All things Dundee FC

24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

We are shite. The fans deserve it. 3 people in meh section today in main stand. Quality

As a fan, I feel inclined to disagree. All we've done all season is show up and took the garbage we've been presented with. No wonder nobody showed up today.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

Ryan McGowan isn't as good a CH as either Darren O'Dea or Gensy.

Gensy makes more clangers admittedly, but I was consistently annoyed that McGowan was struggling in the air when up against Greg Stewart. He's static and regularly torn apart.

I'm not trying to say O'Dea or Kusunga are great because they both aren't good enough for a Premier team (Kusunga could be if he didn't have a but of the Gomis about him) but McGowan hasn't been an improvement and he's weak as hell for a CH.

Speaking of CH's, what I'd do for a CH partnership of Thomas Konrad/James McPake/ Kostadin Gadzhalov right now.

Edited by Ludo*1

4 minutes ago, Crawford said:

We are getting 9-12 points between now and the end of the season. 

(W-L) (L) (W) (W) (W).

12pts would mean doubling our current tally of wins for the season.

Admittedly three of those wins are against teams we're playing...but still. 

PS - it would also mean increasing by 200% our number of home wins.

Edited by The Master

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

12pts would mean doubling our current tally of wins for the season.

Admittedly three of those wins are against teams we're playing...but still. 

PS - it would also mean increasing by 200% our number of home wins.

Worth mentioning our centre half partnership in the next meeting could be Niall Keown (joke figure at Partick whos played 30 minutes in his four months here) and Liam Gordon. A partnership who have never played together before. Jason Kerr is suspended and Shaughnessy has been outed as a rat.

6 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Hartley's the best manager we've had for a long time, he just fucked his final season. 

Controversial but if we had a clean slate in the championship I'd probably him back. 

100% agree with that.

3 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Don’t think Hartley would want to come back to us tbh.

Hartley would drag his fat pus over hot coals to come back to a club that'll give him free reign after his absolute disaster at Falkirk.

He's not the worst shout for manager. He'd have arguably left us for a bigger club if Stewart and Hemmings weren't sold in the same month as each other.

He was sacked at the right time absolutely, but I reckon he'd be a good shout for a crack at the Championship.

He'd never be considered though. Too much baggage now.

6 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Don’t think Hartley would want to come back to us tbh.

Yes he would IMO.

He is almost unemployable for a Championship or above club. I said at the time that we were the biggest club he would manage, and I stand by that, we should have sacked him 15 months before we did.

9 minutes ago, srw said:

Yes he would IMO.

He is almost unemployable for a Championship or above club. I said at the time that we were the biggest club he would manage, and I stand by that, we should have sacked him 15 months before we did.

Nonsense. We did sack him too late admittedly. He should have been punted after the 7-0 game. Sacking him 15 month earlier would have been ridiculous. Especially ridiculous using hindsight as McIntyre or McCann aren't in the same league as Hartley.

Using hindsight, I'd have stuck with Hartley opposed to our subsequent appointments.

Edited by Ludo*1

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning our centre half partnership in the next meeting could be Niall Keown (joke figure at Partick whos played 30 minutes in his four months here) and Liam Gordon. A partnership who have never played together before. Jason Kerr is suspended and Shaughnessy has been outed as a rat.

You could field a centre-half pairing of Sooty and Sweep and we'd still fail to carve out even half a chance.

Except Kenny Miller, who will shoot over the bar from 6 yards out when 1-on-1 with the ashes of Harry Corbett. 

36 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nonsense. We did sack him too late admittedly. He should have been punted after the 7-0 game. Sacking him 15 month earlier would have been ridiculous. Especially ridiculous using hindsight as McIntyre or McCann aren't in the same league as Hartley.

Using hindsight, I'd have stuck with Hartley opposed to our subsequent appointments.

Hartley was sacked in April 2017, now I cant recall the exact figures, but our form from January 2016 to then was absolutely appalling. He had a good first two seasons, then a poor 6 months, then the 15 months or so where it was a complete disaster.

For the record, I consider Hartley to be a far superior manager than either McCann and McIntyre, but, this doesnt allow for Hartleys record to be whitewashed.  The club/Nelms have appointed two of the biggest charlatans in our history, and by fck does that say something.

Using hindsight, Id prefer the club to have completed a process of opening up the managers role to applications, picking the best few, interviewing them, and getting the right man for the job, as opposed to somehow going after a pundit, then a pr'ck.

Since January 2016, when I believe the downturn started

• 2015/16 season - won 6 out of 16 games, 4 at Dens
  • 2016/17 season - won 10 out of 38 games, 5 at Dens
  • 2017/18 season - won 11 out of 38 games, 6 at Dens
  • 2018/19 season - won 4 out of 33 games, 1 at Dens

Just shows how bad this season has been.

We're fucked. For what it's worth I don't buy Hartley was a great manager. He had fresh ideas at the start coupled with two of the best players in the league.

I think most even half decent managers could have done what he did with those players at his disposal. Compare it to someone like Steve Clark at Killie, or even Tommy Wright who consistently get the very best out of players.

We haven't had that in decades and the boards have consistently appointed whoever they see as the cheapest affordable candidate.

That we are still around is a miracle in itself.

6 hours ago, dd23 said:

We're fucked. For what it's worth I don't buy Hartley was a great manager. He had fresh ideas at the start coupled with two of the best players in the league.

I think most even half decent managers could have done what he did with those players at his disposal. Compare it to someone like Steve Clark at Killie, or even Tommy Wright who consistently get the very best out of players.

We haven't had that in decades and the boards have consistently appointed whoever they see as the cheapest affordable candidate.

Hartley had a great start, seemed fresh and had a lot of good ideas. By the end his team selections were a borderline sectionable offence and he really didn't seem to give a f**k any more.  He was massively hamstrung by the sale of Stewart and Hemmings for comparative buttons (another reason to be asking some searching questions of Nelms), but he signed a load of absolute dross and fully deserved his jotters. 

Arguably, the last manager we had to get results out of a limited group of players was Jocky in the last 90s before the Marrs unceremoniously binned him for the "experiment". That in itself is quite an interesting "what if" scenario. Had Jocky been allowed the stay and the Marrs decided to build sensibly on him keeping Dundee reasonably comfortably in the SPL. Would we have become a fairly established top tier club in the long run? 

Hartley had a great start, seemed fresh and had a lot of good ideas. By the end his team selections were a borderline sectionable offence and he really didn't seem to give a f**k any more.  He was massively hamstrung by the sale of Stewart and Hemmings for comparative buttons (another reason to be asking some searching questions of Nelms), but he signed a load of absolute dross and fully deserved his jotters. 
Arguably, the last manager we had to get results out of a limited group of players was Jocky in the last 90s before the Marrs unceremoniously binned him for the "experiment". That in itself is quite an interesting "what if" scenario. Had Jocky been allowed the stay and the Marrs decided to build sensibly on him keeping Dundee reasonably comfortably in the SPL. Would we have become a fairly established top tier club in the long run? 

That's absolutely true thinking about it.
The end of that season was really enjoyable, I remember going to Pittodrie with confidence and a really good Derby win towards the end of the season.
Also the end of the year before I think when they'd done pretty well, but the race was on to get the stands built. I think it was a game against Dunfermline but may be wrong, sitting in the Derry watching the har coming off the sea blowing from one end of Dens to the other and out through the spaces where the demolished terracing used to be.
The Dunfermline game was definitely the one where everyone had been given Pepperami on the way in and it got repeatedly lobbed at whoever was taking throw-ins for The Pars rather than being eaten.