All things Dundee FC

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's more the idea that usually when the question drops up of whom is better, it's a hard ask. There's fucking tonnes out there is my point. McCall was lauded as one of the best managers in the league by many on this forum at one point and Archibald had Thistle performing above their station for a good 2 and a bit seasons at least.

Would I be delighted if we went for either? No. Would I accept them over McIntyre? In a heartbeat. The point I was making was that there is options.

Archibald reeks of Hartley, a manager who's caught the losing habit and has no idea how to stop it. 

McCall is an atrocious manager, Craig Brown steadied the Motherwell ship and McCall simply reaped the benefits of having a stable club when the majority of other teams in the league were in turmoil, his spell there was 5 years ago, since then he took Rangers to 3rd in the second tier and their 6-1 loss to Motherwell in the play off, built a Bradford side who finished below Fleetwood Town and Scunthorpe, then had a 50% loss rate with Scunthorpe.

You'll be convincing yourself John Hughes will be a decent appointment soon. 

I dont think any of them would come in and change your fortunes at all, even if they kept you up youd be back in this situation next year.

I said earlier on in the season that I thought the similarities between McNamara and McCann were frightening and I could see Dundee falling apart due to having a media savvy "one of the boys" manager with absolutely no substance at all (and who then gets off with it in the media because they are all pals). I am now beginning to see similarities between our previous owners and Dundee's current owners (not financially but with regards to footballing decisions). For me one of Thompson's biggest failings was his zero knowledge of football and him making terrible, terrible decisions with regards to managers and the infrastructure of the club. He was lucky when we had Levein as he basically took charge of the entire operation but when he left he gave the keys to the castle to McNamara who then systematically destroyed any infrastructure we had. Thompson let this happen and we ended up with an amateurish setup behind the scenes. Dundee seem to be in a similar situation in some ways. 
I'm not saying that we are all of a sudden perfect but appointing an actual Director of Sport and a proper Managing Director (both of whom who have had experience in football) will at least ensure we are going through the proper channels and proper systems when making decisions and appointing staff or recruiting players. Clubs like Dundee and United, clubs with decent budgets, infrastructure and fanbase only fail due to one major factor, bad leadership and bad decision making at the top.
I actually still hope Dundee stay up and also hope that we will join you in the Premiership next season. What I fear will happen will be a Championship containing both Dundee teams and potentially Arbroath and Forfar. Football in the city is as low as I can remember. 

Top top post mate.

Thank you.

From some of the posts ive read, you would think that Dundee were marooned at the bottom of the league by about 15 points! Its only 2 points to the nearest rival and 6 points behind the next team. The form has been poor but as soon as the split is here, anything can happen. Not exactly a lost cause by any means

Ps i obviously hope im completely wrong but theres a few twists and turns still to come

8 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

From some of the posts ive read, you would think that Dundee were marooned at the bottom of the league by about 15 points! Its only 2 points to the nearest rival and 6 points behind the next team. The form has been poor but as soon as the split is here, anything can happen. Not exactly a lost cause by any means

Ps i obviously hope im completely wrong but theres a few twists and turns still to come

i take it you have not watched them?

Ive seen them a couple of times recently. The Hibs game couldve went either way before Hibs put the foot down and Celtic were a bit lucky with the 96th min goal so its these tight margins that could go for or against you sometimes

23 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

There's more hope of pigs flying than us making up the 6 point gap on Hamilton and we'd 100% bottle a play off so we're as good as down.

We just collapse whenever we concede a goal, and our defence isn't good enough to not concede. If you'd seen us perform in the last couple of games you'd get it.

2 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

There's more hope of pigs flying than us making up the 6 point gap on Hamilton and we'd 100% bottle a play off so we're as good as down.

We just collapse whenever we concede a goal, and our defence isn't good enough to not concede. If you'd seen us perform in the last couple of games you'd get it.

I'm not sure if you went through to Paisley, but that was one of the most depressing games I've ever seen.

