All things Dundee FC

12 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

Byrne's a great example of a player who becomes better and better in a fan's head each game he spends sitting on the bench. He had an excellent spell shortly before signing his contract extension but since then hasn't done anything  impressive.  

Bowyer clearly doesn't rate him. He can still go out on loan I think. Maybe Dunfermline.

Edited by Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Should be McGhee and Williamson, no brainer. Maguire is no better than Byrne, worse. IMO. The big lump Kwame is no use. Good from Fisher today, looks a player, same with Cameron, no more pens though, Robinson is the taker should've been him.

Totally agree. Anyone with DeeTV go and watch Maguire in the first half. I'd hazard a guess he gives the ball away twenty times - particularly in the first fifteen minutes.

He put in a couple of meaty challenges in the second half and gets applauded. Pains me sometimes the Dundee fans. Him and McGhee as a pairing will cost us alot of points until the seasons end. Slightly annoys me if we have a chance to get Williamson permanent he'd be well within his rights to tell us to f**k off being dropped for two people only used for 'legs' as opposed to footballing ability. 

As for Kerr today he showed again why he can't be a first team starter for us particularly if we harbour any ambitions of being a successful premiership side. To end on a positive Sweeney and Ashcroft are in a much better place than the first quarter of the season, long may it continue. 

Thank you. 

I’ve liked what I’ve saw of Maguire so far. He’d be the guy who plays in front of the 2 centrehalfs with the rest of the midfielder’s battling out for the other 2 positions. I’d like it to be Williamson and Cameron on current form. It’s not by coincidence that we’ve hardly conceded any opportunities against us the games Maguire’s played in. You’d think Motherwell could do with him in their current predicament. 

I’m looking for a guy in his position to win headers, win tackles, break up play, cover for others dragged out of position and to pass forward early. That’s what he’s been doing. I’m not looking for him to be opening teams up. 

Edited by Yenitit

19 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Totally agree. Anyone with DeeTV go and watch Maguire in the first half. I'd hazard a guess he gives the ball away twenty times - particularly in the first fifteen minutes.

He put in a couple of meaty challenges in the second half and gets applauded. Pains me sometimes the Dundee fans. Him and McGhee as a pairing will cost us alot of points until the seasons end. Slightly annoys me if we have a chance to get Williamson permanent he'd be well within his rights to tell us to f**k off being dropped for two people only used for 'legs' as opposed to footballing ability. 

As for Kerr today he showed again why he can't be a first team starter for us particularly if we harbour any ambitions of being a successful premiership side. To end on a positive Sweeney and Ashcroft are in a much better place than the first quarter of the season, long may it continue. 

Thank you. 

There's still a place for mcghee in the starting 11 imo, even have him are RB in place of kerr and if hes fit start Clampin at LB

23 minutes ago, K.T said:

McCall sacked by Partick today is reminiscent of the way we sacked McPake

Agreed. Probably the right thing to do in the long term but could be catastrophic in the short term.

McGhee is at his level, not overly impressive but just seems to do enough. We need a good, sound holding midfielder and McGuire was pretty garbage 1st half, although he had, to be fair, some really good moments.  Williamson should start, and with him, McGuire has a good out ball and it's maybe worth giving this pair a run to see if it develops. I'd still prefer to see McGowan doing the main holding midfielder role but will he ever return?

Reading back, I see the Cammy haters are piping up again. Once again he is the least of our problems but some just can't seem to help themselves. 

To be fair, I'm not getting the hate on Maguire - I think he's overall an improvement on Byrne. A large section of Dee's seem to forget Byrne was louping for a good spell. I just didn't really agree with his treatment from Bowyer but I actually trust his judgement.

The starting line up definitely felt like a 'B' team with our stronger team starting the 2nd half. I feel like Bowyer is giving McCowan as much opportunity as possible and he isn't grabbing it. Like a lot on here I am getting more and more frustrated with him. 

The partnership with Jakubiak and Robinson looks to be promising so lets try and get them on the pitch together more and more. 

The boy Hannant looks decent from his short cameo yesterday so excited to see more of him.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

To be fair, I'm not getting the hate on Maguire - I think he's overall an improvement on Byrne. A large section of Dee's seem to forget Byrne was louping for a good spell. I just didn't really agree with his treatment from Bowyer but I actually trust his judgement.

