All things Dundee FC

46 minutes ago, The Master said:

Er...no, we held sod all. 

We had a player that wasn't ours, a player that was ours but wanted out, and a player that was ours and whose valuation had been met.

You do realise that if we refused to play ball, Celtic could have still bought Hendry and recalled Allan, while Hibs sent back Bain and Celtic found a different keeper. Net result - we end up losing two players we wanted to keep, regaining a player we wanted rid of, and bring in nobody new.

Hence, "pair of 8s". 

You do realise that if we refused to play ball, Celtic could not have still bought Hendry whom they were desperate to purchase. You're underplaying the hand we had tbh.

10 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Spot on, yet more panty wetting from him.

If you're happy with this, then more fool you. We are currently 2 points less off than we were last season. People are saying we're playing much better football (Barring 1 or 2 games - I've yet to consistently see that). We've sold off our best CH and allowed our best creative player to leave. We have a manager that is playing tombola with the starting line-ups with no real consistency to any given tactic.

Is it because McCann is a hero that he's being afforded more time than Hartley? Because the league table suggests he's currently doing a poorer job - Particularly so, if you take into account that he's brought in better players than we had last season.

It's not 'panty wetting' - It's realism. It's easy to fall into the Dark Blue trap of thinking everything is going to be okay, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest it will be. I traditionally stick by managers even when most have turned purely because I can see a glimmer of hope. I can't currently.

Edited by Ludo*1

12 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

You do realise that if we refused to play ball, Celtic could not have still bought Hendry whom they were desperate to purchase. You're underplaying the hand we had tbh.

If they met our valuation, why on earth would we not sell, regardless of any other goings-on?

Waiting until the Summer, hoping he neither had a drop in form nor picked up an injury would have been a monumental risk. 

1 minute ago, The Master said:

If they met our valuation, why on earth would we not sell, regardless of any other goings-on?

Waiting until the Summer, hoping he neither had a drop in form nor picked up an injury would have been a monumental risk. 

We're basically arguing over semantics. You seen us from a position of weakness when it came to Celtic, I seen us in a strong position.

I don't think that's a monumental risk either. I think risking our survival in this league without a replacement for Hendry is a bigger risk.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What part of Neil , Celtic have made us a very lucrative offer for young Jack Hendry, the board feel it is an offer we can't reject, therefore we intend to conclude this deal before the close of the window, we hope you understand our viewpoint on this and are hopeful you can use one of our current playing staff to replace Jack- the BoD, do you not understand  ?

Boards of directors give no thought to the opinions of the lifeblood of their clubs ( the fans ) when transfer fees are being agreed, the role of a club's board is to ensure the longevity of the clubs they are directors of, if fans disagree with the decisions made by the BoDs, they have an opportunity to show their resentment by not renewing their season tickets.

From what you say I can't quite make out if your disgust is at the deal being concluded or the fact it was done too late to source replacements, if it's the former I would suggest your being a tad short sighted. By failing to agree to this deal the BoDs would have been negligible in the role they provide for Dundee FC, I recall the days of the Marr brothers and dismissing this offer could have resulted in revisiting the troubles the club endured under their stewardship which I'm sure you would not wish to endure again.

TBF to Ludo, all offers for key players should be rejected when your in the midst of a relegation battle, you've not got any replacement, and its half an hour from the deadline. While the "every player has a price" mantra is bang on for clubs our size, its got to be a sensible sale.

22 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If you're happy with this, then more fool you. We are currently 2 points less off than we were last season. People are saying we're playing much better football (Barring 1 or 2 games - I've yet to consistently see that). We've sold off our best CH and allowed our best creative player to leave. We have a manager that is playing tombola with the starting line-ups with no real consistency to any given tactic.

Is it because McCann is a hero that he's being afforded more time than Hartley? Because the league table suggests he's currently doing a poorer job - Particularly so, if you take into account that he's brought in better players than we had last season.

It's not 'panty wetting' - It's realism. It's easy to fall into the Dark Blue trap of thinking everything is going to be okay, but there is absolutely nothing to suggest it will be. I traditionally stick by managers even when most have turned purely because I can see a glimmer of hope. I can't currently.

McCann and the board have done well to get rid of most of the truly hopeless players Hartley brought in.  Players such as Williams, Vincent and Hately were on good money and I’m certain it will have cost Dundee a fair bit of money to get them out the door.

