All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

FWIW - I'm pretty much against players remaining with their mates in Sunday League. Get them into a professional environment at a certain age. I'm certainly against that happening at 9/10/11 years old though. That's just stupid. 

I wonder how many of these 9/10/11 year olds actually make it to full time football, never mind the 1st team. 

How do the boys at this age manage to even get under the club’s radar. Is simply down to the parents putting them to a club’s coaching classes and the club like the look of them?

21 minutes ago, Dele said:

That's not strictly true. They snap them up and then send them out on loan (usually with a fee) and if they improve enough they will play them and if not, sell to the highest bidder. Morally it's questionable, in a business sense its a great ploy. 

Its literally what Celtic do, just at a higher level.

Edited by Crawford
Imbecile

8 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I wonder how many of these 9/10/11 year olds actually make it to full time football, never mind the 1st team. 

How do the boys at this age manage to even get under the club’s radar. Is simply down to the parents putting them to a club’s coaching classes and the club like the look of them?

you'll find a lot of sunday league managers will be in contact with Dundee regarding any decent young player they get in their sunday boys team....I also know united used to have a scout who would be seen regularly at lochee park on a sunday.

22 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

you'll find a lot of sunday league managers will be in contact with Dundee regarding any decent young player they get in their sunday boys team....I also know united used to have a scout who would be seen regularly at lochee park on a sunday.

That’s not the case in my experience.  Sunday league managers are as keen as any other manager for their team to do well.  Why bring your best players to the attention of the scouts if your likely to lose them?

I see United scouts fairly regularly at my son’s matches - not to see him though! :lol:.   Unfortunately I don’t see Dundee scouts as often.  No idea if Dundee scouts are going to different games or there are simply not as many of them.

56 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Chelsea youth system is a disgrace....think they have about 40 youth players out on loan

42 players was the number at the end of January.

Apparently have over 30 players still at the club in the reserves aswell.

Obscene.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

That’s not the case in my experience.  Sunday league managers are as keen as any other manager for their team to do well.  Why bring your best players to the attention of the scouts if your likely to lose them?

I see United scouts fairly regularly at my son’s matches - not to see him though! :lol:.   Unfortunately I don’t see Dundee scouts as often.  No idea if Dundee scouts are going to different games or there are simply not as many of them.

both my sons ended up getting training and games with united due to a sunday league manager putting united on to them.

54 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

both my sons ended up getting training and games with united due to a sunday league manager putting united on to them.

That’s very good of their manager to do that, unless of course he thinks that by getting more of his players to pro youth level he is somehow showing himself to be a better coach.

For the sake of your sons though let’s hope Dundee Pro Youth poach them :lol:

55 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

That’s very good of their manager to do that, unless of course he thinks that by getting more of his players to pro youth level he is somehow showing himself to be a better coach.

For the sake of your sons though let’s hope Dundee Pro Youth poach them :lol:

it wasn't their manager who put their names forward ..it was managers they had played against....nothing came of it ...but my oldest did have a season playing pro youth for Montrose....he hated it and fucked off back to play with his mates.

I'm not disagreeing with you, clubs who can afford top players won't allow youngsters to develop in their starting eleven when they can just buy a finished article. 

I doubt Dundee (or anyone else for that matter) would be any different if they could afford to do it. 

FWIW - I'm pretty much against players remaining with their mates in Sunday League. Get them into a professional environment at a certain age. I'm certainly against that happening at 9/10/11 years old though. That's just stupid. 

I was taking a walk through Lochee Park a few weeks back and it was absolutely terrifying to see how Sunday League football seems to be at amateur level. I had totally forgotten and didn't really appreciate it at the time.

Grown men screaming and midgets playing on full sized pitches, mishitting the ball past 'keepers who have no chance of doing anything. Composed players being screamed at for trying to look up and pick a pass.

Just my opinion but the whole idea that we should be heading back to players being amateur is absolutely bonkers. My experience of it was that there are a lot of good people involved but also some absolute morons and these seem to be the guys that end up in positions of authority (which is always the case in volunteer organisations).

I don't know what the professional environment is like but it surely has to be a good thing having trained coaches and the delusional parents getting kept at a distance.

I think Scottish Football is still way behind. We've tried to implement some progressive ideas but morons hinder it at every opportunity and when we do it a wee bit and are still not successful, they use that as evidence that their old tried and tested techniques are best.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Charlie Adam leaving Stoke... you know what that means?...

Good evening.

Now that's interesting news, for me anyway and this is merely a humble long-term fans' opinion and observation.

Once 'Mr Subtitle Required' has been issued his pending jotters and rightly so,  an exciting combination to swiftly restore our rightful place in Scottish Football and as co-managers no less, would indeed be Jim Goodwin and Charlie Adam. 

