did the reporter just forget to mention him in the summing up?

Anyone at the game or heard from someone at the game?

I liked Yordi.

Same. Was looking forward to his development. Especially as Hartley said we would see the best of him next season, shortly before throwing him in the first team and breaking his confidence.
Not sure we'll see him back.

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Just read on Dundee's website that Ross, Vincent, Williams and Klok all played in the U20's Development League 2-0 win against Dunfermline.

The report goes on to say "Ross and Vincent have done their chances of featuring against Rangers no harm" and "Klok will benefit from 90 minutes under his belt".  No mention of Williams.

Fair to assume he didn't even impress in an U20's match or did the reporter just forget to mention him in the summing up?

Anyone at the game or heard from someone at the game?

Williams was played at centre forward against Dunfermline and also last week against St Johnstone. Did okay, but obviously not his true position. Best players on the park were Waddell, Vincent and Ross. Young Brian Rice also did well at full back. Klok came into it more once Vincent and Ross were taken off.

8 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Williams was played at centre forward against Dunfermline and also last week against St Johnstone. Did okay, but obviously not his true position. Best players on the park were Waddell, Vincent and Ross. Young Brian Rice also did well at full back. Klok came into it more once Vincent and Ross were taken off.

Thanks Den.  Hope Vincent gets on against Rangers from the start.

Good to hear Kerr is playing well. He loves the broath.

Matty Smyth made his debut for us on Saturday, came into the team at the last minute after Ricky Little pulled up injured. Put in a very good shift and scored a good goal. Hopefully he gets a run of games for us.

Other than Youths we have the following out of contract with ourselves in the summer:

David Mitchell
Kevin Gomis
Kostadin Gadzhalov
Marc Klok
Nick Ross
Henrik Ojamaa (Loan)

If I was Hartley I'd be inclined to let them all go barring Ojamaa if possible and Gadz.

David Mitchell - Suspect Bain will be off in the summer as he'll be in the situation Greg Stewart was this summer in that he will only have 1 year left on his contract and probably not willing to sign on again. That means getting in another keeper will be a priority. This might mean Mitchell gets handed another contract as needing to look for two quality keepers will be a difficult job when Mitchell is steady if unglamorous back up. Lots of things come into it though - perhaps Mitchell is fed up waiting for his chance or perhaps he'll expect to be number 1 when Bain leaves.

I'd let Mitchell go, but would understand the reasoning in keeping him.

Kevin Gomis - Has the ability and physical attributes to be the best defender at the club by a distance. Woefully inconsistent and his head doesn't always seem to be in the game which makes him a bombscare and in my opinion our second poorest CH at the club. We have an abundance of CH's at the club and if Hartley wants to improve on the defence then Gomis is the natural choice as the others are all tied up which means Julen is a very lucky guy.

Kostadin Gadzhalov - Cult hero who I expect to be released. Mass rumours that the wage he is on is so low it's on par with some of our youth players. Cracking CH who deserves a new contract but with Julen, O'Dea and McPake in contract and our apparent rumoured interest in Shaughnessy, Considine and Meekings means it looks bleak for the Bulgarian. Thankfully we dodged a bullet when St Johnstone re-signed Shaughnessy and obviously Aberdeen re-signed Considine the other day, so there is still hope. That said, Hartley's comments after Haber signed his new deal didn't sound too promising.

Marc Klok - I'm going to be incredibly harsh and say he's not good enough and will be released. That's extremely unfair on a guy that clearly isn't up to speed as of yet and has played less than 90 minutes in total since he's signed. I can only judge from what I've seen thus far and it's looked sloppy. Couple of decent corners and a through ball to Kerr aside, he made us look like we missed Tom Hateley on Saturday when he came on and that was a concern. He has half a season to get up to speed and impress Hartley though and he must have already made some sort of impression by earning a contract in the first place and already being our second set-piece taker. Plenty of time for him to make his mark.

Nick Ross - Fortunately for Nick Ross he's no worse than any of the other centre midfielders we have at the club. Unfortunately, he's the main one out of contract in a position we have been struggling. I like Ross, he's a classy player but he's too similar to what we have. I'd be happy to keep him but we need a rejig in the midfield area and he's the one that would logically make sense to leave in the summer.

Henrik Ojamaa - Ojamaa is 25 and we are his 12th club, he'll need to settle down at a club at some point or he'll become the next Antoine Curier. He looks off the pace but has already shown encouraging signs. He has another year on his contract with Go Ahead Eagles so a lot will depend on if they want to keep him or not and indeed, like Klok, how he gets on with us in the next 6 months. Unlike Klok I won't make a bold or harsh statement. Could go either way but I'd be surprised to see him at Dens next season either way as if he does do well, I can't see Go Ahead Eagles offloading him for nothing.