The starting line up definitely felt like a 'B' team with our stronger team starting the 2nd half. I feel like Bowyer is giving McCowan as much opportunity as possible and he isn't grabbing it. Like a lot on here I am getting more and more frustrated with him. 

The partnership with Jakubiak and Robinson looks to be promising so lets try and get them on the pitch together more and more

The boy Hannant looks decent from his short cameo yesterday so excited to see more of him.

Totally agree regarding Maguire.  I think he’s definitely improved the team and I think he will continue to improve as a player.  Not sure what more we can realistically expect.

Again, I agree regarding Jakubiak and Robinson.  I definitely think they are the best attacking pairing.  I don’t want to be down on the lad as I think he puts in a real effort but I’m just not convinced about Thomas.  Too slow to anticipate to be an effective striker for what I’ve seen so far.  As I’ve said before I don’t think Tolaj is ready or good / strong enough to assist us in any way for the 3-4 months he is here.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

The partnership with Jakubiak and Robinson looks to be promising so lets try and get them on the pitch together more and more. 

I also don’t get the ‘Williamson is the messiah’ vibe. He’s had good games and shite games. Maguire has made 75 appearances for Motherwell, mostly in the Premiership, 100 senior appearances in total, I can see how the manager ‘trusts’ him. 

56 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I also don’t get the ‘Williamson is the messiah’ vibe. He’s had good games and shite games. Maguire has made 75 appearances for Motherwell, mostly in the Premiership, 100 senior appearances in total, I can see how the manager ‘trusts’ him. 

Williamson has definitely improved over the course of the season. He started off pretty poorly in my opinion but benefit of the doubt getting used to a new team etc..

I'm not having the 'must start' chat though. No one in our midfield to date has demanded a spot in the starting 11 given their inconsistencies. Competition has maybe focused the mind. 

18 hours ago, Yenitit said:

I’ve liked what I’ve saw of Maguire so far. He’d be the guy who plays in front of the 2 centrehalfs with the rest of the midfielder’s battling out for the other 2 positions. I’d like it to be Williamson and Cameron on current form. It’s not by coincidence that we’ve hardly conceded any opportunities against us the games Maguire’s played in. You’d think Motherwell could do with him in their current predicament. 

I’m looking for a guy in his position to win headers, win tackles, break up play, cover for others dragged out of position and to pass forward early. That’s what he’s been doing. I’m not looking for him to be opening teams up. 

The problem is when he plays with McGhee. McGhee fits the bill if you want someone to keep it simple and put themselves about. Playing both completely kills any sort of improvisation or skill in the middle which is maybe something Bowyer will accept leaving that for the front four (including Cameron further forward).

For me in games like yesterday we would've taken the game by the scruff of the neck earlier with Williamson in (who was our best player for well over a month in November/December). He's technically up there with our best players and puts the likes of Mulligan to shame.

Maguire is the new guy in central midfield and therefore will be judged as he's giving us absolutely nothing different and really isn't doing much better than Grayson. Luckily the teams we've played have been reeking so far so we would've won either way. Let's see what he does at Morton away.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

The problem is when he plays with McGhee. McGhee fits the bill if you want someone to keep it simple and put themselves about. Playing both completely kills any sort of improvisation or skill in the middle which is maybe something Bowyer will accept leaving that for the front four (including Cameron further forward).

For me in games like yesterday we would've taken the game by the scruff of the neck earlier with Williamson in (who was our best player for well over a month in November/December). He's technically up there with our best players and puts the likes of Mulligan to shame.

Maguire is the new guy in central midfield and therefore will be judged as he's giving us absolutely nothing different and really isn't doing much better than Grayson. Luckily the teams we've played have been reeking so far so we would've won either way. Let's see what he does at Morton away.

Thank you.

He did play the full 90 (on his debut iirc) against Queens Park and I thought him and McGhee were good together that day. McGhee has had a fair few shite games in midfield though - I agree. Maybe Bowyer feels that playing Cameron, McMullan, Jakubiak and Robinson means you need 2 midfield anchors like that - the defence has looked better since they got a bit more cover in front of them.

As long as were winning I'm happy.

5 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

It’s fairly obvious McGhee’s Bowyer’s main man in midfield. Not for me though. I’d rather go Williamson in alongside Maguire and another which is obviously Cameron just now on how he’s performing. I’d play McGhee right back on Friday although Fisher has done really well. 