McCann hinted heavily that he was not in a position to do deals within the January transfer window if Hendry had not been sold.  That would suggest that money is tight.

So no, I don’t think McCann is being afforded more time than Hartley. Hartley got us top 6 in his first full season but it was downhill from there afterwards.  Hartley was given plenty of time.  He just didn’t use it very well.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why does Happyaccie continue to quote me when the deluded c**t knows he's on ignore? Also, why despite me having him on ignore do I get a notification to say he's quoted me?

Why don't you understand that Dundee FC like all others in Scotland are seen as selling clubs, your gripe about the club you support is baffling, the BoDs were fully justified in concluding the deal for Hendry, as one of your fellow fans said to reject such an offer in order to keep Hendry till the summer was a risk, loss of form or a bad injury would have seen the value of Hendry plummet, the board were acting in their belief for the good of the club. Whether this risks Dundee's place in the Premiership would I suggest be a moot point whilst considering this deal.

I believe you still have a fan representative who attends board meetings, if you feel you have a genuine grieviance in this matter I would ask that representative to make your views known to the BoD.

30 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

You armchair supporters don’t get a say!

Did you watch it?

No, I was working, thank f**k. I had to make do with the text commentary.

Moving thousands of miles away to escape the perpetual disappointment does not work btw. 

TBF to Ludo, all offers for key players should be rejected when your in the midst of a relegation battle, you've not got any replacement, and its half an hour from the deadline. While the "every player has a price" mantra is bang on for clubs our size, its got to be a sensible sale.

Fair point. As I said earlier with regard to Scott Allan I suspect NM had some sort of problem with him and was glad to get rid. With regard to Jack Hendry I suspect there was either a release clause at a certain value either in writing or given verbally, that was triggered (and hence the reason we got half decent money) and after the Hemmings debacle the board and manager have decided to keep it zipped.

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Nelms and McCann will potentially have a lot to answer for.

Our Baldy Snake and Ratnamara.

F*ck sake, calm down. You’re actually off your head, Ludo.

Today was awful, but I really dunno how you can draw that comparison. You really must have a short memory. 

To remind you; we were in a pathetic state at the start of this season, largely thanks to Hartleys mismanagement. Nelms gave him a wedge of money that was pissed against a wall. McCann has (at least) cleared out the majority of the dead-wood, replaced it with better players and started playing better football. Plus got us a record fee from a play that’s been here for half a season (who cost us nothing).

The league is harder, money is tighter and he deserves our support IMO.

In short; get a fucking grip.

37 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Fair point. As I said earlier with regard to Scott Allan I suspect NM had some sort of problem with him and was glad to get rid. With regard to Jack Hendry I suspect there was either a release clause at a certain value either in writing or given verbally, that was triggered (and hence the reason we got half decent money) and after the Hemmings debacle the board and manager have decided to keep it zipped.

If the Scottish Sun is to be believed, Allan "begged" McCann to let him go.

If the Scottish Sun is to be believed, Allan "begged" McCann to let him go.

Maybe but the fact Allan wasn’t starting suggests McCann thought he wasn’t up to 90 minutes. To quote DeeJango, and I agree, he was blowing out his arse after 30 minutes.

Who knows, but he’s gone [emoji26][emoji26][emoji26]

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's assuming they are in the position to reject - who knows what was in Hendry's contract when it came to offers.

Either way though they really should have had a plan B if Hendry went.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Maybe but the fact Allan wasn’t starting suggests McCann thought he wasn’t up to 90 minutes. To quote DeeJango, and I agree, he was blowing out his arse after 30 minutes.

Who knows, but he’s gone [emoji26][emoji26][emoji26]

Believe he played 90 minutes for Hibs today (possibly subbed late on) only going on the interview on the radio while going home from Dens today. Interview went somewhere along the lines of.

"Scott Allen was tremendous today Neil?"
"Aye, and we got him fer fuxx all. Dundee...what are they like, Jeez"

I can see both sides here:

Selling an important player without the ability to adequately replace him deserves to be punished, either by losing a trophy or relegation.

However, it's not as if you've been ripping up the league with Hendrie in your defence. If you're 2 points worse off from last year at this stage, when you were gash, then it stands to reason you're still pretty gash.