Elation after 30 seconds and then 94 minutes and 30 seconds of abject misery.

13 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

This was exactly us the year we went down. Often went ahead, missed multiple chances to kill the game, before losing a goal then our arse collapsing and losing another and ultimately the game.

You are not out of touch with The Maureens yet, but I reckon the best you can hope for is the playoffs, which  may well be against us, which I imagine is the outcome none of us want.

Shite isn't it?

28 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I'm not sure if you went through to Paisley, but that was one of the most depressing games I've ever seen.

Elation after 30 seconds and then 94 minutes and 30 seconds of abject misery.

I was, unfortunately. 10 minutes or so of playing well, giving a promising performance, then we shat the bed with no signs of getting back in the game.

13 minutes ago, MacArab said:

This was exactly us the year we went down. Often went ahead, missed multiple chances to kill the game, before losing a goal then our arse collapsing and losing another and ultimately the game.

You are not out of touch with The Maureens yet, but I reckon the best you can hope for is the playoffs, which  may well be against us, which I imagine is the outcome none of us want.

Shite isn't it?

Our past few seasons have been very, very bad but this one takes the biscuit. 

It will absolutely be the play offs at best, but if you find someone who's tipping us to get that far then it's one of the more optimistic on here. You can try and be as positive as you want, but if you're watching our last few games and saying we'll stay up based on those you're verging into delusion territory.

And yes, a derby play off would be the worst possible thing in the world. Fun for everyone outwith Dundee, obviously, but the thought of it isn't even worth thinking about.

Edited by Louis Litt

7 hours ago, dd23 said:

So Saturday against Aberdeen has only the virtue that when we get pumped the other 2 playing each other means they can't both get appreciably further away.

Wondering if there is something truly rotten at the heart of Dens. My old man stopped going in the early 70s after the golden years because he was fed up of the board. Back then they were taking dividends out of the club apparently (seems laughable now) but in some ways the fact that the club still exists in any shape or form given the way it has been run over the years since its incredible in itself. What we see on the pitch is the equivalent of forty plasters on a septic wound. Trying to stop the spread of an infection rather than treating it. The Bain situation is a good illustration. Popular for a good while with the fans, becomes a lightening rod for criticism in a failing team, falls out with a poor manager so an ideal scapegoat, everyone thinks we're lucky to get him off the books and he'll do f**k all with his attitude and within a year he's first choice at Celtic and Scotland. Unforeseeable for fans here, as the pish cycle swallows up everything and just inevitably spits out more pish. Where we go now God alone knows but when we were backs to the wall after - 25 the thing that saved us was a group of guys who really loved the club.

Seems from the outside that there is almost nobody on the playing side of the club now who, compared to the minus 25 guys, really gives a toss.

There's a lot in this tbh. I started going to Dens as a naive 14 year old in 1987. We were a decent side then and from what I recall there was a fairly optimistic feel about the place, my old man reckons the feelgood factor was still kicking about from Archie Knox's time, with Jocky having taken over. Angus Cook started the downfall imo, firstly selling John Brown in January '88 when we looked on course to qualify for the UEFA Cup - obviously we then had a total arse collapse and finished 7th or something. Jocky got a good offer from Aberdeen and left to be replace by Dave "Coco" Smith, Cook's pal and an astonishingly useless manager who somehow did the double over Celtic before being emptied. Totally uninspiring appointments like John Blackley and Gordon Wallace followed, Tommy Coyne was sold and even though we didn't actually go down until May 1990, there was a certain inevitability about it all. The 90's were a mix of the decent, the bad, and the fucking woeful and the Marrs almost had us gone by spending 23million to finish 6th once. 

We've since had an utterly risible series of owners/BoDs, some hilariously shit managers and an incalculable number of poor signings. This season has that same feeling of doom that 89-90 had. At least that team had some fight. 

