All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

May I humbly suggest that our defeat was caused by far more than Kerr’s poor performance?

With regards to getting out this league I’m more concerned with our lack of ability to kill off teams when we are dominating large parts of the game.  

With regards to last night in particular I’m definitely more concerned with the substitutions made.  I get it that Bowyer wanted to give players more game time but there is no point in subbing players on, only to be left with the line up we ended up with.  I don’t think that does anyone’s confidence any good, least of all the players your looking to get game time.

All things considered I’m more annoyed I nearly froze myself to death last night rather than watching it on the TV with the wood burner on full blast!

2 up Bowyer began to treat it as a bounce game. Match fitness and rest for the stuff that matters and I completely understand why he did that. 

Game would never have reached extra time or penalties had Kerr lasted longer than 45 minutes though. After his attempt at goal in the first half his sense left.

Stopped marking, stopped running and was just watching the ball.

Silver linings, one less distraction.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

May I humbly suggest that our defeat was caused by far more than Kerr’s poor performance?

With regards to getting out this league I’m more concerned with our lack of ability to kill off teams when we are dominating large parts of the game.  

With regards to last night in particular I’m definitely more concerned with the substitutions made.  I get it that Bowyer wanted to give players more game time but there is no point in subbing players on, only to be left with the line up we ended up with.  I don’t think that does anyone’s confidence any good, least of all the players your looking to get game time.

All things considered I’m more annoyed I nearly froze myself to death last night rather than watching it on the TV with the wood burner on full blast!

I was certainly happy to be getting the jammies on when Robinson hammered his pen off the post.

Waiting on the highlights going up, and I know I'm his biggest fan, but 'live' I wasn't really thinking this is all Cammy's fault. Could well be it was.

I felt Ashcroft going off was a big loss, seemed to be pandemonium after that. Williamson and/or Byrne should have come on then - glaringly obvious subbies and McCowan and Cameron were getting a bit fucked.

Our inability to finish chances has been a big problem all season.

On the plus side I thought MaQuire was decent in the first hour and I thought Tolaj showed some flashes in his short cameo.

Poor Cillian, an absolute clusterfuck end to his career, a classic Dundee signing. Despite being an abject failure in his spell with us he seems like a pretty decent guy.

I went in to that game last night not really caring about the result - I'm angry about the fact we dragged ourselves in to another 30 minutes of football and then penalties with an important game at the weekend. Combine that with a couple injuries it was an absolutely pointless run out. 

Those two halves were Dundee in a nutshell this season though. First half excellent and Raith couldn't handle us, second half we were a joke.

One game and all that but Tolaj needs to be stronger in challenges, I've seen a few different opinions on this but I thought Maguire had a pretty poor game and sloppy in possession, McMullan (he looked knackered) and Jakubiak coming off changed the game for us. Bad decisions by Bowyer. 

It is also amazing just how much our defence goes to shit when Ashcroft isn't in it too. Wild.

26 minutes ago, Crawford said:

2 up Bowyer began to treat it as a bounce game. Match fitness and rest for the stuff that matters and I completely understand why he did that. 

Game would never have reached extra time or penalties had Kerr lasted longer than 45 minutes though. After his attempt at goal in the first half his sense left.

Stopped marking, stopped running and was just watching the ball.

Silver linings, one less distraction.

Good we agree it was not just because of Kerr’s performance that the game reached extra time and penalties.  I agree with you Bowyer didn’t take the game seriously enough by half time which is arguably a bit of a kick in the teeth for the fans , especially those who left their homes on a pretty wild and cold night to support the team.  I still think Bowyer could have handled the changes a lot better.

24 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

I was certainly happy to be getting the jammies on when Robinson hammered his pen off the post.

Waiting on the highlights going up, and I know I'm his biggest fan, but 'live' I wasn't really thinking this is all Cammy's fault. Could well be it was.

I felt Ashcroft going off was a big loss, seemed to be pandemonium after that. Williamson and/or Byrne should have come on then - glaringly obvious subbies and McCowan and Cameron were getting a bit fucked.