A vastly talented (in their own way) collective pair of hungry, well focused, extremely knowledgeable in the right footballing sense. to provide a no nonsense approach on the sidelines and indeed more importantly on the park.

Both would provide a rich vein of football networking on both sides of the border and remember this co-manager thing is not a recent fashion, when Archie Knox left us to join Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen it was indeed as co-manager!!

Think clearly about it, Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, as bold as Brian was (and he was), they both confessed as a collective they were at their strongest!!!

Anyway. merely a thought.

Best regards as always.

19 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

it wasn't their manager who put their names forward ..it was managers they had played against....nothing came of it ...but my oldest did have a season playing pro youth for Montrose....he hated it and fucked off back to play with his mates.

That makes more sense.  Apologies,  I read your original post as though Sunday League managers often contact Dundee about players in their own team. 

It’s a massive commitment for kids playing pro youth.  I understand that since United’s new head of academy has arrived from Hamilton the kids now train 4 nights a week.  Some players will also play 2 games at the weekend.  One with their own age group and one with the age group above.

58 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

It’s a massive commitment for kids playing pro youth.  I understand that since United’s new head of academy has arrived from Hamilton the kids now train 4 nights a week.  Some players will also play 2 games at the weekend.  One with their own age group and one with the age group above.

That's a brilliant idea. Not sure if all clubs do that, but playing a level higher amps up the juniors while fluffing up the first teams egos.

15 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

When I ran a youth club in Perth , the promotion of boys to Pro Youth teams, while weakening that age group for a period always helped with promotion of the club to the younger teams. We got a reputation for being a pathway for the better players and a place for players to develop. Maybe we did not win as many trophies as some would have liked but that was never the aim

With regard to scouts , each club did it differently, one scout who we got to know worked with both Rangers and Dundee and many of our boys had spells at both teams . of the other local teams there was a little representation mainly at cup finals but you get used to seeing the same faces every week at the games so spotting a scout was easy.

What does frustrate is the likes of Hearts who would take 20 lads for a 6 week period, drop them all then pick up another 20 and so on all season. Many of the players just get so disillusioned and never return to the Sunday game.

5 hours ago, realmadrid said:

What does frustrate is the likes of Hearts who would take 20 lads for a 6 week period, drop them all then pick up another 20 and so on all season. Many of the players just get so disillusioned and never return to the Sunday game.

not sure if its still the same but when both my boys were playing sunday league what used to happen a lot was if a pro team wanted a certain player they'd end up taking 4/5 players from same team so the player they really wanted would feel at home...what would then happen is those 4/5 players would get punted and back to the boys league in which time the club they came from would have folded due to not being able to replace the players they lost.

19 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Good evening.

Now that's interesting news, for me anyway and this is merely a humble long-term fans' opinion and observation.

Once 'Mr Subtitle Required' has been issued his pending jotters and rightly so,  an exciting combination to swiftly restore our rightful place in Scottish Football and as co-managers no less, would indeed be Jim Goodwin and Charlie Adam. 

A vastly talented (in their own way) collective pair of hungry, well focused, extremely knowledgeable in the right footballing sense. to provide a no nonsense approach on the sidelines and indeed more importantly on the park.

Both would provide a rich vein of football networking on both sides of the border and remember this co-manager thing is not a recent fashion, when Archie Knox left us to join Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen it was indeed as co-manager!!

Think clearly about it, Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, as bold as Brian was (and he was), they both confessed as a collective they were at their strongest!!!

Anyway. merely a thought.

Best regards as always.

I like the sound of it,  email it to Nelms, you probably won't get a reply though (I never did).

Thank you.

Serious Question:

I know it's about as likely as Boris Johnston not sounding like a twat when he speaks or Boredomguy making a valid point, but if, by some miracle, we win our last three games of the season (unlikely, as I said), we would potentially stay up. Would you want that, knowing full well that it would mean the BOD would feel justified in having appointed McIntyre and keep him for next season? Or, is relegation and the potential example of Partick & Falkirk as "big" teams struggling to get back up and even potential further relegation a price worth paying to get him punted??

I would obviously want to see us staying up, but am really worried about what would happen under McIntyre. After four transfer windows with, at most, 5 decent signings, we really need to be hitting 75% success rate over the summer, Can't see McIntyre doing that...

the problem we have is every bloody signing we make on paper looks a decent signing...but the minute they put on the dark blue shirt they turn to shite....I put it down to management and game tactics...get a decent manager in and he'll make mediocre players better ie Kilmarnock under Clarke...what hes did there is outstanding.