• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs

I don't think anyone was in any doubt that Stewart and and Hemnings would be sold.  Stewart because the offer was a reasonably good one and Hemmings because of the £250k clause!  That then leaves Hartley knowing he had to get attacking replacements.

When they signed did ANYONE think we signings Yordi, Duffy or Williams were anywhere near good enough?  Did ANYONE think Wighton or El Bak were ready to play week in week out?  Did ANYONE think Loy was good enough?  That only leaves Haber.  He clearly fits the bill for the big punt up the park (I personally don't mind that as long as we get the points) but Hartley himself has repeated numerous times he has (should now definitely read had) a style of play he likes to deploy.

If truth be told Hartley's signings have fallen well short of the required standards.  Too many failed experiments which have left us with a weak first team and an even weaker squad.

That's my thoughts on the attacking situation.  I think there is almost enough quality in the midfield and defence, just!

Got to agree about Hately.  Flatters to deceive.  His tackle against Patterson (I think) from Hearts in front of the Derry just about sums him up!

Who's to say it's not Nelms handing out the long term deals? Hartley proclaimed he didn't know about Hemmings clause and Nelms backed him up on that when he came out and said 'blame me'.

17 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

What have the Americans done ?

Not sure they could have done that much more.  They seem to have at least set the club on the road to a proper financial structure (could all change if we get relegated though)    I know we don't like to think about financial matters but if truth be told it's a policy that has suited St Johnstone very well.

As I understand it the board make available a set amount for players each season and Hartley is allowed to spend it as he sees fit with very little interference from the board.  Has Hartley spent too much on the wages of a few players that just aren't giving enough?   Hately's wages wont be cheap for example.  Gadz and Kerr show better than just about any other players of any club I can think of that you don't have to pay big wages to get a big effort every game!

Nelms in particular places a lot of trust in Hartley.  Will that trust continue?

58 minutes ago, bobbycoxblue said:

He has never let is down yet.. and until he does he deserves our loyalty in my opinion

Do you not feel let down by his transfer business and the teams performances this year?

You say , has Hartley spent to much.... surely he is not in charge of the finances ?
Is this fact or hear say?

Hartley's undoubtedly fucked up this season. No arguments from me.

He has been backed well but he's the one that's enabled us to be able to back him by getting us back in the top flight and the cash that comes with that and also bringing in a few players that we've been able to sell on for cash. Therefore I don't entirely understand that argument.

Unless he gets us relegated he's got enough (or should have at least) enough goodwill in the bank to sort out his mess next season.

Time to rid us with the stigma that we are a sacking club.

Shall I get my pitchfork, lads? It's been a while.

We've been relatively tame tbf compared to Facebook, Mad and the other forum. They've been hounding Hartley for months to be sacked.

39 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Yup that's all I can think they have done.
Just more cowboys?

And charge ridiculous prices whilst having nonsensical ticketing arrangements in place. 

Have you seen the prices for the St Mirren cup game? Scandalous. 

We've been relatively tame tbf compared to Facebook, Mad and the other forum. They've been hounding Hartley for months to be sacked.

The same ones on Facebook etc complaining about St Mirren ticket prices? Even though we've tried to reduce prices in the past and the crowds still don't improve?

And charge ridiculous prices whilst having nonsensical ticketing arrangements in place. 
Have you seen the prices for the St Mirren cup game? Scandalous. 

Hello.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hartley's undoubtedly fucked up this season. No arguments from me.

He has been backed well but he's the one that's enabled us to be able to back him by getting us back in the top flight and the cash that comes with that and also bringing in a few players that we've been able to sell on for cash. Therefore I don't entirely understand that argument.

Unless he gets us relegated he's got enough (or should have at least) enough goodwill in the bank to sort out his mess next season.

Time to rid us with the stigma that we are a sacking club.

High risk strategy Ludo. What if January passes and we get the usual "it's a difficult window" shite? 

We've looked utterly lost in terms of tactics, imagination and skill since Dingwall on day one.

1 minute ago, K.T said:

Even though we've tried to reduce prices in the past and the crowds still don't improve?

Last time we done it the game was in doubt, there were biblical proportion floods, pitch problems and the game was eventually rescheduled more than once if I remember correctly. Was never going to pull a decent crowd. They have got to waken up to the fact they're driving folk away from Dens with their pricing. Young adult and kids prices inparticualr are disgraceful in comparison to almost every other club in the league. 

13 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

You say , has Hartley spent to much.... surely he is not in charge of the finances ?
Is this fact or hear say?

It's fact that there is a set budget each season for playing staff is it not?  I personally think it is fair to assume that Hartley will have at least some knowledge as to what wages are being demanded by a potential new recruit for the following reason:

If I was the manager and told I only had £250,000 of new money (assuming players could not be sold on) to spend on new recruits and I knew I had to bring in at least 5 players to improve the squad I would surely have to known what wages any potential new recruit was requesting.

If for example St johnstone's Paul Paton (keeping it interesting for Random Guy!) was one of my targets I may be happy that he eats up (no pun intended) one tenth of my £250,000 budget.  If on the other hand Paton demanded £200,000 I would know I would have very little to play with for the further 4 new recruits I thought were essential to strengthen the squad and I would presumably work out that £200,000 is not value for money.

I know the above is oversimplifying it but surely it surely makes sense.  It does to me at least but what do I know about being a football manager?

I would also add that as manager it would be fair to assume I may not be privy to all the clauses in a contract eg sell on clauses etc, etc.

I've no idea who would replace him and I'd doubt the board do either. Who will Nelms actually know in the Scottish or indeed British or European game?

However it is undeniable that we are going backwards. As has already been said, too many gambles, too many projects.
He seems to stick by his players though, McGowan and McPake for example. Time for them to go through brick walls for him.