We've had decades of being largely chicken-hearted losers. Almost every "crunch" game at Dens results in a feeble defeat. Even if we somehow make the play-offs there is absolutely no danger we'll have the bottle to win it. 

Being relegated in a play-off with the DABs, three seasons after relegating them ourselves, and thereby losing pretty much our only piss-poor bragging right into the bargain would simply be the most Dundee FC thing ever. 

Fucking shite. 

Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Being relegated in a play-off with the DABs, three seasons after relegating them ourselves, and thereby losing pretty much our only piss-poor bragging right into the bargain would simply be the most Dundee FC thing ever.

Chin up mate.

We're not making it to the play-offs.

6 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

There's a lot in this tbh. I started going to Dens as a naive 14 year old in 1987. We were a decent side then and from what I recall there was a fairly optimistic feel about the place, my old man reckons the feelgood factor was still kicking about from Archie Knox's time, with Jocky having taken over. Angus Cook started the downfall imo, firstly selling John Brown in January '88 when we looked on course to qualify for the UEFA Cup - obviously we then had a total arse collapse and finished 7th or something. Jocky got a good offer from Aberdeen and left to be replace by Dave "Coco" Smith, Cook's pal and an astonishingly useless manager who somehow did the double over Celtic before being emptied. Totally uninspiring appointments like John Blackley and Gordon Wallace followed, Tommy Coyne was sold and even though we didn't actually go down until May 1990, there was a certain inevitability about it all. The 90's were a mix of the decent, the bad, and the fucking woeful and the Marrs almost had us gone by spending 23million to finish 6th once. 

We've since had an utterly risible series of owners/BoDs, some hilariously shit managers and an incalculable number of poor signings. This season has that same feeling of doom that 89-90 had. At least that team had some fight. 

We've had decades of being largely chicken-hearted losers. Almost every "crunch" game at Dens results in a feeble defeat. Even if we somehow make the play-offs there is absolutely no danger we'll have the bottle to win it. 

Fucking shite. 

Thank you. 

Well put!

But we all know that come the start of next season no matter what league we are in and whatever shite manager we have, the optimism will return.

Only to be papped out the league cup early doors by Alloa, get a lucky draw against Forfar/ well beat by Livingston (depending on what league we are in) and endure a season of disappointments, manager merry go rounds and shite bag players that were good on YouTube once.

It's the Dundee way.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

McIntyre is our Mixu.

Mixu won 8 out of 29 games in charge of United. With that win rate we'd have another 15 points and be home and clear by now. Being compared to JM is very harsh on the Finn! 

That's how awful and incompetent McIntyre is.

Guest My Brother Woody

So McIntyre is still in charge for tomorrow? do the board not watch any of the games? heads are gone, confidence is shot. Will be 2-0 down after half an hour tomorrow.

DFC in the community are trying to raise support in order to win a £43,500 grant in order to continue a health improvement programme in the city. There's also a couple of seconds of John Nelms talking about it. Takes 2 minutes to vote: https://www.thepeoplesprojects.org.uk/projects/view/come-dine-with-dee

To go back to earlier posts, I was going to post a lengthy script about how Stuart McCall did when managing us and why he would almost certainly be an upgrade on Mcintyre.

The best thing I can say to make it relevant to Dundee fans, however, is that he had Tom Hateley playing like Cafu at times. Take from that what you will.

10 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Probably the best take I've read on our inevitable shambles.

1 hour ago, My Brother Woody said:

So McIntyre is still in charge for tomorrow? do the board not watch any of the games? heads are gone, confidence is shot. Will be 2-0 down after half an hour tomorrow.

I doubt they’re guaging the fans thoughts either. Mind you if they did McIntyre wouldn’t have ever been at the club, we would’ve avoided the Billy Dodds fiasco and we would actually have held on for a couple of weeks to see who’d applied for the manager’s job and go through an interview process. All to fuckin easy for our basket case of a club of course  

Edited by Yenitit