It's a bit of a shame that some of our better 'squad members' are out of contract in the summer when the likes of Low, Julen and Williams are tied up for longer.

Next summer is a crucial one as we have a lot of important players in their final year such as Bain, Kerr and O'Hara.

If Gadz doesn't get offered a competitive new contract and Julen stays that will be a disgrace and a real indication of the mess the board / Hartley have made with contracts.  

What about Loy?  Is his loan not only until the end of the season?   Is he not another one that was given a 3 year contract and still has a year to go?

I'd get shot of Mitchell at the first opportunity. Jumping into his own net with the ball and fortuitously not have the goal given and looking nervous on the few opportunities he's had does not fill me with confidence for having him as the regular number 1 or even as back up for that matter. 

Sell Bain, punt Mitchell, get Mannus off St Johnstone and get a decent keeper from the lower leagues as back up. 

Papers running with the story that Bain has informed the club he won't be signing any new deals. No surprises there. Time for a clean break in the summer and hopefully done early enough so that Hartley has some cash to play with.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

I'd get shot of Mitchell at the first opportunity. Jumping into his own net with the ball and fortuitously not have the goal given and looking nervous on the few opportunities he's had does not fill me with confidence for having him as the regular number 1 or even as back up for that matter. 

Sell Bain, punt Mitchell, get Mannus off St Johnstone and get a decent keeper from the lower leagues as back up. 

Exactly this. 

21 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

"We are not a selling club"emoji28.png

Stewart, Hemmings and now Bain. Starting to really not trust these American owners, the fact that they never speak out is also worrying.

Oh dear.

What exactly are we meant to do in this situation? We're a shite, middle of the road Scottish side. Bain can easily triple his salary by going down South... of course we're a selling side, alongside most other teams in this league. If we can get some cash before he inevitably disappears, we should do it.

Also, what exactly have the owners done to cause distrust? They've backed Hartley every year and allowed him to bring the players you mention (Stewart, Hemmings and Bain) in from utter obscurity... We've played awful football for at least two seasons now; no wonder Bain wants to go elsewhere.

Edited by LiamDFC

Oh dear.
What exactly are we meant to do in this situation? We're a shite, middle of the road Scottish side. Bain can easily triple his salary by going down South... of course we're a selling side, alongside most other teams in this league. If we can get some cash before he inevitably disappears, we should do it.
Also, what exactly have the owners done to cause distrust? They've backed Hartley every year and allowed him to bring the players you mention (Stewart, Hemmings and Bain) in from utter obscurity... We've played awful football for at least two seasons now; no wonder Bain wants to go elsewhere.

Why do I not have full trust in the owners? For the exact reasons you have stated. We are a below average SPL club who play shite football yet we're still charged obscene amounts week in week out. They've spent over £1 million in a piece of land which we have no idea what for. I have no issue with us being a selling club, my issue is with the owners coming out last season saying that we're not then we lose our 2 best players the summer after. United will get more in add one for Andy Robertson than we got for Hemmings and Stewart together FFS.

I would much rather have held onto Greg Stewart and lost him for free in the summer than get a minuscule fee for him leaving us with absolutely no creativity. You're right, they have out their trust in Hartley in the transfer market, far too much for my liking.

So what if they have paid £1 million for a piece of land? Who's to say that piece of land is even related to us?

Yes - United will get more for Robertson than we did for Hemmings and Stewart because he was a much bigger talent than either of them.

Being a 'below average' top flight side is a damn sight better than being a struggling, middling first division side that we were when they came to the club.

We aren't a selling club, but our owners aren't stupid either, they are businessmen at the end of the day and Stewart could have left for nothing - unlike yourself Ross (And I mean no disrespect) but only a moron would have held on and let him leave for nothing. It's just not financially viable for us unless we expect the Americans to pump lots of money in whilst we mump and moan about ticket prices. Hemmings clause was also unfortunate but understandable.

As for replacement keepers, assuming Speroni is just a pipe dream, Danny Rogers would be my bet. Say we make £250k off Bain - nice wee £100k investment in Rogers as his replacement and we have another keeper that'll hopefully net us another sale a couple of years down the line. Can't see him displacing Joe Lewis and £100k might be enough to tempt them.

f**k Mannus. He's overrated.

They've spent their own money on something not under the clubs name and we must know!!1!
Get a hud of yourself Ross, you utter fanny. We are not below average, we are average. As evidenced by our mid table position. You'd rather let our best players contract run down and lose our greatest asset for free? That'll be why you're not a manager, or in any position of responsibility (I hope) then. The board have put "too much trust" in Hartley? What does that even mean?
We lost our two best players and are readjusting this season. That's how football goes. Chill the f**k out and accept that.