All things Dundee FC

Gadz and O'Dea are my two first choice CH. Gomis and Julen are far too erratic but I'd have Gomis ahead of Julen.

If McPake returns the same player I think he'd work extremely well with O'Dea and Gadz.

If Julen was given a new deal it would be enough to make me stop going for the season.
I've seen that he's dreadful for over a year, so how the fuck have the management team not.

He's tied up for another 18 months anyways.

O'Hara as 1 of 3 centrehalfs is a good shout, which would also allow Hartley to play his latest midfield signing. O'Dea would talk him through the game and help keep him right. 

Having seen Julen at both penalties it's hard to believe he'd be as stupid to commit the same foul at the 2nd one. He's just not learning from his previous errors. 

O'Hara as 1 of 3 centrehalfs is a good shout, which would also allow Hartley to play his latest midfield signing. O'Dea would talk him through the game and help keep him right. 

Having seen Julen at both penalties it's hard to believe he'd be as stupid to commit the same foul at the 2nd one. He's just not learning from his previous errors. 

Yip. Watched the highlights, he'd be better at wrestling. Gomis is honking too. Positionally clueless, clumsy and the touch of a horse.

I normally stick up for Gowser but those 2 shots, fûck sake. Steven Thomson was quite funny when he blasted over the bar - 'think that one came off his tag'!

Gadz and O'Dea are my two first choice CH. Gomis and Julen are far too erratic but I'd have Gomis ahead of Julen.

If McPake returns the same player I think he'd work extremely well with O'Dea and Gadz.

I'll be amazed if we see McPake at full strength this season to be honest. Not even made the bench yet. Normally 4-6 games to get match fit, he's running out of time. Whilst hardly brilliant he'd look like Beckenbeaur next to those 2 clowns.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

^^^ This for me ^^^

Eta - even if McPake is walking with a stick...

Edited by locheedee

My worry is that I think he was struggling quite badly in his second season. He had a hip problem IIRC and flogged quite a few goals in the first few months of the season and really seemed to be declining. The week before his injury in the Derby, he put in a dreadful performance at Ross County.

Just hoping he's clear of whatever those niggly injuries were too as first season McPake was brilliant. No one really realised his importance at the time and opposition fans would mock him because of the odd bad highlight moment but the team he was playing in had nothing in front of him and it was just really McPake and Konrad (or Davo) against the world.

50 minutes ago, harry94 said:

My worry is that I think he was struggling quite badly in his second season. He had a hip problem IIRC and flogged quite a few goals in the first few months of the season and really seemed to be declining. The week before his injury in the Derby, he put in a dreadful performance at Ross County.

Just hoping he's clear of whatever those niggly injuries were too as first season McPake was brilliant. No one really realised his importance at the time and opposition fans would mock him because of the odd bad highlight moment but the team he was playing in had nothing in front of him and it was just really McPake and Konrad (or Davo) against the world.

I think he was totally scapegoated in that game at County because the midfield of Ross and McGowan that day were an absolute shambles and made the 2 CH's look bad. Both of them were bullied for 90 minutes and failed to follow runners from midfield. We were on a hiding to nothing and there wasn't much the defence could do.

I still think he'll have at least 1 good season left in him. His attitude since being out has been brilliant and won't give anything less than 100% when he's back.

1 hour ago, (._.) said:

McPake was never 'brilliant'. He'll give his all and flies into tackles and that's wonderful - as long as he is winning the tackles. 

Far too often you'd find him miles out of position tackling midfielders on the half way line. If he see's a problem, communicate. Don't cause an even bigger void closer to the goal than you see. 

It's just a hunch but I reckon that the partners McPake has played with made it much worse. A lot of very good defenders seem to get caught out in poor positions at times because the communication they give out to order someone else through a match isn't reciprocated. I think O'Dea does the same with Julen.

I get your point but I do think there is potential that we'd see him at his best with O'Dea or the more settled Gadzhalov that we've seen. Konrad was decent enough and put in some very good displays for us but we had to drag McPake all over the place to accommodate for some of the aerial battles that he couldn't win.

O Hara was one of our biggest threats going forward and a big part of the reason we looked more dangerous against Inverness. 

When he plays in an advanced role behind the strikers he has done quite well. His bit of skill and cut back for the goal-line scramble on Saturday was superb. Also thought he done well at Parkhead when he come on and played just behind Haber. 

He has to stay in an advanced position for me. 

We didn't do too badly through at Tynecastle when Holt played LCB and Williams played LWB. It wouldn't be ideal but it would possibly do for a game or 2 if Gadz still isn't fit. Julen simply must be dropped no matter what. 

2 hours ago, (._.) said:

McPake was never 'brilliant'. He'll give his all and flies into tackles and that's wonderful - as long as he is winning the tackles. 

Far too often you'd find him miles out of position tackling midfielders on the half way line. If he see's a problem, communicate. Don't cause an even bigger void closer to the goal than you see. 

Completely agree with your assessment. 

However with the way Julen and Gomis are playing I would take him over those 2 at the moment. Would be interested to see if he was as rash in his positioning if he was playing alongside O'Dea. 

5 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

I think he was totally scapegoated in that game at County because the midfield of Ross and McGowan that day were an absolute shambles and made the 2 CH's look bad. Both of them were bullied for 90 minutes and failed to follow runners from midfield. We were on a hiding to nothing and there wasn't much the defence could do.

I still think he'll have at least 1 good season left in him. His attitude since being out has been brilliant and won't give anything less than 100% when he's back.

Just over a year later we get battered at Aberdeen with - guess who - Ross and McGowan in the midfield. Hartley has taken this team absolutely nowhere over the course of 2016, which is unforgivable. I like Hartley, but he has to go at the season's end. Don't trust the man to make the necessary changes seeing as the cunt fills his squads with 40% centre midfielders, continously.

The only worry that arises with Hartley going is that we get someone new in and he gives the whole squad a chance, as happens regularly. This meaning we'd go into the start of next season with the same old shite, and the specific changes needed going unfixed.

Edited by Dundee-FC92