All things Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Good shout.

Tend to forget that he came back to the club for a second spell. 

Difficult to draw a line between 'club legend' and 'cult hero', because I'd definitely put Gary Harkins in the later if not the former, but other than that I think you have to go back to Nemsadze because CC33 is really more 'cult hero' territory for me given he was only at Dens for about 5 months or something. Actually, on 2nd thoughts I'd argue Harkins does qualify as a legend. Three spells, the whole -25 points season, so many memorable moments, goals, and performances. So aye, GGH.

Yep, agree my man. Was busy searching for a decent snap whilst you were obviously typing the above. 

It's GGH for me also, every day of the week.

garyharkins.thumb.jpg.e34ef830c9fc089d2f452f6a6a03e78e.jpg

58 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Don't get me wrong I don't mind Gowser that much and he was never the biggest problem over the years. He deserves thanks for his years at the club doing his best and giving us some great moments. My point is just that he shouldve been binned years ago and taking away his character he was slap bang average at best over his tenure at Dens.

You're right he's had to put up with alot of terrible players such as Kerr around him. If anyone's watching Partick tonight and can see McMillans performance it's scary what we need to put up with.

Thank you.

I’ve not been watching but McMillan is a pretty special player. Holt has also looked good all season for Thistle too and he was hounded out of Dens as not good enough for us. 
If we could swap Kerr for McMillan I’d happily drive Kerr down and McMillan back but I don’t think it’s happening. 

Rab then Barry Smith and then Jocky were the last 3 legends to be at the club.

The likes of Nemsadze, GGH, McGowan etc fall into being massive heroes and always be remembered fondly but not sure they tip into legend status for me.

Dunno what my criteria is right enough. Just the feel.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rab then Barry Smith and then Jocky were the last 3 legends to be at the club.

The likes of Nemsadze, GGH, McGowan etc fall into being massive heroes and always be remembered fondly but not sure they tip into legend status for me.

Dunno what my criteria is right enough. Just the feel.

Good post Ludo

We have been bereft of any players in recent times that you could truly call a club legend. No one sticks around long enough for that nowadays and Celtic & Rangers win everything there could be year on year. 

302 appearances for the club, a decent footballer who gave his all any time he was on the pitch and no, you don't need to be the best player in the world to set standards. Someone has to set them and they go beyond footballing ability. Its effort, application and determination. No one can deny he gave that for Dundee and rather than berate him for being an average to above average Scottish footballer, I'd like to thank him for that.

Too many times Dundee fans pick up on the negatives of players, yes Cammy is pretty shite and we can do better, yes Mcgowan wasn't Zidane but ffs lets give them some sort of credit for what they've gave for the club.

3 minutes ago, Girth said:

Surely another back up!? I’d wish we’d sign new players that were good!

I like Ashcroft, he’s been off it since his injury but a pre-season might sort that out.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Charlie Reilly and a bunch of players signing their contracts.

If I had to guess another random one, I'll go Ash Taylor.

I reckon it'll all be internal extensions tbh. We'll see though, maybe a surprise in there.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

We have been bereft of any players in recent times that you could truly call a club legend. No one sticks around long enough for that nowadays and Celtic & Rangers win everything there could be year on year. 

302 appearances for the club, a decent footballer who gave his all any time he was on the pitch and no, you don't need to be the best player in the world to set standards. Someone has to set them and they go beyond footballing ability. Its effort, application and determination. No one can deny he gave that for Dundee and rather than berate him for being an average to above average Scottish footballer, I'd like to thank him for that.

Too many times Dundee fans pick up on the negatives of players, yes Cammy is pretty shite and we can do better, yes Mcgowan wasn't Zidane but ffs lets give them some sort of credit for what they've gave for the club.

Not for me.

I'll never praise application and full effort. I expect that from every single footballer who puts on the Dark Blue top.

Our club is failing year in year out due to the playing staff and I want better. We as a club should be doing better aswell.

Ashcroft re-signs, he can be fine as a squad player. Not too disappointed with that. Ideally we would only be keeping one out of him and Sweeney however.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Not for me.

I'll never praise application and full effort. I expect that from every single footballer who puts on the Dark Blue top.

Our club is failing year in year out due to the playing staff and I want better. We as a club should be doing better aswell.

Ashcroft re-signs, he can be fine as a squad player. Not too disappointed with that. Ideally we would only be keeping one out of him and Sweeney however.

Thank you.

We both want the same things.

My general 'fine with it' attitude of signing the likes of Ashcroft, Legzdins and Cammy (probably a few more to come) is on the condition that they are squad players and not considered good enough to lead in the starting 11.