On the plus side I thought MaQuire was decent in the first hour and I thought Tolaj showed some flashes in his short cameo.

Poor Cillian, an absolute clusterfuck end to his career, a classic Dundee signing. Despite being an abject failure in his spell with us he seems like a pretty decent guy.

Agree re Ashcroft.  He’s the one who seems to control the back line.

Also agree re Tolaj BUT he’s incredibly raw by the looks of last night.  I’m also not sure he’s got the physicality for this league.  Hope I’m wrong but I can’t see him being of any great assistance in the half season we have him on loan.

Don't think I've ever cared less about a game than last night.

Never went and when Raith were pushing for a third I thought to myself 'just score I've had enough of the diddyness'.

The game looked absolutely done and Bowyer put on the likes of Sheridan to give him game time. Unfortunately the decision has probably ended his footballing career - absolutely no malice towards Sheridan as a human being but what a glaringly poor signing from McPake on a two year contract. That should be the end of it.

Onto league matters and we simply must beat Cove. Queens will beat the Morten on Saturday due to the Greenock lot being an absolute rabble and Imrie only jeeing his players up when they face the Dark Blue.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

As soon as Max Anderson began his approach, I knew he was missing. If ever a player was renowned for not having composure, it's him. Don't think Robinson's penalty was awful. Being the final one, the one to keep us in it he just put that wee bit more than normal into it to try and ensure it hit the corner and that sometimes happens.

I felt the same to be honest and given his touch was dreadful during the time he was on he would have probably been my last pick to take a pen. One of the things that annoyed me was Luke McCowan not stepping up to take one. The boy has a sweet left foot and is always wanting to take free kicks so why not have a free hit from 12 yards out????

3 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Agree re: Ashcroft, organisation seemed to go out the window and they were running through us. Was he injured? seemed to be complaining about something?

Sheridan came on and was winning everything been punted at him. I think he could have been a decent  20 minute bench option for us as his game time and fitness improved but he's done at Dundee now. Could see how gutted he was.

4 hours ago, AlanPartridge said:

Has he ever known how to play football?

You better watch you can’t criticise him in here!

Criticism where it's due. Goal 1, Sweeney looses out to cross ball, Sheridan can only direct to their player (unlucky) who knocks it back in from close range to Akio who shows great movement to nod ball infront of Kerr (hardly sleeping but possibly could do better).

Goal 2 - Tolaj is marking Stanton at edge of box. When ball is crossed in Kerr can see that Tolaj has lost his man. He makes an attempt to cover but is just too late 

49 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Criticism where it's due. Goal 1, Sweeney looses out to cross ball, Sheridan can only direct to their player (unlucky) who knocks it back in from close range to Akio who shows great movement to nod ball infront of Kerr (hardly sleeping but possibly could do better).

Goal 2 - Tolaj is marking Stanton at edge of box. When ball is crossed in Kerr can see that Tolaj has lost his man. He makes an attempt to cover but is just too late 

Also goal 2 - McGhee I think most culpable - totally asleep as his man is in acres of space to nod it to Staunton.

Ashcroft was injured when he went off, not much Bowyer can do about that but he should have seen things needed tightened up in midfield. Giving Sheridan minutes - ffs - what's wrong with giving Williamson, Byrne and Robertson 'minutes'?

I also think Jukubiak was struggling after his head nock - his level dropped after that and maybe that was the reason he went off, rather than Thomas.

Don't blame Anderson for his penalty - it was shite but if the keeper goes the other way it goes in, whereas, being brutally honest 100% of penalties that don't hit the  target are misses but I can't blame Robinson either - it's on the manager for sure.

Finally god knows what's happened to Mulligan, he's really dropped off and just seems to want to give away fouls and argue with the ref.

Good point on Mulligan. Couldn't control the ball last night and also doesn't have the skill for a wide player - just runs in straight lines and attempts to use his strength and pace.

He looks even less technical than Kerr which is really beyond comprehension. 