We won’t get a much harder game in this league than facing the league leaders in a must win game like Maguire played in. Let’s be honest he’s a big improvement on Grayson. 

11 hours ago, Yenitit said:

It’s fairly obvious McGhee’s Bowyer’s main man in midfield. Not for me though. I’d rather go Williamson in alongside Maguire and another which is obviously Cameron just now on how he’s performing. I’d play McGhee right back on Friday although Fisher has done really well. 

We won’t get a much harder game in this league than facing the league leaders in a must win game like Maguire played in. Let’s be honest he’s a big improvement on Grayson. 

Williamson and Maguire would be my choice as I don't like McGhee as a midfielder. But as you say Bowyer clearly sees McGhee as part of his best eleven, that's not going to change.

We'll have plenty games harder than Queens; they aren't near the best team in the league. They were absolutely woeful at Dens because they couldn't cope with being pressed. Their passing went to shit and they resorted to lobbing it. Teams have been giving them far too much respect. Partick are a better team and Morton style of play will cause us more problems on Friday.

I remember at half time against Queens thinking Maguire was abysmal - us winning 3 0 didn't alter that much although he done a bit more in the second half.

We needed better than Grayson but in his good performances I remember (ArbroathH, AcciesA, AyrH and Partick away) he was at a level above what Maguire is producing. The only thing Maguire is doing better is some big tackles which we know in Scotland is all people can see at times.

Up against Morton away can see us dropping points with a midfield of McGhee and Maguire and us playing a terrible brand of football akin to the Morten. Why not go there and show some attacking intent to outplay the diddies with Robinson, Jakubiak, Cameron, McMullen and Williamson all starting with an anchor infront of the defence.

Going to Morten with a mindset to make it a shitfest isn't imposing our qualities on them.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Williamson and Maguire would be my choice as I don't like McGhee as a midfielder. But as you say Bowyer clearly sees McGhee as part of his best eleven, that's not going to change.

We'll have plenty games harder than Queens; they aren't near the best team in the league. They were absolutely woeful at Dens because they couldn't cope with being pressed. Their passing went to shit and they resorted to lobbing it. Teams have been giving them far too much respect. Partick are a better team and Morton style of play will cause us more problems on Friday.

I remember at half time against Queens thinking Maguire was abysmal - us winning 3 0 didn't alter that much although he done a bit more in the second half.

We needed better than Grayson but in his good performances I remember (ArbroathH, AcciesA, AyrH and Partick away) he was at a level above what Maguire is producing. The only thing Maguire is doing better is some big tackles which we know in Scotland is all people can see at times.

Up against Morton away can see us dropping points with a midfield of McGhee and Maguire and us playing a terrible brand of football akin to the Morten. Why not go there and show some attacking intent to outplay the diddies with Robinson, Jakubiak, Cameron, McMullen and Williamson all starting with an anchor infront of the defence.

Going to Morten with a mindset to make it a shitfest isn't imposing our qualities on them.

Thank you.

Grayson was abysmal away to Partick. Remember people around me losing the plot that day with Bowyer about his performance. Max Anderson came on and changed that game. Grayson was hiding as per usual. 

The thing about Maguire and McGhee in midfield is that they’re protecting the back 4 and we now have the best defensive record in the league. We’ve stopped shipping goals, Arbroath aside, and it means there’s another 4 players in the team that can mostly concentrate on scoring. 

Edited by Yenitit

3 hours ago, Yenitit said:

Grayson was abysmal away to Partick. Remember people around me losing the plot that day with Bowyer about his performance. Max Anderson came on and changed that game. Grayson was hiding as per usual

The thing about Maguire and McGhee in midfield is that they’re protecting the back 4 and we now have the best defensive record in the league. We’ve stopped shipping goals, Arbroath aside, and it means there’s another 4 players in the team that can mostly concentrate on scoring. 

That’s my overriding memory of Grayson.  Far too often he would make a pass and not put himself in a position to receive the ball back again, especially in situations where he may get crunched.

In terms of controlling the ball / technique I think Grayson probably is ahead of Macguire but I personally think Macguire gives so much more to the team, not least in terms of his running, tackling, determination and positioning.

Edited by Shadow Play