Not writing him off by any means but there's plenty to be worked on. If rumours are to be believed and he'll be away I wish him the best of luck cause he's certainly not ready to step up a level. Don't feel I'm being overly harsh and also don't think anyone who's watched him all season could argue with that.

In his most impressive displays he's been powering through the middle but is still lacking in the final pass/shot/cross. 90% of the times. Seen many a player in my time who have instantly looked to have the something extra including a rampaging Craig Forsyth pre season but at the moment Mulligan looks bang average.

As for Robertson - time is up. Time to let him go in the summer and if he has any real confidence in his ability he'll find a club he can play week in week out (Maybe McPake will take him or Anderson).

Thank you.

Watching the second half again (I must be mad).

First 20 minutes are much closer than the one way traffic of the first half but Dundee are still shading it in terms of possession and chances. Maybe missing Jakubiak's pace and power up front but things are still looking good.

Subs are made and the next 10 minutes are fairly uneventful.

Then the goal happens. I've seen Sweeney do this a few times both when Dundee are attacking and defending corners, he moves towards the ball, realises he has come too short and has to backtrack to try and meet it's flight. As a result he is on the backfoot and can't get much height in his jump and loses the header. The next is a bit of bad luck, Sheridan tries to clear but doesn't make much contact (was at full stretch, difficult clearance to make) and it falls to a Raith player with a free header. A third Raith player gets to the ball first and it's 2-1. If anyone's responsible for me, its Sweeney. After losing the initial header the ball is in the 6 yard box and it's chaos after that.

Second goal. Anticipating a long throw Dundee just flood their box, this means there's no one to press the midfield when Raith play it short. Sheridan is in no man's land and McCowan is too slow to realise it's up to him to stop the ball in to the box. The ball is floated in under minimum pressure and Stanton loses Kerr to head it in. Far too passive from Dundee, giving player's that much time and space is asking for trouble.

The rest is history.

A few other points:

• Robinson is clearly lacking sharpness having been recalled by Wimbledon to warm their bench for a few weeks.
  • Tolaj struggled with the aggression of the match, Scottish football is going to be a reality check for him.
  • Thomas is a handful, Raith looked more comfortable defensively when he went off.

45 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

Watching the second half again (I must be mad).

First 20 minutes are much closer than the one way traffic of the first half but Dundee are still shading it in terms of possession and chances. Maybe missing Jakubiak's pace and power up front but things are still looking good.

Subs are made and the next 10 minutes are fairly uneventful.

Then the goal happens. I've seen Sweeney do this a few times both when Dundee are attacking and defending corners, he moves towards the ball, realises he has come too short and has to backtrack to try and meet it's flight. As a result he is on the backfoot and can't get much height in his jump and loses the header. The next is a bit of bad luck, Sheridan tries to clear but doesn't make much contact (was at full stretch, difficult clearance to make) and it falls to a Raith player with a free header. A third Raith player gets to the ball first and it's 2-1. If anyone's responsible for me, its Sweeney. After losing the initial header the ball is in the 6 yard box and it's chaos after that.

Second goal. Anticipating a long throw Dundee just flood their box, this means there's no one to press the midfield when Raith play it short. Sheridan is in no man's land and McCowan is too slow to realise it's up to him to stop the ball in to the box. The ball is floated in under minimum pressure and Stanton loses Kerr to head it in. Far too passive from Dundee, giving player's that much time and space is asking for trouble.

The rest is history.

A few other points:

• Robinson is clearly lacking sharpness having been recalled by Wimbledon to warm their bench for a few weeks.
  • Tolaj struggled with the aggression of the match, Scottish football is going to be a reality check for him.
  • Thomas is a handful, Raith looked more comfortable defensively when he went off.

Agree with these two points. Tolaj needs to improve on his physicality for the next game. Thomas was handful for their defence but also brought others in to the game with the sheer focus that their defence put on him. He seems to be able to do things that Rudden and Sheridan can't which is be the big target man - when Robinson is fit I think him and Thomas up front could be a good pairing.